Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ramon Raya
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I currently have a problem. Minis or Standees? On one hand, minis are cool but expensive. On the other, Chitboard Standees are cost effective but flat (figuratively and literally).

Dungeon Brawl is nearly ready for Kickstarter and I'm unsure on how to proceed. Do I make minis as an Add-on? Do I include minis but raise the base price? Or do I just not bother with minis at all? Do I include the standee option with the minis? The minis are being worked on as of me writing this. I have 5 characters to make and each will take 3-4 weeks to make. I've gotten the impression that minis really help sell a game but I just wanted some 3rd party thoughts. In early prototypes, I used Reaper figures and people really loved them. With the standees, people still love it just due to the sheer size of the standees. It's a kind of King Of Tokyo effect.

On a side note, I put Dungeon Brawl on The Game Crafter, but it's using poker cards in place of the chitboard standees in order to reduce the overall cost. I personally didn't want the poker cards just because it gives me the impression of cheapness. It was either that or have the game cost 8-9 dollars more.

Below are the images for the current Standee which will stand 4" high x 2" wide. The 3D version, in the early stages of creation, will be cast in gray should I go through with the miniature path. The minis, I'm hoping will stand 2" tall (50mm).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sean
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
badge
You wanted the best, You got the best, The hottest band in the World..KISS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Minis as a stretch goal. I assume would help with costing.
Miniature figures provide a tactile item and improve the overall impression and image of a game in my opinion.
If the stretch isn't reached the figures could be sold later as an expansion.

I hope that's food for thought.
Personally I would pay the extra for a game with quality figures rather than standees.

I had considered the full KS option on Vikings due to the figures but my gaming buddy had already committed, but the figures really sold it to me.
I'll wager I'm not the only one.

Good luck with your venture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
If its got minis, I won't be buying. Unecessary cost and makes the game box too large, and they bring nothing to the game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Campbell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Growing old is mandatory but growing UP is optional!
badge
Tabletop Game News, Reviews, Sales, Design and Publishing. Visit us at www.iwillnevergrowup.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
And there you have it!

Half the people will want minis. The other half will avoid them. (yes, that's over simplified, but you get the jist)

Pros of Minis : If done WELL they look great and will attract an extra audience, however that extra audience are frequently looking at JUST the minis (often for other games and to paint), so if it's not a minis heavy game, they do little for you.

Cons of Minis : EXPENSIVE - If you're not making (at least) 2000 units you're throwing a lot of money out the window .. and even at that quantity they are expensive (3d modelling and molds are the 2 big expenses). Added space required. Need (more often than not) to be painted.

Pros of Standees : You get the gorgeous artwork already created displayed on them (no painting required) and they are inexpensive (yet nice if done well).

Cons of Standees : They aren't minis so those minis advocates tend to dislike them.

Personally I like (in order) - Meeples > Custom Meeples > Standees > Minis (and minis only rarely any more .. I have too many as it is).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Campbell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Growing old is mandatory but growing UP is optional!
badge
Tabletop Game News, Reviews, Sales, Design and Publishing. Visit us at www.iwillnevergrowup.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil_ColSanders wrote:

Below are the images for the current Standee which will stand 4" high x 2" wide.

I know you said people loved the standees "just due to the sheer size" .. but my god that's HUGE. Standees that big would be a turn off for me in most games (King of Tokyo/New York standees notwithstanding due to the theme and nature of the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
silverfox63 wrote:
Minis as a stretch goal.

With Darkest Night, when we proposed a stretch goal that would replace standees with minis, some backers complained that they wanted the standees and were upset that a stretch goal removed them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rorschach9 wrote:
Half the people will want minis. The other half will avoid them. (yes, that's over simplified, but you get the jist)

Oversimplified and obviously inaccurate, comparing the general success of Kickstarters with and without miniatures (exceptions exist, of course). But at this point, there is some saturation and it's not enough just to have miniatures. They have to be good and varied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil_ColSanders wrote:
The 3D version, in the early stages of creation, will be cast in gray should I go through with the miniature path.

Just a personal remark... This current fashion of all-gray miniatures irks me. Why not distinctive player colors? Not everyone paints their miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Raya
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
silverfox63 wrote:
Minis as a stretch goal. I assume would help with costing.
Miniature figures provide a tactile item and improve the overall impression and image of a game in my opinion.
If the stretch isn't reached the figures could be sold later as an expansion.

Yes and no. Stretch goals give incentive for more people to buy. (IMO I believe a game will not sell more or less no matter what stretch goals there are. Only hype can do that.) Stretch goals also don't alter the price of the game. If the SG is not met, people are now overpaying for a game. If I price it lower and the goal is met, I'm eating all the cost of minis being added.

Add-on is looking better and better as it appeases both pro-mini and anti-mini groups.
mi_de wrote:
If its got minis, I won't be buying. Unecessary cost and makes the game box too large, and they bring nothing to the game for me.

I don't agree with "unnecessary cost". Art on cards or the board could also be argued "unnecessary". Minis add theme and are engaging, much like art on cards. The only difference is a minis job has a cheaper alternative that performs the same function. If they don't engage you, that's all good. To each their own. Lastly, the box size will not change side there are only 5 minis. There is adequate room by design.
rorschach9 wrote:
I know you said people loved the standees "just due to the sheer size" .. but my god that's HUGE. Standees that big would be a turn off for me in most games (King of Tokyo/New York standees notwithstanding due to the theme and nature of the game).

It's not THAT bad. The size really allows players to see the detail in the artwork and also makes it easier to grab into different squares. (Those are 2 main comments from players regarding the standees)

Thanks guys! This is adding real insight to gamers-at-large.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Just a personal remark... This current fashion of all-gray miniatures irks me. Why not distinctive player colors? Not everyone paints their miniatures.

It seems that uniformly-colored (e.g. gray) miniatures are often used when sculpts (and often player powers) are unique, sometimes in conjunction with distinctively colored player bases. I don't paint my miniatures, but I greatly appreciate this because it doesn't force me to play with a particular color to use a certain character/faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil_ColSanders wrote:
Stretch goals also don't alter the price of the game. If the SG is not met, people are now overpaying for a game. If I price it lower and the goal is met, I'm eating all the cost of minis being added.

Theoretically, the financial justification for stretch goals is that you (the project creator) start to get volume discounts as your print run grows larger, and so you can use the savings to offer a better product for the same price.

So whether the stretch goal is met or not, people are paying the price necessary in order for you to make the thing. They get more for their money if the stretch goal is met, but (if you did your homework) that's not because you are taking a smaller cut.

Obviously, there are a lot of projects that don't do their homework and/or change their answers for purely marketing-based reasons, so this doesn't necessarily hold true in practice. But in principle, the reason for stretch goals is that that's what the feature actually costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Johnson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going to Kickstarter, you pretty much need plastic minis to woo the masses. Its sad, but its just the way things are.
I'd also advise against even mentioning the standees as an option or stretch goal, because that will just confuse and annoy people. People who like plastic will complain that its a useless stretch goal, and people that like standees will suddenly start asking for a cheaper option that leaves out the plastic - which will be a headache for you.

So yea, just do plastic minis and keep quiet about any other option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Macdonald
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I would love to see gamers in general embrace standees. Most people don't the Minis and that is just sad. Is it not better to have very lavish standees with excellent illustrations.

Check out this guy who is doing some amazing work - https://www.patreon.com/PrintableHeroes or https://twitter.com/PrintableHeroes

I tend to paint all of my stuff but if I could order these kind of figure for a game I would rather do that.

If you do do minis at least use coloured plastics. Cmon has finally learned that lesson with Rising Sun so it will likely trend next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Macdonald
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
RolandDraws wrote:
I would love to see gamers in general embrace standees. Most people don't the Minis and that is just sad. Is it not better to have very lavish standees with excellent illustrations.

Check out this guy who is doing some amazing work - https://www.patreon.com/PrintableHeroes or https://twitter.com/PrintableHeroes

I tend to paint all of my stuff but if I could order these kind of figure for a game I would rather do that.

If you do do minis at least use coloured plastics. Cmon has finally learned that lesson with Rising Sun so it will likely trend next year.

Here is a sample from the link above. These are pretty impressive right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest standees.
First of all, you only have 5 models.
Second, they are HUGE. 50mm is out of whack with every 'standard' scale available today.

So, you aren't going to attract the mini painters, or people wanting to use them in other games; the scale doesn't match, and they are standard fantasy tropes it seems.

Unless the minis are extremely well-sculpted, you aren't going to rope anyone in due to the weird scale. At least as far as mini painters go.

An add-on seems the best solution to be honest.
But, I wouldn't expect to sell many, and you might have to eat a lot of the cost there. I would put it as an add-on stretch goal, to make sure that you can afford to pay the costs associated with making minis.

The scale and number (5 models only) won't be attracting to mini painters, or collectors as they can be used for this game, and this game only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toy_brain wrote:
If you are going to Kickstarter, you pretty much need plastic minis to woo the masses. Its sad, but its just the way things are.
I'd also advise against even mentioning the standees as an option or stretch goal, because that will just confuse and annoy people. People who like plastic will complain that its a useless stretch goal, and people that like standees will suddenly start asking for a cheaper option that leaves out the plastic - which will be a headache for you.

Wrong. Mini painters and collectors are definitely NOT looking for oddly-scaled miniatures that don't match up with any other line in scale, nor are they anything unique. They are all standard fantasy tropes.

You are not going to woo any miniature crowd with that.
Go with standees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My input...

The example above is nice because they are not just rectangles, but cut to shape. They are very attractive. I mean the standees a few posts up.

I am one of the ones that likes (not loves) minis, but am not interested in a game if the price is too high. Minis tend to make the price higher. Of course, the game with standees must be priced appropriately also. Since I never paint minis, to me, the perfect example is to have a reasonable price with standees, then an add on for minis. I am of the mindset that the lower barrier to entry due to price will draw more backers. Of course, the funding model would need to be flexible enough to accept that a portion of the rewards will not have minis, thus making the volume of minis lower (that may affect the ability to pay for the minis).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm a standee proponent but it really depends on the game and functionality. They don't serve the same function. But for a game called Dungeon Brawl, I'd assume it has minis.

Minis are fine when they represent pawns that don't really have any unique attributes, like zombies or all 1-strength units, and when I don't need to place a ton in a small area. Minis on the board usually look better than a bunch of standees all with the same art (or chits or cubes or whatever), and are generally easier to manipulate and quickly visually tally.

And minis are good when every unit is unique and has its own card representing its unique stats. That's probably where they shine.

Standees are best when you have units that have a small number of attributes that vary and you can include that information on the standee. Basically, they're the same as a chit but allow you to include some nicer art, are a bit easier to manipulate (although they can fall down domino-style), and visually they pop out better than chits.

You also need to do standees/blocks when you need the two faces to show different information to the 2 players.

And while this is rarely used, minis are best when the physical manipulation of the mini conveys information, like a boat tilting away from the direction of the wind, or removing armor and body parts as a unit gets wounded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Definitely need to pick one or the other. I have witnessed several KS campaigns offering both, and the low number of pledges associated with the standees only version put the printing cost of those "cheaper" options way higher than the "expensive" miniature pledges that were in the majority. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Johnson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghool wrote:
toy_brain wrote:

Wrong. Mini painters and collectors are definitely NOT looking for oddly-scaled miniatures that don't match up with any other line in scale, nor are they anything unique. They are all standard fantasy tropes.

Go with standees.

I respectfully disagree, given the popularity of Rising Sun, Blood Rage, Cthulhu Wars, Arcadia Quest, and a bunch of other board game kickstarter projects that all had oversized miniatures as a big selling point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
rorschach9 wrote:
Personally I like (in order) - Meeples > Custom Meeples > Standees > Minis (and minis only rarely any more .. I have too many as it is).

For me it is:

Miniatures > Custom Meeples > Meeples >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Standees (and even then it would have to be something very special for me to even consider buying such a game).

RolandDraws wrote:

I respectfuly disagree.

Though I can see how standees can be cheap and have wonderful art (the pictures you posted provide a great example) I would rather have a character card with good art that corresponds with a colored meeple (even if it is a generic one) than a standee.

I simply don't like the tactile feeling of the standee and are more than willing to pay for more elaborate pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toy_brain wrote:
Ghool wrote:
toy_brain wrote:

Go with standees.

I respectfully disagree, given the popularity of Rising Sun, Blood Rage, Cthulhu Wars, Arcadia Quest, and a bunch of other board game kickstarter projects that all had oversized miniatures as a big selling point.

But also take a look at how many miniatures are in each pledge. Take a look at the quality of sculpting, and none of those games contain any standard fantasy tropes, which the market is flooded with.

All I'm trying to say is that if you only have 5, oddly-scaled fantasy tropes, it's going to be a hard sell to any miniature collector. And thus, you lose a big chunk of the audiences that are buying all of your mentioned games.

I'm just saying this as a collector and painter myself. I wouldn't have any interest in the models if there was only 5, and only fantasy tropes. I assume there's a large portion of the miniature buying market that feels the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hindman
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though I've heard my opinion, at least in part, voiced in some of these other replies, I'm still gonna weigh in.

I gotta go with standees for the most part. And that harkens all the way back to my D+D/Ral Partha days. I was never really good at putting those minis together, and much worse at painting them, so when I shelled out to get one painted nicely, it sat on the shelf with my lucky dice and other choice gaming stuff that I didn't want people putting their grubby fingers on. This behavior carried over to when I got into Battletech. In fact, much to the dismay of "serious" BT players, I still use the standees that came with my 1986 box set when I play.

I like standees for their resistance to damage when being swept off a table or whipped against a wall. However, they are quite susceptible to the errant placement of a fan, or an unexpected breeze.

Minis are nice when they come like the ones for HeroScape or X-Wing (for us non-painters), but are a pain in the ass to store and keep damage free when you go past a certain collection size.

Just my $.02

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just looked at the game. I would recommend miniatures, ideally pre-painted. I'm not a KS expert, but with only 5 pawns needed, the game is not the type likely to garner big KS sales based on high-quality miniatures. But I think pre-painted miniatures a la Heroscape would be cool and in the aesthetic of the game, and attract a different type of crowd than those seeking out nice, unique sculpts to paint.

It's hard to tell from the pics what the spatial dynamics are. One pic has huge standees with no grid at all, while the other pic has minis on 6 boards with grid overlays but their bases are too big for the grid squares. If the spatial dynamics are very minimal, then another option would be to have the characters represented by cards on a grid, Summoner War-style, which would cut down the cost and make it easier to produce expansions (just cards - no additional minis or standees needed).

Lastly, there doesn't seem any reason game-wise to use the standard fantasy tropes. That's one of the attractions of Dungeon Run, which has a similar end game to this one. Seems like you could use more unusual classes and races borrowed from D&D, rather than create your own like Plaid Hat did:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alternative_Dungeons_%...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
GSReis wrote:

It seems that uniformly-colored (e.g. gray) miniatures are often used when sculpts (and often player powers) are unique, sometimes in conjunction with distinctively colored player bases. I don't paint my miniatures, but I greatly appreciate this because it doesn't force me to play with a particular color to use a certain character/faction.

I like games where if the minis are gray, there's a colored base tray on the bottom. That way you can use either the mini's shape or the color of the base to represent you.

I also like games where the minis are distinctive colors.

Obviously I'm a minis fan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.