Subject: Broken Token with Rivalry Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Recently got myself a copy of Roll for the Galaxy. I haven't decided whether or not to get the Ambition expansion, but I'm curious if the Broken Token Insert will hold the Rivalry expansion.

I know there isn't much info on it, was hoping one of the designers can answer that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
It is possible to cram both expansions in with the Broken Token insert (Wei-Hwa's master copy does so), but -- due to all the items in Rivalry -- it's pretty hard. Your mileage may vary...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
It is possible to cram both expansions in with the Broken Token insert (Wei-Hwa's master copy does so), but -- due to all the items in Rivalry -- it's pretty hard. Your mileage may vary...

Any chance to get a sneak peek soon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Not until it makes it way further through the production process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Pro tip: Don't sleeve your tiles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:

I'm not completely sure my dice counts are accurate in the master copy, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be REALLY helpful to me if we can at least know if Rivalry will be adding some player interaction. I have been assuming so, based on the name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
It would be REALLY helpful to me if we can at least know if Rivalry will be adding some player interaction. I have been assuming so, based on the name.
Will it be sufficient though? I remember Tom Vassal and crew ended up being disappointed with Race For The Galaxy: Rebel Vs. Imperium because they thought the takeover mechanic wasn't really "all that". I'm recalling their commentary from memory, but specifically, it doesn't happen that often. AFAIK, it seemed like they thought this would turn Race more into an "ameritrash" title, but it seems in the end, Race is still a Euro game.

I don't if they'll add takeover-like stuff here, but it seems like you could expect more stuff like "if you have the most 'blah' compared to all the other players, then you get to do 'this'" type deals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe. I think the role selection interaction is there in group play, but very little in 2P. I bought Ambition, and I loved the green/orange die. But, I was hoping the achievement tiles would create a little more tension/indirect-interaction in 2P, but they didn't.

If I had the chance to play with more than 2 players even semi-occasionally, I would keep roll. But, since I only play 2P 99.99% of the time, Roll is probably going to get moved on unless Rivalry can introduce something to spice it up, particularly interaction.

Great game, it's just not getting to stretch it's legs out in our home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:

It would be REALLY helpful to me if I could at least know precisely what you consider player interaction and what you don't. Based on your description of Ambition, I simply can't tell if you would consider Rivalry to add player interaction or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has interaction for sure, with role selection. However, we don't feel much of that in 2P. The VP goals in the first expansion helped a little, but we found that once someone is working on one, it's far easier to just go after a different one in a 2P game.

I'm not sure direct attacks against other players would be welcomed by all, though I myself would probably enjoy some sort of variant for such a mechanic.

Maybe something that can stall other players or make certain tasks more arduous for other players would be interesting. Blocking and VP "sharing" is another form of interaction I enjoy. We only play Carcassonne 2P, and when we do, we are constantly blocking each other from being able to finish objectives and looking for ways to add ourselves into each others objectives to share the VP.

Denial is one of my favorite forms of indirect interaction. I actually intend to try some of the "tile market" variants for RftG, as they sounded interesting. We love the "market mechanic" in which you are able to take take that one thing the other player REALLY wanted/needed.

Maybe even a secondary game mechanic/component that introduces an economy or another element where interaction occurs. It would be a modular element for players seeking more direction interaction.

I apologize if my comment came across as a slight. I think Roll is a solid game and I want to keep it, but I am only ever able to play 2P, and it largely feels like multiplayer solitaire at that number. It's been sitting on my "math trade pile" for months, because even though I add it to every math trade, I never end up being willing to trade it for anything. My hopes for Rivalry have made that impossible for me to give it up just yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.