Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks!
On my 7th expedition to the 7th Continent I decided to go against all 7 curses at once. what's worse, I'm going completely solo, with a custom character I'll name after me, ie Raz.
Here, Raz is an unfortunate soul that, because of shady reasons linked to his gaming habits, is today plagued with all 7 current available curses. Now, awakening on a small island not far from the fabled Continent, Raz is burdened with having to slay monstrous beasts, satisfying a voracious goddess, giving his lifeforce to the guardian of the Continent, not to mention that heavy black box that is resting in his mysterious satchel.
There is also this pocketwatch he apparently stole from someone during his last gaming group gathering. What a fiend!
Fortunately, Raz has a few tools at his disposal. Namely:
- Nerves of Steel
- Scholar
- Gourmet
- Water Knows The Way
- Mad Scientist
Seems fitting.
During his epic adventure, Raz will maybe face the elements and fear the devourers. Who knows!
For this journey, I've decided to include card 777 and my very own card 888 to my satchel.
My very own card 888, which I've already used on my previous expedition, reads:
"If you would banish a Green card you've taken a hunt or fish action on as a result of that action, discard it instead."
I really don't like hunting in this game and I don't want to die because of backtracking or because of a bad result. So with the rules established, let's proceed to the first, 1 hour session.

Scribbley-do, I'm writing for you!

Raz awoke on a small island, to the smell of sulfur. Opening his eyes, he could see fumes of yellowish smoke all around him, and the sound of seagulls mocking him. Gathering his spirits, he noticed a notebook in a weird leather satchel on his hip, complete with a strange pocketwatch and a very bizarre black chest that didn't seem to weight at much as it should. Peculiar.
After thinking for a while, Raz decided that wondering for hours wouldn't do anything. Nor would starving. So on he went.
Looking around, Raz decided to make it west. While walking, he wondered about potential inhabitants. And their Habits. And Customs. Well. That was something to look forward to. Good, positive thinking!
Too bad that the next thing he saw was a seagull's corpse laying close to jetsteams. Being the smart man he was, Raz approached the corpse... And got burned! Well, that did hurt a bit. But he was really curious, so he kept looking, and this time he was able to avoid the hot steamjets. But there was nothing to see there in the end. Just a old, non-edible bird corpse. Well, no time to lose.
Cautious as ever, Raz then decided to try and eat some red seaweed. But it wasn't edible either. Yet again, it might do for a rope, maybe he could even hold materials together to craft some sweet items, with this plant?
While taking this into consideration, Raz took a walk south but there, the steamjets wouldn't let go! Through careful planning though, Raz noticed that some went off less often than others, and managed to make it through unscathed. Quite the experienced man, should I say.
All self-confident now, Raz was walking through a small bamboo forest when he noticed a crab going by. Following it, he found that the crab was nesting on...A gearwheel? Now that was unexpected. Looking deeper into the crab's lair, Raz found he could easily hide himself there. No time to lose though. This was not the right time.
Instead he wanted to explore the island a little more, so he looked south-east. But on the way, he thought he felt a spider walking on him. Now that wouldn't do. Spiders at home aren't dangerous but what kind of spider could survive all these steamjets? Upon closer inspection, focusing his brains, there appeared to have been no spider. Right? Right. Everything's alright.
Reminiscing his scholarship, and with the knowledge he was starting to gather on the small island, Raz then gained some power. Which would happen several times while roaming around. After all, Knowledge is Power, and being a Scholar is quite strong, isn't it?
Was being a scholar what gave Raz the idea of a bow he could make to feel more secure, and maybe hunt some game around? No one can tell with such a peculiar mind. But reflecting on a bow is not enough. Especially as it distracts your mind. While he was looking for resources, Raz did indeed almost stumble upon some weaverfish! The poison kind too! Luckily he came to just at the right moment and managed not to step on them! Phew, that was close! But all these efforts made him a little tired, and his lifeforce was draining rather fast.
Raz was north of the island now. And there was a strange totem there. Which looked a lot like the one depicted in his notebook. And a blotted corpse too. That didn't make him feel very confident. He'd rather have a bow built before he went there. And fill his stomach. You never know. So he went back south, and crafted the bow with the help of that weed. He made some rope with it too. Better safe than sorry.
Remembering the crab's lair, Raz laid there for a while to see if some game would happen to pass through there. And it did! Who would have thought you could hunt Stone-eating crabs with a bow? Well, you can!
No time to eat though. The totem was calling on him. And he headed back north to answer the call. Which made him think a potent weapon he used back in the day. Stones latched to a rope, something that could attach your legs together and prevent you from escaping, what was it called again? Ah right, Bolas! Bolas could help! Let's craft some Bolas!
With Bolas and Bow in hand, rope on his back, Raz took a look at the blotted corpse he had noticed earlier. Good thing his stomach was empty, that corpse was really damaged.
But somehow, the totem spoke. Telling him about fierce monsters and hunting down fabulous game. Raz couldn't understand. It did sound perilous. And just at that moment, a hideous octopus monster tried to grab him with an oustretched tentacle, opening and closing a monstrous beak. The totem told him Raz could never leave the Continent alive if he didn't satisfy the totem's bloodlust. But Raz was already close to dying. So he used his weapons. And with the help of his Lucky Star, slew the beast just as it was about to eat him.
And then the totem seemed satisfied. Knowledge was gained, Raz felt stronger. Determined.
After a short rest, he took a second look at the corpse. The waves were furiously crashing around the corpse and he had to keep his balance before he could examine it. He found a second gearwheel in the corpse's jacket. And it became very clear suddenly that something written on the corpse's jacket was alluded to in his notebook as well. "FT16". He was on the right way. He was doing something right. He could tell.
With his two pieces of metal in his satchel, Raz decided it was time to explore the westmost side of the island. Which made him think of his injury. He thought it might be a good idea to go back to the bamboo forest first, craft a splint and try and heal. Which he did. Brave man that he was.
Not to lose his focus though. It was time to leave. There was only so much you could do on a small, deserted, feral island that obviously wanted you dead or out. Or both.

Heading for the rocks!

He made through some jagged rocks that splitted waves in two, luckily without splitting his leg itself though that was close, and found a submarine hanging over the water, with a very small graveyard that seemed to be offering rest to former crewmembers. Paying his respect, Raz thought he saw a ghost there for a minute, but his Scholar mind dismissed the idea fairly easily. Paying respects to the dead calmed his mind and made him feel stronger though, and with 10 curse cards in his discard pile, he was able to put 20 cards back in his deck (now that was a very thematic part.)
Being Forewarned that leaving the island would be fairly difficult if he didn't delicately put the submarine in the water, he did his best to be careful and managed to put the gearwheels back into place and make it out of the island to the sandy shores of the 7th Continent, with a very full deck, 4 pieces of meat and approximately 10 experience cards in tow. That was a good first day, a lot of was learned by this fresh castaway, and he would truly benefit from his experiences.

Sailing away, time to save!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Galeotti
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
http://www.gruppoludico.it/
badge
I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.
mb
Hey Raz, nice session report!

I am too in the middle of a 7-curses exploration, but with a different build:
- Scholar
- Life in the Wild
- Nomadism
- Fighting Fury
- Bone Crowbar
and also a different tweak to help against the difficulty of tackling all curses at once. Namely, I just put into the Action Deck the 7 nominal Curse cards and didn't put any of the "Death is Lurking" cards.

Since you are playing with your custom card 888, you should be aware that
Spoiler (click to reveal)
there are some unique events that happen only when hunting/fishing on gold cards, in particular
- a couple of monsters for The Bloody Hunt
- the elusive key to the chest in the Underground Temple

Good luck with your endeavour!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
barry Doublet
France
epernay
Other
flag msg tools
Mad Crazy Fool !!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't read this, but I will wish you the best =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphaël Langella
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vetinari7878 wrote:
there are some unique events that happen only when hunting/fishing on gold cards, in particular

You can hunt in the temple???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vetinari7878 wrote:
Since you are playing with your custom card 888, you should be aware that

I'm aware of that but thanks for telling me

Best of luck to you too!

And yes I'm totally using a Sentinels of the Multiverse: Playmat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Galeotti
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
http://www.gruppoludico.it/
badge
I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.
mb
galehar wrote:
vetinari7878 wrote:

You can hunt in the temple???

No, I meant you can find the key if you fish on a gold card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McKnight
United States
Cane Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Off the wall question here:

What sleeves are you using on your cards? I'm backing the current Kickstarter and haven't decided on sleeving everything yet (I do plan on doing the action cards, at the very least).

Are they Mayday or sleeves from the first Kickstarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayday, packs of 100, so the equivalent of penny sleeves.
There are so many cards that until you have 2 boxes, premium sleeves will take too much space in the box!
They're sufficient for adventure cards. For action cards, the card tend to slip away from the sleeve and that can lead to damage, especially seeing as they're square and sometimes rotate during shuffling, leading to one card inserting it's corner into the a sleeve and denting the other card. Sometimes. Not often, but sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McKnight
United States
Cane Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks! They actually look pretty good without a lot of room on the sides.

By the way, you have a talent for converting what the cards show into a great narrative. I can’t wait to read about what happens with that severed head!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShawnMcK wrote:
Thanks! They actually look pretty good without a lot of room on the sides.

By the way, you have a talent for converting what the cards show into a great narrative. I can’t wait to read about what happens with that severed head!

Yeah that fit real good, I'm happy with them sleeves, and they're quite resilient too, I shuffle hard and none has ripped!

Oh, and thank you very much My latest report should have been approved by now ^^ Glad you're enjoying the read!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.