Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was playing the iOS app ... and I'd like to report an error. Is there an iOS page for this ... can't seem to navigate BGG very well. <sigh>

So per the card, "Set DEFCON to level 2. Any further Coup attempt by your opponent this turn, anywhere on the board, will result in GTNW. This event may be canceled at any time if the USSR player removes two Influence from Cuba ..."

So this Card is in effect, until the USSR player removes 2 influence.

So I followed it up with "How I learned to Stop Worrying..." and set the DEFCON level at 5, and because Cuban Missile Crisis is in play ... USSR still can't perform a coup anywhere!

Or so I thought! The iOS app voided the card.

Strict reading of cards, to me, indicates the Cuban Missile is still in play.

No?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valentine

Texas
msg tools
mb
CMC stays in effect for rest of turn until and unless canceled by removal of influence from the appropriate country. Defcon going up to 5 (or 3 or 4) does not cancel it. Not sure what you mean by "The iOS app voided the card."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It took the Missile Crisis card, and "canceled" it's effect when I played Dr. Strangelove.

However, you agree with my interpretation? I think it spot on, based on the card readings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[maˈtiːas]
Germany
Elzach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Brian wrote:
Was playing the iOS app ... and I'd like to report an error. Is there an iOS page for this ... can't seem to navigate BGG very well. <sigh>
=> http://playdek.invisionzone.com/index.php?/forum/84-twilight...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Either you've found a new bug, or you don't understand that the USSR can literally remove 2 influence from Cuba at any time to cancel CMC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Either you've found a new bug, or you don't understand that the USSR can literally remove 2 influence from Cuba at any time to cancel CMC.

If USSR did remove influence from Cuba ... then I wouldn't be reporting an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Brian wrote:
Benkyo wrote:

If USSR did remove influence from Cuba ... then I wouldn't be reporting an issue.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude. I monitor TS app rule bugs quite closely, and maintain a list of them. As a result, I have seen a lot of reported bugs that aren't. The game has been out a long while, so I am surprised to hear that a bug as big as this is being reported for the first time. I had thought that as far as genuinely new reports go, we were down to only bugs that occur in far more unusual situations. Using HILTSW to set Defcon to 5 after CMC is not that unusual a play, so perhaps there are other factors unique to your situation that caused the apparent bug.

In any case, before and after screenshots would definitely be welcome for confirmation. I think for solo play the actual file for the game can also be sent to Playdek, which is the best way of getting a fix rolled into the next patch (if one ever materialises).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree ... However, it was the USSR very next card play.

What I want to do next, is compare the app cards to my game cards, just to verify they are the same.

Also, interested in how to send a game file from an iOS device. Never saw that before ... so how is that done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Brian wrote:
Agree ... However, it was the USSR very next card play.

What I want to do next, is compare the app cards to my game cards, just to verify they are the same.

Also, interested in how to send a game file from an iOS device. Never saw that before ... so how is that done.

Why is "the very next card play" relevant? The USSR can remove the 2 influence between your play of HILTSW and the USSR action round.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with iOS devices, I didn't realise sending files was an issue. How about screenshots? The game should still be saved, and the tabs should show what happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a screenshot of the bottom of the screen, with the relevant turn(s) expanded, would be very helpful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "next card play" is very relevant, because there was no card play to even remove any influence from Cuba to cancel CMC, prior to the coup attempt. I wrote that above in the original post. It went straight to a coup attempt. If you understand the card CMC, then that is what makes this so obvious.

There is a disconnect between cards of hard copy and iOS game.

Doc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
Yes, a screenshot of the bottom of the screen, with the relevant turn(s) expanded, would be very helpful!

Well, it would be, however, I would need to do this at the time of occurrence. Can't go back in the game, at least I don't know a way. It would need to be reproduced by chance again. The game was finished long ago, and iOS doesn't save past games from what I can see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Brian wrote:
The "next card play" is very relevant, because there was no card play to even remove any influence from Cuba to cancel CMC, prior to the coup attempt. I wrote that above in the original post. It went straight to a coup attempt. If you understand the card CMC, then that is what makes this so obvious.

Doc

Ah, see, I think this is where the balance of evidence begins to indicate that you have misunderstood the rules and the bug you describe doesn't exist. No card play is required to remove influence from Cuba to cancel CMC. The USSR simply removes 2 influence from Cuba, which cancels CMC, and plays a card to coup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Brian wrote:
snoozefest wrote:

Well, it would be, however, I would need to do this at the time of occurrence. Can't go back in the game, at least I don't know a way. It would need to be reproduced by chance again. The game was finished long ago, and iOS doesn't save past games from what I can see.

I don't know for how long, but you can indeed see old games in the app. And when you've opened up a game, you can see all the cards played by expanding the appropriate section in the bottom of the screen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Dr Brian wrote:

Doc

Ah, see, I think this is where the balance of evidence begins to indicate that you have misunderstood the rules and the bug you describe doesn't exist. No card play is required to remove influence from Cuba to cancel CMC. The USSR simply removes 2 influence from Cuba, which cancels CMC, and plays a card to coup.

Possible, but my first reaction was WTF, because Cuba still has 3 IP present. I know how to play the game. At this point so many days from the game, I don’t think USSR has 5 IP there. There would be no need for any additional IP in Cuba.

At this point I can only hope to reproduce it somehow by playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
Dr Brian wrote:
snoozefest wrote:

I don't know for how long, but you can indeed see old games in the app. And when you've opened up a game, you can see all the cards played by expanding the appropriate section in the bottom of the screen.

Only the game you are playing. That’s not from old games, just the current game. Are you playing on an iOS. So that’s not old games you’ve played. That’s past turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Brian wrote:
snoozefest wrote:
Dr Brian wrote:
snoozefest wrote:

Only the game you are playing. That’s not from old games, just the current game. Are you playing on an iOS. So that’s not old games you’ve played. That’s past turns.

Not quite true: here’s a game that ended months ago, with one of the ARs expanded:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I see, that is your current game. You're on Turn 3, and you've expanded Turn 2. I can do that too in my existing game.

However, if it is not a saved game, you can't go back to it. The only thing I can think of is that yours is an online game, where in my instance it was offline.

That means, once it is finished, it is no longer in the saved games for offline play. Unless there is a "save all completed games folder" that I am missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Brian wrote:
From what I see, that is your current game. You're on Turn 3, and you've expanded Turn 2. I can do that too in my existing game.

However, if it is not a saved game, you can't go back to it. The only thing I can think of is that yours is an online game, where in my instance it was offline.

That means, once it is finished, it is no longer in the saved games for offline play. Unless there is a "save all completed games folder" that I am missing.

That was indeed an online game, but not current -- the other player forfeited quite some time ago. My other completed games, however, no longer appear in my app. I don't know how long it takes before they disappear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After they are completed, they are deleted. Only games still in progress appear.

That is way the scroll list states "Active Games."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
Am I the only one who can't help singing the thread title in an imitation of Mike Patton's voice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Crosby
Belgium
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
I had a similar issue on app, if anyone can help most grateful.
I headlined CMC- USSR had no influence in Cuba, so I assumed that for this turn it could not do any coups and I'd pick up automatic VPs from USSR failure to conduct mil ops. Two AR later USSR coups in an African non battleground state and escapes this.
Confused.
Any advice is welcome..
TIA
Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nickcrosby wrote:
I had a similar issue on app, if anyone can help most grateful.
I headlined CMC- USSR had no influence in Cuba, so I assumed that for this turn it could not do any coups and I'd pick up automatic VPs from USSR failure to conduct mil ops. Two AR later USSR coups in an African non battleground state and escapes this.
Confused.
Any advice is welcome..
TIA
Nick

Yep ... that was the same issue I had Nick. Didn't seem to bother people, however, if it was the board game, then you would have gotten points. I'd report it to app designers.

Doc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.