8 Posts

Champions of Midgard: The Dark Mountains» Forums » General

Subject: Mercenaries overpowered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Young
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played with the expansion yesterday. It seems that adding these cards to the Land Journey deck, makes the land journey too easy?

There's already the Lone Warrior card, which allows you to hire a warrior. Being able to add 2 warriors for 2 coins seems a bit overpowered (especially the rarer shield warriors)

What are everyone's thoughts? Or are land journeys supposed to be "easy mode"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Segundo
Brazil
Belem
Para
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
keratin175 wrote:
Just played with the expansion yesterday. It seems that adding these cards to the Land Journey deck, makes the land journey too easy?

There's already the Lone Warrior card, which allows you to hire a warrior. Being able to add 2 warriors for 2 coins seems a bit overpowered (especially the rarer shield warriors)

I think it is ovetpowered too, as that land journey card "lose 1 coin or 2 dice". No one choices the 2 dice. It would be best if it was "lose 2 coins or 1 dice"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keratin175 wrote:

It is strong, and unexpected!

Usually really helps with the next game round, or at least with getting the tokens you need.

Overpowered, I dont know...
But it does seem like it should be a rune card and not a random journey card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BRAM DE RIDDER
msg tools
there are 2 land journey cards where you can lose a lot that's the blizzard.

Pay 1 coin for each committed warrior of lose them. (any warriors you cannot pay for go back to the supply)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir_Brandon wrote:
there are 2 land journey cards where you can lose a lot that's the blizzard.

Pay 1 coin for each committed warrior of lose them. (any warriors you cannot pay for go back to the supply)

yeah, those are terrible.

Easily the worst card you could encounter(land or sea)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Young
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That does sound painful but it didn't show up during our play.

I did a quick count of the land journey cards. There's 12 "bad" cards and 10 good (8x all quiet and 2x lone wanderer)

Adding the 2 mercenaries would make it so half the time you get something bad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mull
United States
Woodland Park
Colorado
flag msg tools
I generally like having promo cards but in my opinion the Mercenaries are too strong, so I don't use them. I believe the journey should be risky. The Lone Warrior already is a huge bonus by itself, adding the Mercenaries reduces the risk and the reward of two dice is too high. If I were to add the Mercenaries at all I would limit them to only one extra die, like the Lone Warrior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob1977 wrote:
I generally like having promo cards but in my opinion the Mercenaries are too strong, so I don't use them. I believe the journey should be risky. The Lone Warrior already is a huge bonus by itself, adding the Mercenaries reduces the risk and the reward of two dice is too high. If I were to add the Mercenaries at all I would limit them to only one extra die, like the Lone Warrior.

this makes sense.

there is a huge advantage in the mercenaries, it also huge to be able to pick your warriors and therefore pick your Valhalla tokens.

edit:
i haven't house-ruled it myself, but i see the reasoning. but there isn't a good way to do so without everyone be familiar with it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.