Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
....which is what you would want your State Department to be doing

Quote:
The Trump administration acknowledged on Saturday for the first time that it was in direct communication with the government of North Korea over its missile and nuclear tests, seeking a possible way forward beyond the escalating threats of a military confrontation from both sides.

“We are probing, so stay tuned,” Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson said, when pressed about how he might begin a conversation with Kim Jong-un, the North Korean leader, that could avert what many government officials fear is a significant chance of open conflict between the two countries.

“We ask, ‘Would you like to talk?’ We have lines of communications to Pyongyang — we’re not in a dark situation, a blackout,” he added. “We have a couple, three channels open to Pyongyang,” a reference to North Korea’s capital.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/30/world/asia/us-north-korea...

The responsible sane to do in this situation. Unfortunately, no one informed the president he has to act sane in such a situation, because the day after this became known he reacted thusly

So managing to not only undercut his own Secretary of State, but more importantly undercutting voices within North Korea trying to moderate this crises. I have a feeling those voices will be silenced quite soon, and in a rather permanent way.

Anyone voting for him and not seeing this is a probable outcome of putting him in the Commander in Chief chair was either seriously delusional or just did not give a damn about anything or anyone beyond their own grievances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was originally opposed to Tillerson because of his ties to Russia. However, I am happy that he has proved me wrong by doing a good job so far.

Even if Trump is right that the USA - NK talks are not going to work, it is a terrible idea to say so publicly. Saying in advance that the talks are a waste of time could become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikePustilnik wrote:
I was originally opposed to Tillerson because of his ties to Russia. However, I am happy that he has proved me wrong by doing a good job so far.

"Experts think he is one of the worst Secretaries of State in history"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Be Excellent To Each Other
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
....which is what you would want your State Department to be doing

Quote:
The Trump administration acknowledged on Saturday for the first time that it was in direct communication with the government of North Korea over its missile and nuclear tests, seeking a possible way forward beyond the escalating threats of a military confrontation from both sides.

“We are probing, so stay tuned,” Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson said, when pressed about how he might begin a conversation with Kim Jong-un, the North Korean leader, that could avert what many government officials fear is a significant chance of open conflict between the two countries.

“We ask, ‘Would you like to talk?’ We have lines of communications to Pyongyang — we’re not in a dark situation, a blackout,” he added. “We have a couple, three channels open to Pyongyang,” a reference to North Korea’s capital.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/30/world/asia/us-north-korea...

The responsible sane to do in this situation. Unfortunately, no one informed the president he has to act sane in such a situation, because the day after this became known he reacted thusly

So managing to not only undercut his own Secretary of State, but more importantly undercutting voices within North Korea trying to moderate this crises. I have a feeling those voices will be silenced quite soon, and in a rather permanent way.

Anyone voting for him and not seeing this is a probable outcome of putting him in the Commander in Chief chair was either seriously delusional or just did not give a damn about anything or anyone beyond their own grievances.

They were mostly given their "Grievances" by Fox News and social media bots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
MikePustilnik wrote:

How much of this is due to him being condemned to enact the policies of his employer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Smith
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The great negotiator and deal maker in action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
mightygodking wrote:
MikePustilnik wrote:

How much of this is due to him being condemned to enact the policies of his employer?

you could maybe click through to the link, which specifically addresses that question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
mightygodking wrote:
MikePustilnik wrote:

you could maybe click through to the link, which specifically addresses that question

Hey look... that's a link!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
MikePustilnik wrote:

Interesting. I didn't know about the internal problems in the State Department. I was judging him by his public positions, which seemed quite reasonable to me. Is the Vox article correct, or is there another side to the story?

It does seem odd that a professional executive would ignore the advice of State Department veterans when taking over the State Department. If the Vox article is correct, then this is a mistake that Tillerson should not have made.

Edit: Vanity Fair appears to agree with Vox:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/08/rex-tillerson-state-...

foreignpolicy.com has a different view (but the article was written in March):

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/03/03/massive-change-is-coming...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
mightygodking wrote:
MikePustilnik wrote:

It's hard to say.

I vacillate between thinking Tillerson is the worst secretary of State in modern history - so giving him the excuse of INCOMPETENCE - or thinking that he is for whatever reasons actively working to destroy American diplomacy and the State Dept as an institution; in other words, SABOTAGE.

Neither is a good look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
MikePustilnik wrote:
mightygodking wrote:
MikePustilnik wrote:

Interesting. I didn't know about the internal problems in the State Department. I was judging him by his public positions, which seemed quite reasonable to me. Is the Vox article correct, or is there another side to the story?

It does seem odd that a professional executive would ignore the advice of State Department veterans when taking over the State Department. If the Vox article is correct, then this is a mistake that Tillerson should not have made.

Edit: Vanity Fair appears to agree with Vox:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/08/rex-tillerson-state-...

foreignpolicy.com has a different view (but the article was written in March):

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/03/03/massive-change-is-coming...

All of those articles are accurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GoSteelers wrote:
The great negotiator and deal maker in action.

Kushner was involved?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.