Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
If you stall you need to choose any unspent unit and do a 1-check with it, so if the card is 1 the unit is spent, but if it is 2 or higher remain unspent. No chance of turn end.

If you choose to pass you dont need to do any check, but if the AI choose to pass with its next action, then turn is over and every spent unit become unspent again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tofufury wrote:
But this aint solo Im talking about. Why should we stall if pass is free and there isnt any chance the opponent would pass?

If you know that your opponent won't pass (or if you don't know, but you don't mind if they do pass), then indeed there seems to be no reason to stall. But why is that a problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
If your know that your opponent is not going to pass (because you have a lot more spent units than he/she, for example) then you can pass without pressure while he/she will be forced to stall instead (because in that situation you want to end the turn ASAP). I see that as a balancing act. Your opponent have initiative with more units unspent, but to keep it must keep doing things, while you can stall and wait for the right moment with the few unspent units you still have
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are referencing the following rule:

2.2 Taking Turns

6. Pass Action: The player takes none of the above actions and
spends no AP or CAP. If the passing player has an activated
unit, he must flip the unit to its spent side and lose any of its
unused APs. A player who has passed may take additional
actions during future turns. However, if both players pass
consecutively, the round is immediately over and no further
actions may be taken until the next round.

The SOLO rule is as follows:

2.1 Player Turn Summary

5. Pass Action: Take none of the above actions and spend no AP
or CAP. You may take additional actions during future turns. But
if you and the AI pass consecutively, the round is over.

Because the Spent Unit Check is different mechanics from the AP Count, I would say it best to use the SOLO version of the rules where if you pass your turn, it just gives the other player a chance to end the round. Because there is no "active unit" you don't have to make a unit spent.

When using AP count rules, if you didn't have an active unit, you wouldn't choose a unit on the board to mark as spent so I don't see a reason to do so if you are using SOLO deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doug is right. Use just the solo rules on this.

Btw AG confirmed that the AP check "spend" mechanic will be included in the following CoH games as STANDARD.

MUCH better than the fixed AP activiation of units btw.

I always hear some critical comments about that old AP expenditure issue (people even give lower ratings for the base game because of this AP count).

And I am just glad they will get rid of it officially in the upcoming Storms of Steel and I suppose it will be the official way of playing by then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben_Bos wrote:

And I am just glad they will get rid of it officially in the upcoming Storms of Steel and I suppose it will be the official way of playing by then.

Only downside is that it appears to be using a die roll mechanic instead of the better card/chit mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Ben_Bos wrote:

Only downside is that it appears to be using a die roll mechanic instead of the better card/chit mechanic.

Yeah, I am not real thrilled with the die mechanic. I would much rather they make the chits "official" and print them with Storms of Steel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sayburr wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
Ben_Bos wrote:

Yeah, I am not real thrilled with the die mechanic. I would much rather they make the chits "official" and print them with Storms of Steel.

Yep Kevin, please write to Uwe they should include your "chits" with the next COH game.

But anything is better than that old fixed AP point system really. The random hidden AP variant was nice too, but it still was not as exciting and "open" as this solo spend mechanic.

I am also very curious about that new CAP mechanic too. I thought the present day CAP use was great, but they make it perhaps even more important ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.