Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kimberly
United States
Dallas/Fort Worth area
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be a newb question, but I am still new to BGG and still learning a lot of things!

Here's my question...

I am not attending BGG CON, but live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. If I bid to purchase games at the Virtual Flea Market would I be able to get access to just that room to pick-up my purchases or would I have to have a BGG CON ticket to do so?

Thank you for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinkley
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would need a ticket to BGG CON to attend the Virtual Flea Market exchange.

Depending on the user, (if they are local or not, their desire to sell their game, etc...) they might be willing to make arrangements to meet you outside of the CON.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kymmie Meeple
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Seasons Greetings!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you know some going, you could ask them to pick up for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Honorable Salmon P. Chase
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides the hotel lobby & bar, you need a badge to access any area or event of BGG.con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ostrander
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent you a PM, can help mule if you really want to get a game or few on the VFM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimberly
United States
Dallas/Fort Worth area
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zatchstar wrote:
I sent you a PM, can help mule if you really want to get a game or few on the VFM.

Chad,

You are very thoughtful to offer, I responded to your GM!

Thank you again!

Kimberly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimberly
United States
Dallas/Fort Worth area
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
majicbaby wrote:
Besides the hotel lobby & bar, you need a badge to access any area or event of BGG.con.

Peter,

Thank you, my husband and I assumed that might be the case, but wanted to make sure!

Have a GREAT week!

Kimberly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimberly
United States
Dallas/Fort Worth area
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deitied wrote:
You would need a ticket to BGG CON to attend the Virtual Flea Market exchange.

Depending on the user, (if they are local or not, their desire to sell their game, etc...) they might be willing to make arrangements to meet you outside of the CON.

Jason,

Thank you! For now I think we are going to hold off on the VFM, but appreciate your input!

Hope tomorrow is a good start to your week!!!

Kimberly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimberly
United States
Dallas/Fort Worth area
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Family Meeple wrote:
If you know some going, you could ask them to pick up for you.

Kymmie, (sorry did not notice until now it messed up your name)

Thanks, we don't know anyone going, but Chad offered to pick stuff up for us if we needed!!!

Have a wonderful week!!!

Kimberly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Rhodes
msg tools
badge
Bigger on the Outside
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems needlessly bureaucratic. I would totally be against someone coming, enjoying the library and playing hall. But how does restricting someone who wants to spend 30 minutes to pick up games hurt anyone else? The sells would help BGG with the commission. The VFM is definitely not in the main areas of the con...

Just my humble opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimberly
United States
Dallas/Fort Worth area
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dwarvenfriend wrote:
This seems needlessly bureaucratic. I would totally be against someone coming, enjoying the library and playing hall. But how does restricting someone who wants to spend 30 minutes to pick up games hurt anyone else? The sells would help BGG with the commission. The VFM is definitely not in the main areas of the con...

Just my humble opinion.

I agree Jeremy, but I would assume in order to make sure that the people who are attending the VFM don't then wander into BGG CON the organizers would possibly have to hire more security because of this. That is the only thing I can think of as to why they limit it to ticket holders only.

If outsiders were allowed to attend the VFM it would definitely increase revenue for BGG and certainly for the sellers as you stated. Plus it would make for some happy buyers! It would be a win win situation all around!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Freitas
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwarvenfriend wrote:

Just my humble opinion.

The answer is simple BGG has a team geek member posted at the bottom of the stairs the entire con, no one without a badge is allowed down the stairs.

It's not needlessly bureaucratic it's simply keeping the rules the same 100% of the time instead of creating a headache in changing the rules for 1 event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ostrander
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwarvenfriend wrote:

Just my humble opinion.

BGG does not make commission off of the VFM. all money goes to the sellers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Freitas
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there is no mandate from bgg to pay them for vfm sales. it is however hoped that you would follow the same rules as auctions on bgg in that once all sales are finalized go to the bgg marketplace so that people give bgg a 3% commission since we used the website to make the sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Every exception to the rules means more people asking for exceptions and explanations as to why they can't do just this little, innocuous thing. It is much, much simpler and easier to just have one set of clear rules that everyone knows and follows.

If you want to participate in the amenities of the con, get a badge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
And, one of the "perks" for buying a ticket to BGG.Con is the VFM. We paid admission, we get the benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Rhodes
msg tools
badge
Bigger on the Outside
mbmbmbmbmb
zatchstar wrote:

BGG does not make commission off of the VFM. all money goes to the
sellers.

This is false

Quote:
Processing Payments

Per BGG Guidelines, it is the seller's responsibility to process final sales through the BGG Marketplace.

You are using BGGs resources to make a sale. Your sale should go through the payment process.

Tolio wrote:

The answer is simple BGG has a team geek member posted at the bottom of the stairs the entire con, no one without a badge is allowed down the stairs.

But the VFM is upstairs. I don't recall people checking for badges here.

As someone else said, it seems like a win win, especially with the limited number of people who would do this. I don't see all of the Dallas area boardgamers flocking to the VFM, but some might be enticed.

Again, this is my opinion. By no means am I going to lobby the BGG staff for this or make their lives harder. They do a great job creating an amazing environment for us to play and buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
There's already an issue with "Dallas-area boardgamers" trying to utilize the convention's amenities without having a badge; that's a part of the reason we have badge and 'band checks.

Why on earth would the convention want to muddy the waters, even a little?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Levins
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
Rolling dice and taking grains!
badge
Rolling dice and taking grains!
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
And to others, most of the VFM transactions DO NOT go through the BGG Marketplace. That is the choice of the seller. BGG does not (currently) require it.

For what it's worth, this is incorrect - it is BGG policy to require sellers using the VFM or other auction/selling lists to go through the BGG Marketplace upon completed sale. The VFM geeklist (as required) includes this:

Virtual Flea Market for Delivery to BGG.Con 2017 wrote:
Processing Payments

Per BGG Guidelines, it is the seller's responsibility to process final sales through the BGG Marketplace.

From the Guide to Selling Games on BGG:
Quote:
There are a number of ways to sell games through BGG. All sales should go through the Marketplace, as BGG asks for a small percentage of the sale price in enabling the sale.

BGG does require it, but I don't believe they strongly police the sellers in this regard. (That also doesn't mean it's right for the sellers to flaunt those requirements in hopes that they don't get caught - not that you'd suggest it, but someone would.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SHOULD it be a requirement? Why wouldn't the fees already be covered with the admission paid to attend the convention?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
TrimChris wrote:
SHOULD it be a requirement? Why wouldn't the fees already be covered with the admission paid to attend the convention?

Because the admission fees for the convention don't cover the costs of maintaining the servers allowing the creation of Geeklists, they only cover the costs of putting on the convention.

VFM transactions should go through the BGG Marketplace because BGG is providing the infrastructure to facilitate those sales.

The VFM Meetup on Thursday evening is a BGG.CON event, and like all other BGG.CON events and activities, it is open only to those with a BGG.CON badge and wristband.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.