Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giuliano Bartolucci
Italy
fano
Pesaro Urbino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank to user 4ntonio I realized I systematically do hunting in a wrong way, hunt,save/recharge,hunt again...but as he made me notice, the small icon green square-arrow-gold square, means you have to BANISH that green card (not just discard it). It gets harder and harder
Feel a little ashamed and a bit overwhelmed now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
giulibartolucci1204 wrote:
Thank to user 4ntonio I realized I systematically do hunting in a wrong way, hunt,save/recharge,hunt again...but as he made me notice, the small icon green square-arrow-gold square, means you have to BANISH that green card (not just discard it). It gets harder and harder
Feel a little ashamed and a bit overwhelmed now

I never misplayed that but reverted back to doing it your way because it's too overwhelming when playing RAW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuliano Bartolucci
Italy
fano
Pesaro Urbino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You give me hope ,Man (still we can do this way just with hunting cards since other cards are right to be banished in order not to let singular things happen twice, right?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh. We've been playing that wrong, too!

But so far there is only one spot we've hunted twice at. Now just need to remember not to hunt there again, or at the other spots we've already used.
I guess if we find it too hard, we'll continue playing the wrong way, too... We never save just to go hunting again, so I think that's alright. We only save if we have to because we need to pack up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remember that there are places where you CAN hunt more than once, because the gold card allows for hunting, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The trick is to do a very big hunt/fish once at a spot, then move on to the next spot. That means getting hunting and fishing items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyp Ganner
Belgium
flag msg tools
Luckily, I've read about it on the forums before we started playing, and so we played it correctly from the start.

It's not so overwhelming. What it means is that you need to move. You can't stay in the same place for too long.

I think many people missed it. It's nearly the same symbol that is used to replace the exploration cards with terrain cards, but the action actually is very different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Neuville

Wisconsin
msg tools
mb
I played some things wrong in my first full play through. Not sure I would want to play correctly. The banishing of the green card would suck plus I believe the correct rules state that when you hunt/fish you only pick one card from however many you draw.

I think that would make the game too difficult and less fun for me. I played in ways that made sense to me and let me enjoy the experience a lot. Had a bunch of close calls still. Suspense was there the whole time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hunting IS a pain. Fishing is better, especially when you have a lot of stars during the result step.
Even without banishing the green card I was on the verge of dying a couple of times in my last playthrough (2 curses).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CoffeeGeek1023 wrote:
...plus I believe the correct rules state that when you hunt/fish you only pick one card from however many you draw.

That equates to more successes giving you more choice over the final hunting result. Yes, you get to pick only one to keep, but that may mean that you get to choose between two result cards which don't provide anything at all and one card which gives you 3 food (i.e. 18 cards from your discard pile, assuming you cook the food).

CoffeeGeek1023 wrote:
I think that would make the game too difficult and less fun for me. I played in ways that made sense to me and let me enjoy the experience a lot. Had a bunch of close calls still. Suspense was there the whole time.

Here's an alternative you may want to consider: play the hunting/fishing as written, but start the game with some fraction (maybe half) of the Advanced Skills in your Action Deck. That reduces the need to hunt/fish so often, in particular early on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I never know if you are meant to discard the prey that you have got meat from or put it back??? I haven't been banishing the hunting cards I have been putting them in the past and using the gold one the next time, is this incorrect??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You banish the card you hunt from, return the cards you didn't select as prey (unless you're bloody, in which case you discard a non-predator card), and discard the card you've selected as your prey, whatever the result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonFly90 wrote:
I never know if you are meant to discard the prey that you have got meat from or put it back???

If i'm not mistaken, most hunting result cards say "return this", which means to put them back in the set of playable cards. Thus if you hunt repeatedly at the same area, you may end up getting at least one of the same cards on each attempt.

DragonFly90 wrote:
I haven't been banishing the hunting cards I have been putting them in the past and using the gold one the next time, is this incorrect??

If the hunting result part of the card has the "green-to-gold" icon then you banish that card and replace it with the gold one. The gold hunting/fishing areas always provide less success cards for the same number of successes (compared to their green counterparts), thereby "gently prompting" the players to move along, rather than stay camped out in one location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
DragonFly90 wrote:
I never know if you are meant to discard the prey that you have got meat from or put it back???

If i'm not mistaken, most hunting result cards say "return this", which means to put them back in the set of playable cards. Thus if you hunt repeatedly at the same area, you may end up getting at least one of the same cards on each attempt.

The actual prey card you keep has the hourglass symbol in the corner, making it a temporary event. As such it is discarded once resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
If the hunting result part of the card has the "green-to-gold" icon then you banish that card and replace it with the gold one. The gold hunting/fishing areas always provide less success cards for the same number of successes (compared to their green counterparts), thereby "gently prompting" the players to move along, rather than stay camped out in one location.
It should be noted, however, that some hunting locations will have more than one green card, and the gold card will have a "rest" action that tells you to return the gold card and put the remaining green card in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuting Yang
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I do have a related question regarding hunting. Say your inventory and hand are both full, and you hunt for food and get 5 meat cards, what happens? Can you just cook and eat all 5 meats at once or do you have to discard down your hand/inventory to make room to accommodate the food first? I am not really sure how to handle this part of the game.

Any clarification will be much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baimi wrote:

I do have a related question regarding hunting. Say your inventory and hand are both full, and you hunt for food and get 5 meat cards, what happens? Can you just cook and eat all 5 meats at once or do you have to discard down your hand/inventory to make room to accommodate the food first? I am not really sure how to handle this part of the game.

Any clarification will be much appreciated!

Food goes directly into your inventory, and then it's a separate action to consume it. Best make sure you have space in your inventory before hunting! Otherwise it'll just go to waste at the end of your current action, if you don't discard to make room. Remember you cannot discard part of a stack for this purpose - if you discard to make room, it has to be a whole stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, you must make space for it and discard (not return) any you don't want to keep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathis Lurtz
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the gold hunting grounds quite good.
It seems as if there are Bears in absolutely every hunting and fishing Deck (not absolutely sure here), and we always shoot for those. Just remember to have a ClubBola and a Lucky star handy to end it for sure and grab the 5 meat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.