Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

The Godfather: Corleone's Empire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about illegal goods cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Schmieder
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find the entry...

The rules state that if an illegal good pile is empty, there is no replacement. But does that mean that when I spend an illegal good, it is discarded (and thus out of the game) or do I put it back onto the pile of that illegal good, so it can later be picked up again?

Thanks for clarifying!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes when you use them or discard them they go back in the common area...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geurt van Lagen
msg tools
Can you put illegal products in the thin box or only money and played job cards?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geurt wrote:
Can you put illegal products in the thin box or only money and played job cards?


You can only put illegal goods in the suitcase when you complete the Job that the other players all discard 1 card from their hand and then you choose one of the discarded cards and put it in the suitcase.
In that case you can pick up an illegal good and put in the suitcase.

By doing the normal suitcase action you can only put money in.

Job cards only go into the suitcase when you complete the job or by doing the same thing I explained above for the illegal goods
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pouyan A.
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
I thought you could never put illegal goods into your suitcase. I thought it was only money and/or job cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rome Knows Nothing
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
calidoggg wrote:
I thought you could never put illegal goods into your suitcase. I thought it was only money and/or job cards.


Only when theres a time as stated above.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pouyan A.
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
jnowak415 wrote:
calidoggg wrote:
I thought you could never put illegal goods into your suitcase. I thought it was only money and/or job cards.


Only when theres a time as stated above.


But what's the point? It doesn't add any value...or am I missing something?

I can see that you might want to minimize the illegal goods common area, but I always thought suitcasing these cards was never allowed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
calidoggg wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
calidoggg wrote:
I thought you could never put illegal goods into your suitcase. I thought it was only money and/or job cards.


Only when theres a time as stated above.


But what's the point? It doesn't add any value...or am I missing something?

I can see that you might want to minimize the illegal goods common area, but I always thought suitcasing these cards was never allowed.


You can do it like I explained above... this was posted on the forums by Rodney Smith himself, he made the rules video on the game, etc... so I trust him if he says so...

Obviously if you can choose in that instance between money, a job card or an illegal good to put in the suitcase I don't see anyone picking the good... but if you are only offered goods, you can do it to make the supply of a specific good smaller...
anyway, this is a very specific scenario and not a very important one
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
And what become of her new straw hat that should have come to me?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CMON appears to have clarified that goods cannot be suitcased.

Re: Can't Refuse Job
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
h00sha wrote:
CMON appears to have clarified that goods cannot be suitcased.

Re: Can't Refuse Job


This has been discussed in another topic and like I said it was posted here on BGG by Rodney Smith that you can...

I trust more a post on BGG by Rodney Smith than the word of "someone from CMON on a demo table in a con somewhere"

Even on that post, at the end it's said what I said here... in the last 2 posts!

Here is another discussion on this:

Muse23PT wrote:
lfisher wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:
tilouboy wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:
If anyone gives you a job card, you may choose to put it in your suitcase. And consider yourself very lucky as this almost never happens.

On the other hand, if everyone gives you item cards, you must return them all to their draw piles since item cards do not benefit from being suitcased.

Also, this is not the same as finishing the job. Don't collect any rewards for the job. Just put it in your suitcase! It can help you get an end game bonus but that's it


You say you must return it to the piles... I've seen other topics where it was said (I think by Rodney Smith, so it's sort of official) that if you want you could also put illegal goods you receive this way in the case... the pool is limited and you might want to make it even more limited by taking goods out of the game


No you can't do that.


Can I ask in what you base your affirmation?

Like I said, I would agree with you when I first saw this discussed in another thread but then Rodney Smith that did the Official How to Play video and that has direct line with Eric Lang and the CMON team said it was possible to suitcase an Illegal good when completing this job... so if he says we can do it I will allow this to be done until some higher source, be it Eric Lang or someone from CMON says he's wrong!

Like I said, the player won't get anything from suitcasing the illegal good but if he has nothing more that the opponents discarded maybe he wants to limit the availability of a certain resource.

You can see this discussion here:
Can't Refuse Job

The reply regarding Rodney is close to the end of the page


From that thread, Rodney is talking about suitcasing job cards, not goods?


You are correct... thought it was that one... it wasn't... it's this one:

Can't Refuse

and the reply by the man himself:
Pelvidar wrote:
El_Tonio wrote:
Good question. We played you could put any card in your suitcase (but were not 100% sure).

But, for the most part it made sense to put a money card (which are VP at the end) or a job card (since you compete for the most of each color at the end).


You can put any card in there that you wanted, say a gun resource, but it wouldn't have any value for you at the end of the game.


I knew I had read a direct reply from Rodney regarding this question
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pouyan A.
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Why wouldn't you trust CMON over Rodney Smith? Last I checked, Rodney doesn't work for CMON. Just because he was part of the Tabletop Showcase doesn't mean he's the official source of the rules for the game. Isn't it also possible that he could've made a (minor) mistake in his video?

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way discrediting Rodney Smith. I think he does amazing work. Love all of his videos and they are so well done.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
calidoggg wrote:
Why wouldn't you trust CMON over Rodney Smith? Last I checked, Rodney doesn't work for CMON. Just because he was part of the Tabletop Showcase doesn't mean he's the official source of the rules for the game.


Because Rodney worked with CMON to do the official rules video for the game
Because Rodney I know who he is and what he does and his work ethic and "someone from CMON in a Con somewhere" I don't know who that person is and the amount of knowledge that person has with the game... just because he works for CMON in Con doesn't mean he knows the game well... he can be someone that was just hired to demo the game... Just go to a Con, for example Essen and you'll see what I'm talking about... there are a lot of demoers that simply know very little about the game they are demoing...

Like I said, Rodney does this for a living, I know who he is and how he works when he's commissioned for a job like this one... so I'm confident in what he says, specially in the forum of the game in a written format where it's not hearsay or "someone that knows someone that works on CMON told me"

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pouyan A.
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Not to (continue) be a jerk , but Rodney replied to a comment on the youtube video which conflicts with what you are saying here.



It sure implies that you cannot suitcase any other type of card except for money or job cards.

I hate arguing back and forth, and you can play the game any way you please, but I'm almost positive it was not designed for you to be able to suitcase illegal good cards or ally cards under any circumstances.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
calidoggg wrote:
Not to (continue) be a jerk , but Rodney replied to a comment on the youtube video which conflicts with what you are saying here.



It sure implies that you cannot suitcase any other type of card except for money or job cards.

I hate arguing back and forth, and you can play the game any way you please, but I'm almost positive it was not designed for you to be able to suitcase illegal good cards or ally cards under any circumstances.


I don't see in that screenshot Rodney contradicting himself... the first comment asked if Job cards could be suitcased with the Can't Refuse Job rewards and Rodney said the Job Cards could be suitcased that way...

He didn't say anything about Illegal Goods because that wasn't part of the question he was replying to...

Then someone else asked about the Illegal Goods and Allies discarded that way if you can put them in your hand instead of the suitcase... and that's where your screenshot stops so I don't know if he replied to that or not...

Anyway, like I said before, I'm basing my comments on a reply from Rodney that has official knowledge about the game... like I also said in the other post I commented, Rodney is not a God, so he may be wrong, he may have misspoken, etc...
Either way, until I see something official or from Rodney saying that you can't suitcase the Illegal Goods with the Can't Refuse job I'll allow players to suitcase them...

And like I also said, this is a specific situation that I bet won't happen a lot during the game and that has little impact in the gameplay and scoring so I really don't think it's that important
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can not suit-case illegal goods. You can only suit-case Jobs or Money.

When you complete a Job, the illegal resources are put back in the common pile. This is part of the game's overall meta (you can horde a specific resource and refuse to play job cards with them to prevent others from using it).

Part of the reason why players must show which cards they are Suit-casing is to stop players from stashing resources/illegal goods or jobs they actually didn't complete.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ShotgunGames wrote:
You can not suit-case illegal goods. You can only suit-case Jobs or Money.

When you complete a Job, the illegal resources are put back in the common pile. This is part of the game's overall meta (you can horde a specific resource and refuse to play job cards with them to prevent others from using it).

Part of the reason why players must show which cards they are Suit-casing is to stop players from stashing resources/illegal goods or jobs they actually didn't complete.


And you are correct when it comes to a Suitcase Action... that is not what we are talking about here!

Here we are discussing one of the Rewards of the "Can't Refuse" job that says that all other players discard 1 card from their hand and you pick one of those cards and put it in your suitcase...
This is NOT a suitcase action, this is just picking a card from those discarded by the other players... nowhere in the rules says that you can't select one those cards, it says specifically the opposite... it says to choose one of the discarded cards and put it in your suitcase... so if any of the discarded cards is an Illegal Good there's no rule in the game that prevents you from selecting the Illegal Good!
Even if there's a rule that said that, we all know that cards change the rules of the game, it's like that in most of the games and it's the same thing here!

By your logic, with this action you could only put money cards in the suitcase with this job because you aren't completing any of the job cards discarded by the other players, so if you aren't completing those job cards then you shouldn't be able to put them in the suitcase because you can only put job cards in the suitcase after you complete the job!

I really don't understand why people keep "fighting" this... makes no sense:

1- The words on the cards trump the rules.
The words on this card say to choose one of the discarded cards and put it in the suitcase, they don't limit the choice of the player...

2- Rodney Smith that worked with CMON on the official Rules video of the game, and that because of that knows the rules better than 99.999% of anyone alive, says that in this case you can put an Illegal Good card in the suitcase.

You can say you don't agree with that rule, or that you don't like that rule, etc... What you can't do is come in here and make affirmations that are incorrect and mislead people, specially after there are several posts in this thread explaining how things should be, just because you think that's the way they work!

Also, from your reply, I'm not sure you understood the main focus of the question because, like I said at the start, what you say is correct for a normal Suitcase Action, that is not what we are discussing here.

I'm getting a bit tired of this, really!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally played the game today. This exact scenario actually came up.

I was the one who played Can't Refuse. Both of the other players showed an illegal good. I couldn't help but chuckle.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ShotgunGames wrote:
Finally played the game today. This exact scenario actually came up.

I was the one who played Can't Refuse. Both of the other players showed an illegal good. I couldn't help but chuckle.


hahahaha...

and did you suitcase it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pouyan A.
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
ShotgunGames wrote:
Finally played the game today. This exact scenario actually came up.

I was the one who played Can't Refuse. Both of the other players showed an illegal good. I couldn't help but chuckle.


funny enough, same thing happened to me this past Saturday. My opponent played Can't Refuse and I gave him a booze card. He just discarded it since we decided we can't suitcase anything except for money and/or job cards.

I agree though, this scenario is very minor in the grand scheme of things. However you play it, shouldn't deter from the fun you'll have.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.