9 Posts

Sails of Glory» Forums » General

Subject: Other Eras rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan Doherty
msg tools
mbmb
Are there still plans to do versions of this game in The Age of Exploration, Middle Ages, and ancient times?

And would you expect them to be compatible with this version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am ready for the Ironclads version. Yes, mostly for the minis. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:

Sort of surprised it hasn't happened, yet. Would seem that the system could handle it easily enough RE: damage...just have a relatively high 'burden' value (10 or 12 or so?) and relatively short damage track for the smaller US Civil War ironclads, for example.

Changing maneuver to steam-driven over sail would have a pretty big impact on how the game plays, of course. I mean, your maneuver deck would get a lot simpler when not having to worry about the wind. (But that would be true of regular steam-powered traditional line-of-battle ships, as well)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really like to see transitional-steam, sail/steam and river/coastal steam (ironclads, tinclads, rams, gunboats, etc up through Lissa, perhaps even the Sino-Japanese War).

Fascinating period, and having played and enjoyed SoG, I think the system is readily adaptable.

Perhaps the publisher is simply busy with two World Wars' worth of Wings of War just now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:
Perhaps the publisher is simply busy with two World Wars' worth of Wings of War just now.
My guess as well.

The ancient era would be great, probably more fun than Ironclads thanks to the joys of maneuver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lewis
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
badge
"He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:

Ironclads all the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shydler
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would certainly be interested in Ironclads, preferably broadly defined. So, European steam-powered wooden sols & frigates (a few anyway, as they could be used generically)& ironclads. Released mixed with Civil War vessels. Basically 1850 to 1870.

I would also like to see 17th Century ships (1650-1700). Many of these could almost be generic, with specials for each of the major sailing nations (England, France, Holland, and Spain). Of course this would play somewhat the same as the current game with the ships being less maneuverable. Oh, and here is where you stick in Pirates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einar J Wetaas
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First complete ships in the time area we are today.
Then I would like to see more ships from 1500-1650 period.

Then I hope Ares develope new rules with a large area of variation for the ships and launch WW2 ships and planes that work great together for that real feeling of a pacific battle during WW2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironclad era would probably be a good game design/marketing decision. The era is well suited to the skirmish type battles around which SoG is designed, and you would have a lot of unique ships to encourage collector buys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.