Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Croxton
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've solitaired this game twice this weekend, and both times the Allies won pretty easily. Since everyone seems convinced that the Germans are in a far superior position, I wanted to get some feedback on what I'm doing wrong.

I use an historical Allied setup. Germans can play cat and mouse with the XXX corps near Eindhoven for a couple of turns, but once the reinforcements come on you have to get off the board pretty quickly or you will be trapped and eliminated.

I have also done an historical German strategy of attacking Arnhem with the SS. I can easily see how it could be taken with some good rolls, but in my case the 1st division managed to hold on until the Poles arrived, and that gave them enough that the SS couldn't take it soon enough.

There is a little drama at Nijmegen, where the Germans have some strength. I almost got the 5-4 mech unit into Nijmegen but the Americans took it the turn before it could move in. I can definitely see how that would have been a game-changer.

Otherwise, the path up the road is too difficult for the Germans to block. There are too many Allied units, and the mech units are especially important because they can move next to an infantry stack in the 3rd impulse and then attack it in the first impulse of the next turn, so as the German you can't just dodge the Allies consistently. The one 3-3 unit that starts against the XXXth corps is the only dangerous one for the Allies, and it's too small to do much by itself.

I'm thinking the winning German strategy must involve the SS giving up on Arnhem and moving west of the Rhine and either try to get across the Waal from Nijmegen before the Allies take it, or else go help defend Nijmegen and then move across the Waal. I can see how this would make it very difficult for the Allies, as they don't have many turns and couldn't get much of an attack across the river.

I remember in Hell's Highway (one of my favourite games, which seems to have inspired this one in several ways) that off-map movement in that direction was severely limited because of terrain considerations. I wonder if it would be possible to craft a simple house rule with this game to create a similar effect and force a more historical German approach. That might, admittedly, swing the balance too much in favour of the Allies, but most people think it's hardly worth playing now because the Germans have too big an advantage.

Derek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.