Subject: Already own Escape. Should I buy Magic Maze too? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Jacobs

McKinney
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
I already own Escape: The Curse of the Temple and like it a lot. This game looks really fun. But do I need Magic Maze if I already own Escape? Is there enough difference to warrant owning both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
They do feel somewhat similar, although the mechanics in MM are different. Our group tired of Escape moderately quickly (and the expansions didn't really breathe any new life into it for us), but Magic Maze is new enough that I'm not sure if it will have a lasting shelf life or not. We're certainly enjoying it for now though.

If your group is still enjoying Escape I'd probably recommend waiting to try MM before buying. If they're starting to tire of Escape but a "frantic co-op" is desirable I'd give it a look sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Doherty
msg tools
mbmb
I feel they are quite different.

Compared to Magic Maze, Escape practically feels like a solo game. If your group likes working together, Magic Maze requires more teamwork.

It also has a lot more quietly and impatiently staring at one another, whereas Escape is more laughing and shouting.

They are both real-time, tile revealing, find the exit, but they are very different mechanically. I think having both is perfectly reasonable- Escape really just makes the transition to playing Magic Maze more accessible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both, I even have Escape: Zombie City and plan on keeping all 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Delhez
Belgium
Leuze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dreaminsong wrote:
I feel they are quite different.

Compared to Magic Maze, Escape practically feels like a solo game. If your group likes working together, Magic Maze requires more teamwork.

It also has a lot more quietly and impatiently staring at one another, whereas Escape is more laughing and shouting.

They are both real-time, tile revealing, find the exit, but they are very different mechanically. I think having both is perfectly reasonable- Escape really just makes the transition to playing Magic Maze more accessible.

I cannot give a better answer ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
ijacobs wrote:
I already own Escape: The Curse of the Temple and like it a lot. This game looks really fun. But do I need Magic Maze if I already own Escape? Is there enough difference to warrant owning both?

I played both, and it's not similar at all. The only similarity is that everyone tries to move as quickly as possible in both games. But it stops there.

Escape is a risk taking "screw everyone but me" game.

While Magic maze is a co-op "Why aren't you doing what I want you to do?" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phaseshifter wrote:
ijacobs wrote:

I played both, and it's not similar at all. The only similarity is that everyone tries to move as quickly as possible in both games. But it stops there.

Escape is a risk taking "screw everyone but me" game.

While Magic maze is a co-op "Why aren't you doing what I want you to do?" game.

Escape: The Curse of the Temple is also a co-op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Wolgast
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they are definitely different enough to own both. Escape is more stressful, it requires constant upkeep of always rolling dice and you can and will scream at each other during the game. Magic Maze is more focused, you sometimes have moments where you shouldn't do anything, where you can look around the board and plan a bit.

Of the 2, I definitely prefer MM and haven't played escape since I got it. I still hold onto it though, if I feel the need to be stressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.