Mike Garvey
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I get into this, I just to make it clear that I am a fan of Apocrypha, and enjoying it more each time I play it (well, up until tonight). However I've just had to walk away from the table, after stubbornly trying to work my way through my first NPE with the game.

I'd also like to think that I'm doing ok with the rules - I've read through them multiple times, watched the videos, and played it enough to get comfortable with the basics, as well as figure out weird quirks as they appear. I've also played plenty of PACG (both RotRL and S&S) so I'm familiar with the majority of the basic mechanics. So, I *think* I'm playing this correctly, but any advice would be appreciated. Otherwise, thanks in advance for indulging this vent (lol).

As my main gaming partner and I have already started with Frank and Diana in Candlepoint, I decided to try out the Skinwalkers chapter solo, controlling Gaby and Evangeline. They made it through Loop Garoux, so I decided to have them move on to West Side Story, taking on The Matadors gang.

The Structure setup for this mission reads: Withstand Sudan Wherever There's Trouble While Danger Remains.

Here's some of the rules from the structure, important to this story (again, working on the premise that I understand the general game rules correctly):

* Terminate effects kick in before Win/Lose effects do
* The clock for this mission is built from the threats and archetypes that would (usually) go into each Nexus.
* The Master has a Terminate clause (listed on 'Withstand'): if their deck contains any other cards, shuffle them into that deck (so, in this game, that would be the clock)
* 'While Danger Remains' also states when you confront a card from the clock, if it would go into a deck, it does so into the clock instead.

So, by my understanding, to win I have to clear the clock, and the only way to defeat the Master is if he's the only card left. (again, let me know if I've missed something).

So here's where the fun begins:
On a turn, I investigate the clock, and reveal Stash, a Mind 12/Body 12 Threat. If I win against it, it lets me draw a new gift of each virtue, keeping one and shuffling the other into my nexus. Neat! Gain a card and keep the location healthy against the rampaging were-bulls!

For whatever reason, I decide to use an Assist (can't recall which Saint was attempting but it's not important). I draw the Metamorphing mutation and roll 5, which reads: Exchange the threat with a new Skinwalker threat. Uh oh. Suddenly the Stash turns into Juffalo Soldiers, who require Rage 11 to beat, which I somehow do - and then I notice their Terminate step trigger:

If you did not roll any Mind or Soul dice, shuffle this threat into a random other nexus.

Rereading 'While Danger Remains', I figure the Juffalos get shuffled into the clock instead. Sure, no problem. Move along. (Again: let me know if this is wrong.)

The game continues on for a bit, and I'm doing quite well - the nexuses have only taken a bit of damage from the rampaging bulls, and I'm down to 2 cards left in the clock - yay!

Turns out those 2 remaining cards are the Master...and the Juffalos.

Face the Master: oh ok, I've beat him - yay! - but hmm there's still another card there, so, back he goes...

Face the Juffalos: oh ok, I've beat them - yay! - oh wait this terminate clause...hmm I've no way of adding Mind or Should dice to that confrontation, so..back...they..go...?!

So, from my understanding (which may be incorrect), unless I somehow roll an Mind or Soul die in my confrontation with the Juffalos, they'll keep getting shuffled back into the clock, meaning that I won't be able to get rid of the Master, because he's not the only card remaining.

I've checked both decks, and neither has a gift that will add M/S to the roll. [/Sad Trombone]

SO my question for you, dear reader (and thanks again for sticking with it this far) is: Have I missed or misinterpreted something, somehow shooting myself in the foot, OR, is this truly just a series of unfortunate events, leading to a bit of an NPE...?

Thanks for reading, and for any advice

M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Campbell
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
In the FAQ that Mike put up earlier, I recall reading a rule that says that if something in the clock says to shuffle something into a deck, it doesn't shuffle back into the clock, it has to go into a nexus, to prevent something like this happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Grammarian wrote:
In the FAQ that Mike put up earlier, I recall reading a rule that says that if something in the clock says to shuffle something into a deck, it doesn't shuffle back into the clock, it has to go into a nexus, to prevent something like this happening.

Yup. This is the entry:

In a While Danger Remains mission, is my first investigation free? What if a threat goes into a nexus that isn’t mine?
Your first investigation is free and mandatory. If a threat you confronted would go into your nexus, it goes into the clock instead. But if it would go into another nexus, sacrifice it. Otherwise, a threat like Lost Soul would be unkillable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.