Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Battleground» Forums » General

Subject: What are the differences between a Reinforcement Deck and a Starter Deck? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Tompkins
Canada
Pointe-Claire
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have received a Reinforcements Deck (Men of Hawkshold). Is it absolutely necessary to have a Starter Deck to be able to play?
What is the difference? Is there a complete cardlist anywhere?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Starter deck contains the Action cards for the faction. So yes, you need one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Tompkins
Canada
Pointe-Claire
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response. I guess this one won't make it to the table since it is out of print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could play without a Command Deck if you wanted: you wouldn't be able to use commands to draw cards, but then neither could your opponent. There are other uses for commands. (Although admittedly drawing cards for later use is a pretty common one.) You could certainly get an idea of how the game plays that way.

There is a reference of command cards at https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/29909/battleground-co... . It doesn't say how many of each card are in a deck: most cards are in there twice, but some only happen once. (There might even be some triples; it's been a while since I looked.) You could probably get away with a flat distribution, especially if both you and your opponent will be drawing from the same deck.

The game is under new management, but I haven't heard a schedule for the reprints yet. If that's still...in the cards. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Tompkins
Canada
Pointe-Claire
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the replies.
Does anyone know if the Command Cards in each faction pack were identical or were they asymmetrically tailored to the faction?

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twenty are common to every deck, ten are unique to the faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
United States
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battleground is very much still in print. In fact, new expansions are in development. You can find the game through the publisher's website, yourmovegames.com

You definitely want to play the game with the Command cards that come in the Starter decks. The command system is at the heart of the game's mechanics and playing cards from the command deck is a big part of that. As someone else indicated, some of the cards are the same for every faction, but there are also unique cards representing each faction's specific skills and abilities. Leveraging your faction's strengths and countering your opponent's is a big part of the game's tactics.

I love this game. Battleground Fantasy Warfare is basically an excellent set of miniatures rules that happen to use cards to represent the units instead of minis. It's a deep game, with lots of flexibility and tough decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls