Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Rail Raiders Infinite» Forums » General

Subject: Despite KS problems, is this game good? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rodolfo velado
El Salvador
California
flag msg tools
mb
I want to get this game because I like the world,components, art, etc...
but Despite the KS problems That I look in some posts in other sites, Is this really a bad game? btw I think I'll get retail game.

thank you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fitomx wrote:
I want to get this game because I like the world,components, art, etc...
but Despite the KS problems That I look in some posts in other sites, Is this really a bad game? btw I think I'll get retail game.

thank you.


It's not a bad game, but I think the combat needs tweaked. I think the original plan of having a Joker instead of the 9 would have helped, even though that caused some issues with hand rank.

The problem we keep running into is that you aren't really strong enough to take on Sheriffs or Marshals without extreme luck until you get some gear. But you have trouble getting gear without being able to kill Sheriffs and Marshals.

Since the heroes are on par with lowly deputies in regards to combat, we're trying out one free reroll of up to 3 dice for heroes. This turns the 5-card stud combat into 5-card draw for the heroes.

It's a very light game that can be enjoyable and has a cool theme. I backed it because it looked like a good way to teach young kids the basics of adventure gaming (move/explore/combat of dungeon running).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Walker
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like the characters and world a lot. The game is extremely boring to me. It is so simple and obvious I'm really trying to come up with a way to remove the randomness of the game and the lack of choices. I could deal with some randomness if I had interesting choices. I could deal with reduced choice if there was not so much randomness. With both being so strong in this game...there isn't much to really like imo as an adult. It is simple enough that it works for playing with kids though so it may be a good way to get kids into gaming.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Aldrich
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a ks copy today. It is a great game when you are looking for an easy, light, quick game. I played for less than an hour and got three games in, trying new characters every game. Definitely not bored with it.

I liked the dice mechanic. It is random, but yet there is strategy. Skip cars and fights for better options. Use cards to give you rerolls, extra dice, or hurt your opponent.

I read alot of negativity about the game... and disagree with it. The game isn't 40k, wwx, massive darkness, or shadows of brimstone (lengthy games with more tactical depth). However, it's simple to learn or relearn in 5 minutes and have some (mostly) mindless fun (like games of mtg).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan F
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My bro-in-law recently snagged this game and I learned how to play it today. We got in two plays, one with two players, one with three players.

The game is intuitive and very easy to learn. It is light. It is quick to play. It has a strong comedic element (I loved being able to throw my opponent off the train). It was cool, fresh, and different.

Is it satisfying enough for me to want plan game nights around this game? Not at all. But as a game that can be pulled out a few times a year at family get-togethers and that can be played with kids, it's great. If you're looking for a deep strategic game with really high replayability, this isn't it. But not every game has to be that. This is still a great game.

I'm a lover of complicated deeply-strategic games and I had a lot of fun playing Rail Raiders. I haven't laughed that much playing a game in a long time. It was straight-up fun.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
455_PWR wrote:
I just got a ks copy today. It is a great game when you are looking for an easy, light, quick game. I played for less than an hour and got three games in, trying new characters every game. Definitely not bored with it.

I liked the dice mechanic. It is random, but yet there is strategy. Skip cars and fights for better options. Use cards to give you rerolls, extra dice, or hurt your opponent.

I read alot of negativity about the game... and disagree with it. The game isn't 40k, wwx, massive darkness, or shadows of brimstone (lengthy games with more tactical depth). However, it's simple to learn or relearn in 5 minutes and have some (mostly) mindless fun (like games of mtg).


Massive Darkness and SoB offer more tactical depth? Oh boy, how is that even possible? gulp
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaganishu Khan
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Magermilchmagier wrote:
455_PWR wrote:
I just got a ks copy today. It is a great game when you are looking for an easy, light, quick game. I played for less than an hour and got three games in, trying new characters every game. Definitely not bored with it.

I liked the dice mechanic. It is random, but yet there is strategy. Skip cars and fights for better options. Use cards to give you rerolls, extra dice, or hurt your opponent.

I read alot of negativity about the game... and disagree with it. The game isn't 40k, wwx, massive darkness, or shadows of brimstone (lengthy games with more tactical depth). However, it's simple to learn or relearn in 5 minutes and have some (mostly) mindless fun (like games of mtg).


Massive Darkness and SoB offer more tactical depth? Oh boy, how is that even possible? gulp


If the absence of buzz and discussion about this game does not convince you, wait until somebody puts up a gameplay video and you will see. Its really true.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Wilhelmi
Germany
Husum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eventually you'll have to play the game yourself and decide for yourself!

There is no one who can tell you what to like and what not to.

I, for example, hate Gloomhaven and especially Scythe, two very high rated games here on BGG. In my world both games such really hard, but it's my world alone.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No. This is barely even a game. The art and the mini's look cool but don't spend your hard earned money on this. I wouldn't recommend this at all.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lanham
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
ShotgunGames wrote:
No. This is barely even a game. The art and the mini's look cool but don't spend your hard earned money on this. I wouldn't recommend this at all.



Subjective opinions are like assholes..... everyone has one.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have my copy yet (waiting patiently in Canada), however, I could tell when the KS project launched, what sort of game this would be. It is a dice-chucker. Basically an excuse to play poker dice with a "take that" aspect added to it. It has nice minis and will look great on the table. A deep game it is not. I do not, however, always want to play a deep game. Sometimes a fun dice chucker fits the bill!

I think that one key to enjoying this game is making sure that at least one player knows the rules back to front. This game will be most enjoyable when it moves along quickly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sodapop have been criticized for making games where the artwork suggests that you could play it with kids, but the game rules are too complex for them. So they made this- and it is far simpler than Super Dungeon or Ninja All Stars.

It is really straightforward, super easy to learn and pretty random. It is also short, and that helps. But it does lack tactical depth, which is something I think they were going for.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoxe
msg tools
I've had worse.
badge
It's just a flesh wound.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We played through tonight, though we've had the box for awhile. Love the art and minis and inside jokes.

We were playing 2-player, basically coop, and when the end of the game came I was like, "That's it? We just tally $$?" I was totally hoping for a bonus round / epic threat / boss to try to take down for the big payoff at the end.

Anyway, yes. It's a light game. We can see it being easier to teach to a random group of nongamers than say, Zombicide BP (which my mom and dad actually enjoyed). It is NOT a "tactical mini strategy game." But I also think with some house rules it could be nudged towards something more complete.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I almost wanted to hate this after all of the problems getting it... yet I don't. I'm enjoying the simplicity. It's a quick, arcade-y miniatures game, and that certainly has potential to find the permanent place in my collection.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saiful Remy
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Abavus wrote:

We were playing 2-player, basically coop, and when the end of the game came I was like, "That's it? We just tally $$?" I was totally hoping for a bonus round / epic threat / boss to try to take down for the big payoff at the end.


This is how I felt after playing the game too... it felt too shallow... now, mind you, I love to play simple games and kids games with my niece and nephews but this game, I felt like, if you wanna make it a train heist, that make it WORTH it... like, at least let the winner win with TONS of money at the end of the game... the games I've played of it, so far, winners would win at $$9 or $$10 and it felt like... it should be more... with only that much of a payoff at the end, it just doesn't feel like I made a train heist...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A light and easy to learn game with lots of replay value...

This could be used as a family game and an introducion for 'non geekers' to rpg/dungeon slash like games
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.