Ben Maddox
Germany
berlin
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
It's the journey not the destination.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a great week. Here is one of the finest commentators in gaming and I man I hope to meet one day.

Nick Mariner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

TheGoodMariner wrote:
benisace wrote:

When I think about my life, I tend to think about the movie John Wick. I never had a wife die, and I don't have any cool cars or house or clothes or any money, and I don't know any special hand-to-hand or tactical combat skills, and as far as I know I've never had a hit put out on me by the Russian mob, nor do I belong to a secret and sexy cabal of international assassins. I think what I'm trying to say is that I also have a beagle, and I love Keanu Reeves.

Like most of us in this hobby, I suspect, board games were an enjoyable feature of my childhood and adolescence, but not necessarily central. I still own the edition of Scotland Yard that we had in my grandmother's basement, and to this day spend at least part of every week thinking about the criminally underrated, VHS-integrated classic Atmosfear. A lot of folks like to drop some Avalon Hill reference at this point to let you know they've been around the block a few times and the rest of you plebes need to get on their level. I can't be that guy, because I'm not that guy. I'd say I came into designer board gaming as my primary hobby within the last decade, the heaviest investment into which certainly came within the last five or six years. Since then, and I don't think this is an exaggeration, I have vanquished all foes, stealing their lifeforce like a Highlander quickening, and ascending to an echelon of gaming skill and stardom previously held unimaginable by my now throngs of adoring fans. I get that makes this bio a little unnecessary, since clearly you, Reader, follow my every move already. But here goes anyway.

I'm an educator by trade. I taught history for years and spent the last little chunk of my professional career teaching future teachers in a College of Education program. So yeah, that's DOCTOR Geek of the Week, and don't forget it, Friend. I'm currently residing in Dallas, Texas, but haven't had the same address for longer than 18 months in the last fifteen years so by time you read this that could very well not be true.

I am the Board Game Professor on the Perfect Information podcast. If you don't listen to us yet (what am I saying? of COURSE you do), we're a small but committed operation. I'm awfully proud to be a part of it, modest as my little bit of the show might be. The goal of my segment, what I hope to make my contribution to this hobby on some level however minute, is to think deeply about the WHY of board games. Why do we do what we do at the table? What role do games play in the greater social organism? How can the mountains of political and social and historical theory we have out there help us have a clearer idea on any of this? Also, why don't people exclusively like the games I like and unequivocally hate the games I hate, as should be exactly the way it works?

I love board games. I can't imagine a circumstance in the entire world that has you reading this right now and not also loving board games, too. So look, we have something in common already. I look forward to talking to everyone this week and getting to know some new avis and screennames in the hobby. Maybe soon at BGG Con here in Dallas, those will turn into names and faces.

Finally (is anyone still reading this?), I must give great thanks to Ben for the nomination. It's been a rough cyclone of a year for me (gross, vague), and this means an awful lot. It's a great hobby with a great community, and I'm happy to be a part of it.

Ok, jerks. Have at thee.

Poll
Two truths and a lie.
Which is the lie?
1) My first car was a 87 Chevy Nova we called "The Mofo"
2) I am one of only three to have their name on the wall at a local eatery for finishing a 4-pound burrito in 30 minutes
3) I am published in both the fiction and non-fiction world.
      62 answers
Poll created by benisace

I'll start off with some questions for you:

1)Why do you think you lean towards the Euros?

2)What can gaming bring to society?

3)Do you see any trends in the gaming hobby that are disconcerting?

4)Do you see any trends that are encouraging?

5)What games would your favourite philosopher play?

6)Do superhero comic books reinforce a 'might makes right' attitude in our culture?

7)What was the last game you fell in love with?

8)Three adjectives that describe your gaming style?

Enjoy your week. You are right out of the top drawer.

Cheers,

Ben

-----------------------------------------

Click https://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Geek_of_the_Week for more information on the Geek of the Week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Nick!
Have a wizard of a week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard tpye? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dringautzki
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
My Blog - Shades Of Boardgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Nick!

Ok, what is your favorite non Keanu Reeves movie?

Have a great week
Peat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Bock
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I like my beer like I like my board games...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, cool, congrats Nick!

I'll do the beer questions!

1: What was your first craft beer that you remember as being something special?

2: What's the best beer name pun you can remember?

3: Do you currently have a favorite beer style?

4: What's your favorite beer-related board game, whether you've played it or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Nick. Have a great week!

What is your favorite spaceship? And why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Mariner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
Congratulations Nick!
Have a wizard of a week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard tpye? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?

As a massive Tolkien fan (both in my length and passion for his work and my relative size), I should say Gandalf. But my favorite wizard is Usidore the Blue from the podcast Hello from the Magic Tavern. That's not a gaming answer, but you MUST listen to that show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Mariner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MeeplePeat wrote:
Congrats Nick!

Ok, what is your favorite non Keanu Reeves movie?

Have a great week
Peat

I've been waiting for this question my entire life. Finally, someone takes it serious enough to ask. I *think* my answer is Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, although I still love The Replacements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Mariner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indjk wrote:
Ah, cool, congrats Nick!

I'll do the beer questions!

1: What was your first craft beer that you remember as being something special?

2: What's the best beer name pun you can remember?

3: Do you currently have a favorite beer style?

4: What's your favorite beer-related board game, whether you've played it or not?

Finally, something I know more about that all that dumb school I went to.

1: I think my first craft beer was the Gaelic Ale from Highland Brewery out of Asheville, NC. Still one of my favorites.

2: Puns are the lowest form of comedy and should not be acknowledged by the learned class. But there is a beer here in Dallas called American Wit and it has a picture of Mark Twain on the can, so that's close enough I feel like.

3: My favorite style is almost certainly a Belgian-style tripel, although my I'll lean toward a wit on most occasions. I steer away from hop monsters unless really in the mood.

4: Brew Crafters is a top 50 game for me. That's an easy one.

5, which wasn't asked - what's a craft brewery you would recommend?: Schlafly Brewery in St. Louis, MO and Community Brewery in Dallas, TX
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Mariner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jocab wrote:
Congratulations Nick. Have a great week!

What is your favorite spaceship? And why?

My heart belongs on the Firefly-class transport ship Serenity (from the show Firefly, get it???????). It's pretty to look at, not a warship, and crewed by the greatest bunch of miscreants this side of the black.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Nick!

You're a teacher, right? What's the weirdest thing you've ever heard a student say?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Mariner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benisace wrote:
Thanks for a great week. Here is one of the finest commentators in gaming and I man I hope to meet one day.

Ben, my podcast comrade-in-arms, Sleepless-In-Seattle style long-distance friend, and person whose face I will one day actually behold, here goes:

I'll start off with some questions for you:

1)Why do you think you lean towards the Euros?

2)What can gaming bring to society?

3)Do you see any trends in the gaming hobby that are disconcerting?

4)Do you see any trends that are encouraging?

5)What games would your favourite philosopher play?

6)Do superhero comic books reinforce a 'might makes right' attitude in our culture?

7)What was the last game you fell in love with?

8)Three adjectives that describe your gaming style?

Enjoy your week. You are right out of the top drawer.

Cheers,

Ben

-----------------------------------------

Click https://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Geek_of_the_Week for more information on the Geek of the Week

1) I think I lean toward Euros because of their adherence to deep strategy over thematic exposition. My group always says "the more boring the art, the more likely we'll like it." A game about space or goblins can sometimes get a pass on weak gameplay because it lets people "feel like" they're experiencing a story. If your game is about controlling market prices of pencil lead in the pioneer West, you ain't got nothing but your mechanics to hold the game up.

2) Look, I don't want to wax utopian here, but games are the skeleton key to unlock the secrets to a peaceful coexistence only previously imagined in the greatest songs of Valar upon Arda. Not to overstate.

3) Two trends I don't love. I wish we weren't so obsessed with disposable games, meaning games with a finite number of plays in the box then they are nigh unplayable. Part of the fun of board games is that you can play them until the corners of the lid separate and you have to hold it together with painter's tape. The second is the slow extinction of the $50 board game. I'm not positive how many factors contribute to it (I have some guesses), but most games now cost under $30, or $70 or more. We either have tight, well-designed small boxes, or giant shelf-benders that take up a full month's games budget. That sweet in-between spot appears to be falling away.

4) The trends I see that are encouraging are the mainstreaming of the hobby - wait was that guy on Orphan Black holding a copy of Puerto Rico; and the production value of some games really making things pop on the table. I get that that directly contradicts my previous concern with cost, but have you SEEN Photosynthesis on the table? It's gorgeous.

5) This question is so fatuous and ostentatious. It's perfect for me. I'm going to start by naming my favorite philosopher as John Dewey for the sake of the question. He believed in the value of education as a community transaction. For that reason I will say his favorite game would be

6) You had to. You just had to. My answer is yes and no. Sometimes that is the case. Actually often the story involves "strongest or most cunning gets to be the hero." But what I love about comics is that often, despite the superpowers, they are grappling with struggles of identity and inclusion. X-Men is about diversity; Captain America is about the PROMISE of freedom, not nationalistic patriotism; Daredevil is about the tension of procedure; the Hulk is about the monster inside you. None of it is without critique, but people know smoking will kill them and do it anyway. At least my thing has Chris Evans.

7) The last game I fell completely in love with is probably Mottainai. It's so good, so complex, so perfect. Top 20 game for me easily, and the last game I remember feeling really like "holy crap, I will never stop playing this."

8) Esoteric, Perspicacious, Libidinous
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Mariner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IngredientX wrote:
Congrats Nick!

You're a teacher, right? What's the weirdest thing you've ever heard a student say?

Not making this up. I had a student text me once at 1:00 in the morning to tell me her house was burning down and wasn't sure if she'd have the paper written for the next day. To which I replied "please get to safety."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Nick! Have a great week.

What are two or three games that tap into the experience of being a professor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGoodMariner wrote:
5) This question is so fatuous and ostentatious. It's perfect for me. I'm going to start by naming my favorite philosopher as John Dewey for the sake of the question. He believed in the value of education as a community transaction. For that reason I will say his favorite game would be

Help, I don't know enough about philosophy to know if this is a typo or an inside joke!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Nick!

What was the biggest screw-you moment you have had, in a game? Giving, receiving, self-inflicted, or some combination therein.

Is there a game that you love, but are terrible at?

If you could say one thing, in this world, that is true, what would it be?

If you had to live in either perpetual darkness, perpetual light, or perpetual gloom; which would you choose?

What is the most money you have frittered away, in the shortest amount of time?

If you had to participate in an eating competition, what would be your food of choice?

What would be your UFC/WWE fighter name?

How do you define “art”?

What was the best shower/bath you have ever had?

If money and access were no object, what would be the object on earth you would buy? Collectable or not.

Is there something you cannot resist buying, if you see it (of course board games, silly, what else?)?

What is a song that you can listen to over and over? If you could only listen to one genre of music, forever, what genre would you choose?

Who is your favorite villain?

Is it weird to answer so many questions from on stranger on the internet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hillier
United States
Kettering
OH
flag msg tools
WDYPTW Podcast
badge
I am the wurst!
mbmbmbmbmb
So funny you should say Nova. I too had a Nova - had a zero to 60 in 60 minutes bumper sticker. I saw a well maintained powder blue Nova last week.

So why yellow?

Tell us about you kids?

Tell us about you children - the previous was intended to be about your pets.

You are theoretically also a stand up comedian - when are you going to start being funny?

Congratulations! You deserve this.

Love you - Phil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Nick, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb

Congratulations Nick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lees
United States
Northfield
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Nick! Ben made a fine choice, as expected.

Now, for the important question:
What's your favorite thing about me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Clare
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Nick!! I, too, love Keanu Reeves, mostly for his swoon-worthyness and, secondly, because he's a bad a$$. Hope we can game again at BGG.Con! meeple

And now my question: Which games have you just simply hated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Miller
United States
Winchendon
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Memoir '44 World Cup Tournament Organizer - Red Eyed Jack
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Nick!

Here's some questions, beginning with a gaming question.

d10-1 Have you ever played any of the following games: Memoir '44, Shadows over Camelot, BANG!, High Noon Saloon?

Now for some non-gaming questions.

Favorite?
d10-2 Flavor of Ice Cream?
d10-3 Kind of pie?
d10-4 Vegetable?
d10-5 Kind of Cookie?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on making Geek of the Week!

I have a few questions for you......
1 What is your opinion of war gaming?
2 Do you have a favorite war game; if so, what is it?
3 What are your opinions or memories of playing Risk?
4 What are your opinions or memories of playing Axis & Allies?
5 What game would you tell all gamers about that just has no publicity and that nobody knows about?
6 What game reminds you most of teaching would-be teachers?

I thank you for your time. thumbsup cool

-M_R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Nick and enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Congrats Nick! Have a good week of gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Professor; does that mean we all have an extra week before we need to hand in our course work?

1. Your voice is very rough and gravelly - ever thought of buying a medicinal lozenge at all?

2. While it's delightful and refreshing to talk about Proust, Heidegger, Wittgenstein, Sartre, Socrates etc WRT gaming, games and game theory on the Perfect Information podcast, would it hurt to throw in some knob gags every now-and-again?

3. If you had to make sweet, sweet love to a board game box (if you HAD to), which one would you make sweet, sweet love to? And why?

4. What's going to happen to us, Nick? Are we gonna be 'ok'?

Love, as always,
Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.