Hide
7 Posts

Near and Far» Forums » Rules

Subject: Still Unclear About Hearts and Threats rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dmitri Koudrin
msg tools
Read a few posts and still not fully sure about this situation (and whether it can break the game).

Situation:
I have 4 movement points, I start my turn at a camp (tent) and move to an empty spot (coin) with a threat in between. This triggers me to fight a threat.

So, using this, can I move back and forth over the threat 4 times in my turn (and say complete all 4 threats successfully)? And do I spend any hearts FOR MOVEMENT?

In our game we said you are not 'skipping' a space so didn't spend any hearts for moving in this situation, so I ended up hammering the threats and getting like 9+ points per turn, thus doubling the other player's scores in the end and easily getting all 14 tents out to quickly end the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would require 4 movement (as you said) but I believe also would also require 2 hearts:

1) You start on a tent so it takes no heart for the first movement.
2) You're moving onwards from a no-tent spot, so requires a heart for the second movement.
3) You're starting from a tent again so no hearts.
4) You're moving from a no tent spot so requires a heart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:
That would require 4 movement (as you said) but I believe also would also require 2 hearts:

1) You start on a tent so it takes no heart for the first movement.
2) You're moving onwards from a no-tent spot, so requires a heart for the second movement.
3) You're starting from a tent again so no hearts.
4) You're moving from a no tent spot so requires a heart.

Yes, this is correct. Ryan confirmed it in other posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitri Koudrin
msg tools
Okay thanks guys, so we played it almost correctly (and yeah I had more than enough hearts on my turns to pay that extra even though I didn't).

But do you not think this strategy is a bit of a game breaker? Especially if you can suck up the first 6 or 7 threats by yourself in 2 or 3 turns, while the others don't get any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being able to fight the 7th threat requires you to have a lot of fight (as in a lot of swords), which requires you to have focused your efforts on that rather than worrying about other things.

I do think ignoring fight and letting someone else get a lot of swords is a recipe for disaster, but hopefully once everyone realizes that fight is powerful then things will even out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keillor
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of our early plays had somebody do this 2 times per turn, but now we know the value of sealing them off by laying tents down. Only a game breaker if all the players allow it to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Mal: Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us? Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir! Mal: Ain't we just.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. While one player is bouncing around getting swords and threats, the other player or players are likely completing quests for bonus items, experience points, and heck, driving the story!

~Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.