Popular Tags: [View All]
Jasen Robillard
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After chatting for a bit about Gord's background and other unrelated matters, Heather and I only had time for a quick game as we wanted to be back home by 9:30. Gord decided to take out Maven, a quick word game he's quite fond of.

Players are given a 5x5 grid on a pad of paper. The purpose of the game is to create 3-5 letter words within the grid. Players in turn, name a letter that is to placed within all players' grids. Each player has the freedom to secretly place the letter wherever they wish as long as it is a free space. Scoring is as follows:
- each 3 letter words = 3 pts.
- each 4 letter words = 4 pts.
- each 5 letter words = 10 pts.

Ultimately you want as many 5 letter words as possible to maximize your score but this is quite difficult as you only have control of 1/3 of the letters being called.

I started off this 3-player game of Maven(Heather, Gord and myself) by calling the letter 'Z' - a nasty move on my part and one I hadn't really thought through. The game proceeded rather quickly and we were done within 10 minutes or so. We revealed our grids. I was told that 'tonk' (as in honky-tonk) and 'bling' weren't words. HA! ...well, ok...they were probably right...11 pts. down the tube. Heather and Gord played their boards rather well. Final scores were:

Gord - 40
Heather -38
Jasen - 28 - or 39 with bling and tonk ;o)

Heather enjoyed the game and was a bit frustrated with one of her 'O' placements as she thinks she could have won the game with a score of 42. Despite the language police coming down hard on me, I also enjoyed the game (a solid 7). Mind you, I wouldn't want to play against any Scrabble officianados!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hoylman
United States
Chevy Chase
Maryland
flag msg tools
Re:Session Report
Baldboy_1 (#29836),
"Bling" will be in dictionaries soon, if it isn't already.
Doug Hoylman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.