5 Posts

Catacombs (third edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Hmotha's modified sequence tested rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Derksen
Canada
flag msg tools
I played with a couple of new people last night, and for the first time, I took the role of the Overseer. I wanted to try out Hmotha with the updated shot sequence (rush > summon zombie > critical). It was pretty powerful, and I honestly never felt any reason to summon a skeleton warrior-- so the problem of one being obsolete just flipped. That's how it felt to me, anyway. I was thinking that a better solution might be to change the last shot from critical to stun. That way you can't hit the same hero with your summoned monster immediately without negating the stun effect. But then I read the FAQ again and found that apparently only rush/melee hits from heroes/allies cure stun. I feel like it would be better if any direct hit from anyone cures stun. This forces the Overseer to choose between dealing another point of damage to the same hero (during their stun) or choosing another target.

That said, I ended up winning, but not by much. One player miraculously missed a critical melee on Hmotha even though they were nearly touching. We couldn't believe it, but fortunately the player was a good sport about it. Also, the heroes went into the final room in pretty rough shape (Varesh was dead, and ally Elani was hanging by a thread).

It was a great game though. Hopefully they liked it enough to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron West
Canada
Greater Toronto Area
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Moon_Jelly wrote:
I played with a couple of new people last night, and for the first time, I took the role of the Overseer. I wanted to try out Hmotha with the updated shot sequence (rush > summon zombie > critical). It was pretty powerful, and I honestly never felt any reason to summon a skeleton warrior-- so the problem of one being obsolete just flipped. That's how it felt to me, anyway. I was thinking that a better solution might be to change the last shot from critical to stun. That way you can't hit the same hero with your summoned monster immediately without negating the stun effect. But then I read the FAQ again and found that apparently only rush/melee hits from heroes/allies cure stun. I feel like it would be better if any direct hit from anyone cures stun. This forces the Overseer to choose between dealing another point of damage to the same hero (during their stun) or choosing another target.

That said, I ended up winning, but not by much. One player miraculously missed a critical melee on Hmotha even though they were nearly touching. We couldn't believe it, but fortunately the player was a good sport about it. Also, the heroes went into the final room in pretty rough shape (Varesh was dead, and ally Elani was hanging by a thread).

It was a great game though. Hopefully they liked it enough to play again.

Thanks for the update, Rob. I will consider what you wrote here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Derksen
Canada
flag msg tools
No problem. I'm definitely still figuring out how things are balanced in practice which I'm finding is often different than expected.

For example, tonight's game let me see stun working properly and it actually felt good. Krista (my girlfriend/Overseer) liked that she could hurt my poor stunned heroes, and I liked how the effect forced me to either retreat or send somebody in to un-stun.

We didn't use Hmotha tonight, but I'm still not 100% happy with his shot sequence. I'm new to the whole board game thing to be honest, so settling for "house rules" is proving to be a challenge for me . My current thinking is that the zombie sequence is fine ending with a critical, but perhaps the skeleton warrior should end in a stun. That's on the basis that summoning the slightly weaker monster is followed by an always-useful critical, while summoning the missile-proof variant is followed by the more context-sensitive stun shot would provide some incentive to consider either shot. I'll do a few teat games before I break out the blue sharpie this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.