Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Citadels» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Player is always king, what to do about it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
No Nonsense

Portland
msg tools
Hello everyone

I played a very strange 4 player game of citadels. There was a player who was always the king. His strategy was this:

- If the assassin and king are both available, he picks the assassin and murders the king
- If the assassin was unavailable, he picks the king
- if the king is not in the deck, he takes another role, but mostly assassin or thief

He did this because this way he would never get killed and rarely lost his money. And also when someone was stupid enough to pick the king he had lots of fun. He's the type of guy that doesn't really play to win, but he has a lot of fun blocking other players (even if they aren't leading).

This wasn't a particular good strategy for him as he very rarely picked a character with a bonus. However, this was a HUGE gift to player 2. He could pick whichever card and be almost sure not to get killed. If player 3 and 4 had some money, he picked the thief and was 100% sure to get money (after picking the thief, 3 cards remain of which one is the king. Player 3 and 4 never pick the king because they will be assassinated).

So player 2 won the game with ease and there was nothing to do about it. Or so I think. Any suggestions?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zuhyc wrote:
He's the type of guy that doesn't really play to win, but he has a lot of fun blocking other players (even if they aren't leading).

The majority of games can be broken by this type of player. I personally wouldn't play with him.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My six year old initially played that way. We let her have the king over and over and so the thief and/or assassin always knew who they could target-- with the exception that it was the face-down card.

EDIT:
Got the situation backwards.
Are you remembering that an assassinated king still claims the crown at the end of the round?
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Nonsense

Portland
msg tools
whac3 wrote:

EDIT:
Got the situation backwards.
Are you remembering that an assassinated king still claims the crown at the end of the round?


I did not! This changes the game. I'll let him know the next time we play. Thanks for the tip
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Nonsense

Portland
msg tools
steckman wrote:
Zuhyc wrote:
He's the type of guy that doesn't really play to win, but he has a lot of fun blocking other players (even if they aren't leading).

The majority of games can be broken by this type of player. I personally wouldn't play with him.


He's one of my best friends and one of the few who is always up for a boardgame.

I could purchase some co-op games where he can't hurt anyone.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W.
United States
Madera
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

Are you remembering that an assassinated king still claims the crown at the end of the round?


Yeah, I was going to say this as well. Would be a different game otherwise.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
France
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
After all, a murder is only an extroverted suicide.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zuhyc wrote:
steckman wrote:
Zuhyc wrote:
He's the type of guy that doesn't really play to win, but he has a lot of fun blocking other players (even if they aren't leading).

The majority of games can be broken by this type of player. I personally wouldn't play with him.


He's one of my best friends and one of the few who is always up for a boardgame.

I could purchase some co-op games where he can't hurt anyone.


If he likes to "manipulate" the game to his advantage, even if not to win, playing co-op might not help, and even maybe aggravate it all, as the situation will necesseraly lead to arguing... He might try to get a bossy role and decide for everyone. No one will get fun, except himself.

If his attitude really disrupts the table, try talking to him about it. A sane group is important, and dialogue is key to this.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the problem really. Keep destroying his golden districts with the warlord, and completely out play him with the merchant, architect and bishop otherwise.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zuhyc wrote:
I could purchase some co-op games where he can't hurt anyone.


Pick up a multiplayer solitaire non-coop "race" game where his actions mostly only affect himself. Adventure Game such as Talisman, Prophecy, and Runebound come to mind.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezequiel Genender
Argentina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Assassinated king still claims the crown at the end of the round.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
[
Zuhyc wrote:
So player 2 won the game with ease and there was nothing to do about it. Or so I think. Any suggestions?
If you want easy, but more unsatisfying wins, play Puerto Rico and sit to the left of him

Zuhyc wrote:
whac3 wrote:

EDIT:
Got the situation backwards.
Are you remembering that an assassinated king still claims the crown at the end of the round?


I did not! This changes the game. I'll let him know the next time we play. Thanks for the tip


I don't know if it'll help that much...
As Ass. he kills the King
Next Round, he'll just take the King if available to get the crown back, still making his choices predictable.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wong
msg tools
"Assassinated king still claims the crown at the end of the round."

That. You're playing it wrong if you didn't do that.

Also that happened with my group of colleagues and basically people always assassinate the king, making whoever picked the king lose their turn. They could remain the king if they so wished but they wouldn't be able to progress. If someone else picked the king, they'd get assassinated, but at least the crown has moved.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Torvatn
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lookingglass wrote:
"Assassinated king still claims the crown at the end of the round."

That. You're playing it wrong if you didn't do that.

Also that happened with my group of colleagues and basically people always assassinate the king, making whoever picked the king lose their turn. They could remain the king if they so wished but they wouldn't be able to progress. If someone else picked the king, they'd get assassinated, but at least the crown has moved.


But if the assasin always kills the king , would not the first person able to claim the merchant always win?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Harald wrote:
lookingglass wrote:
"Assassinated king still claims the crown at the end of the round."

That. You're playing it wrong if you didn't do that.

Also that happened with my group of colleagues and basically people always assassinate the king, making whoever picked the king lose their turn. They could remain the king if they so wished but they wouldn't be able to progress. If someone else picked the king, they'd get assassinated, but at least the crown has moved.


But if the assasin always kills the king , would not the first person able to claim the merchant always win?
that's why you mix things up and go after him every now and then.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.