Subject: is it worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bruce ross
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I've read Kevin's videos and I'm still wondering if the solo system is really worth the additional $60? I'm going to purchase their North Africa module and I'm going to play strictly solo.

Is one better off saving $60 and playing both sides or is the solo book really worth it?

Like many other gamers, but budget is pretty tight these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Druelinger
United States
Joppa
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

If you are contemplating the solo system here is another video from another gamer who is doing a play by play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGCmR0q1eYU

Thank you
Sean Druelinger
LnL Publishing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After my first go, I would say it is not worth $60. LnL is one of my favorite wargames to solo. This expansion doesn't seem to add anything.

The giant flowcharts are unwieldly, and the orders do not seem to bring the feeling of playing against an intelligent opponent.

The Orders don't seem to give any sense of AI, just random orders.

The 11x17" charts are so big with giant letters, they could have easily been shrunk down to single pages with normal reading size fonts to make them easier to deal with.

This solo system is not very fun, and doesn't seem to add anything intelligent. I'm going to give it a few more attempts, but currently I think I wasted my money.

Redacted:

I must not have shuffled the cards good enough the first go or had just horrible luck. Second go applicable orders came up or went to applicable flowchart that didn't order drawing another non-applicable card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Druelinger
United States
Joppa
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Josh

I am sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with LnL Tactical Solo. We modeled and licensed the game mechanics from Academy Game's solo system and worked to adapt it to work with all scenarios within the LocknLoad Tactical series. We did work to get this in front of many players for testing and for their opinion. We listened to their feedback and overall everything we heard was positive. We would not have released it if we received majority negative feedback.

I appreciate your feedback and if you care to share any future plays with me I would like to hear your additional thoughts on how we can make this a better game. You can contact me on the forum or through my geek mail or my lnl email (seand@lnlpublishing.com)

thank you
Sean Druelinger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My second go with the AI everything changed. The AI through a few rounds acted appropriately and was fun battling against. It was a lot more logical and it did give good orders.

If this continues, I will definitely say it is worth it. Currently, I am happily optimistic.

I'll post later once I finish this battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Druelinger
United States
Joppa
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Josh

I am happy to hear that your second game went better. I look forward to any future AARs and/or feedback. (good or bad)
Thank you
Sean Druelinger
LnL Publishing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished the Opium Field battle, the session report is in the mod.

After that first bad luck on the cards, I am impressed. The AI did really well keeping it interesting and challenging.

Definitely a great step up from playing both sides. I'm looking forward to my next match. I say now, it is totally worth it.

For movement a lot of time you need to decide where the enemy goes, but it gives you good parameters at what the enemy wants to do. It also gives enough direct orders that the enemy can do stuff you don't expect. Which is where the fun is.

I had a great time. thumbsup

No more buyer's remorse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting your experiences with the solo system. I've followed it and based my decision, in part, to snag a copy based on your comments. Glad to hear your experience and opinion of the system has improved. I've got so much LnL:T material that it begs for a solo system in order for me to get more benefit out of what I have. Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll confirm that using LnLT Solo is a much better gaming experience (for me, at least) than playing both sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.