West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have designed a solo variant to be played with 1-4 AI opponents. The game is set up as per normal and you will notice each AI player has an AI board

The AI board uses a system similar to that used in the official solo game for Anachrony. You roll a dice and take an action. However, the AI actions alter with each die roll which is neat and works better with games where you want the AI to precede certain actions, like Pillaging, with other actions whilst retaining an element of randomness to keep the player on their toes.

In the draft stage you will split the cards into three decks Quest, Upgrade and Combat. Then each round you will draw a set number of these cards, draft one and discard the rest.

Once you have your hand of six cards each AI player is dealt three combat cards and the first round begins.

The AI has a few cheats up its sleeve. One of its options is to reduce Rage by one to increase a clan stat by one. The AI can also invade Yggdrasil directly. Other than that it mimics a human player.

The AI also doesn't have upgrade cards, but an upgrade track on its AI board which provides the AI with certain boosts for spending Rage. These include drafting monsters, increasing clan stats, gaining bonuses to combat cards, and gaining glory.

When battles occur you draw the top combat card for each clan involved and resolve as you would in the multiplayer game. The AI can play a second card if it plays a card such as Heimdall's eye.

At the end of each round the AI scores 5 glory for each unspent point of Rage and 2 glory points for each province in which it has the highest strength. This helps to balance out the player being able to complete Quests.

There is still some testing to do, and there are a few issues. The AI is a little swingy at present, you can also milk battles by letting the AI take the last spot in a province and then when it tries to pillage you beat it, rinse and repeat. There is therefore a need for more thought as to when the AI invades a province or decides to join battle from an adjacent province.

Version 2.0 of the Solo rules to be tested next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pelletier
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me - John 14:6
mbmbmbmbmb
Will you be uploading a rules file? I’d love to help you play test this. I’ve played several “solo” games of Blood Rage where I just randomize the cards and play each clan with a different strategy just because I love the game so much. If you can develop a decent and consistent AI for this game I would be all over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelly54 wrote:
Will you be uploading a rules file? I’d love to help you play test this. I’ve played several “solo” games of Blood Rage where I just randomize the cards and play each clan with a different strategy just because I love the game so much. If you can develop a decent and consistent AI for this game I would be all over it.

Same here. My desire to play this game VASTLY outweighs my opportunity to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelly54 wrote:

Yes I will be uploading a file with the rules and the AI boards, but I'm not totally happy with the way it currently plays. If the next iteration works broadly how I want it to then I will upload it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Gilbert
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribing for when you post the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Played again last night and the AI is now putting up a significant amount of fight in a 5 player game, but it is still a little hit and miss. The rules are simple and I'm wondering whether I need to tweak them slightly to level out the AI scores.

What tends to happen is that one or two AI's pull into an early lead and the others are left in the dust. The player sits in the middle and needs to make tough decisions to keep up (which is good). However, I think with a little tweak or two I could make it feel more like the multiplayer game.

The game does run at a good clip though so turns go quickly. I will try and post the rules by the end of this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pelletier
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me - John 14:6
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great...looking forward to it. I have a slow day at work, so I think I'm going to break Blood Rage out and play around with it this morning. Working from home is great for a solo gamer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Steger
Austria
Absam
flag msg tools
Great Idea i am very interested!
Please share your Variant!
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabio0907 wrote:
Thanks

I need to tweak and play again. I need a rule that will allow the AI to pass without pillaging every province. particularly if they are likely to lose the combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pelletier
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JK777 wrote:
Fabio0907 wrote:
Thanks

I need to tweak and play again. I need a rule that will allow the AI to pass without pillaging every province. particularly if they are likely to lose the combat.

Will there be anything in the AI rules that would allow it to play the Loki strategy? Or will the AI be strictly focused on winning battles and increasing stats? Not that a single-minded AI is bad, it would just provide a more complete experience if the AI was varied in it's approach (especially if you were able to play against multiple AI opponents). Plus, varied strategies would do more to prevent the solo-player from taking advantage of AI tendencies, like I always do when playing Power Grid solo with the Robots expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelly54 wrote:
JK777 wrote:
Fabio0907 wrote:
Thanks

Will there be anything in the AI rules that would allow it to play the Loki strategy? Or will the AI be strictly focused on winning battles and increasing stats? Not that a single-minded AI is bad, it would just provide a more complete experience if the AI was varied in it's approach (especially if you were able to play against multiple AI opponents). Plus, varied strategies would do more to prevent the solo-player from taking advantage of AI tendencies, like I always do when playing Power Grid solo with the Robots expansion.

I can make an AI board that gains benefits for losing battles. However, the AI could end up with strong battle cards and win its battles. I could also add rules for AI boards such that the AI will pillage provinces in which it has lower STR first. The only downside is that will complicate the AI rules.

I suppose the best thing to do is to have different AI boards and players can print and play with the basic board or they can use boards with different strategies and more rules if they prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Steger
Austria
Absam
flag msg tools
Great Ideas, thanks a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake G.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Sounds fantastic Jay! Really looking forward to the rules upload
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have uploaded the first draft version to Boardgamegeek and I am just waiting for the admin time to approve the file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pelletier
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool...looking forward to trying it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
OK the file is up and can be located here

You will need some pieces of paper with the numbers 1-6 on them to use as tracking markers and you will need to raid your games for some spare dice d4, d6 and d10.

Please let me know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pelletier
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JK777 wrote:
OK the file is up and can be located here

You will need some pieces of paper with the numbers 1-6 on them to use as tracking markers and you will need to raid your games for some spare dice d4, d6 and d10.

Please let me know what you think.

Awesome! I play D&D so I have plenty of dice. My wife and I have the day off today, so it’s Date Day (woo!), but I will surely find time this week to play test and give you my thoughts. Thanks again for putting this together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
romano veronese
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
I have difficulty to understand the mechanic of the tracking . cry
Quote:
•The AI take turns taking actions just like the player. If, on the AI’s turn, it has more than zero Rage, roll d6 and refer to the AI board. Take the action listed on the board as indicated by matching tracking marker and pay the Rage cost indicated.
•Whether the AI took an action or not move the tracking marker matching the number rolled in the direction of the arrows shown on the board & play moves to the next player. If there are ever three markers on the same space move the highest numbered marker to the next available space.

Can you post an example of play?
I don't understand if i roll every time the dice or just the first time.
Board A i roll a 3. Put a tracker on 3 and upgrade.
Next turn i roll dice and... thank you for your time .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Holley
msg tools
Thanks for your work on this. Likewise I’d like an example of play as I can almost follow it but not quite. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.