Subject: 2P Game: The tale of two starts. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benson Propst
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I just finished up our first play of 18NEB. I have played NEB before, along with several other 18xx titles. My wife has played '46 a handful of times and '60 once.

The auction was uneventful.

I ended up with the Denver Pacific RR, Amour, and Central Pacific RR
My wife ended up with Morrison Bridge, Credit Mobilier, Union Pacific Prez. Even though there were a couple of contested bids, nearly all the privates were purchased at face value or $5-$10 above face value.

As a result, there was plenty of cash to start with.

My wife had priority and started Union Pacific, par 100
I started Colorado So., par 100
My wife started Burlington, par at 75
I started Denver, par at 75
My wife started Northwestern, par at 70
I bought a third share of Colorado instead of starting Missouri at 70. (I wanted to see what would happen if one player started with 3 certs (all president certs) and one player started with 3 certs (2 prez. and 1 regular)

Sarah spent most of her time investing in such a way that all 3 of her major companies would have enough money to keep buying the next set of trains.

Sarah's money lead seemed to snow ball quickly. By the 3rd over all stock round she nearly had double the money as me (and since she is a newb, I was wondering if she had stuck some of her money in the wrong pile).

Regardless, I spent most of the game trying to get her trains to rust so she would have to emergency fund for 2 of her 3 companies.
That plan never came to fruition, and by brown phase it was clear she was cruising to an easy victory. Instead, I saw her UP, on two occasions, run a full train roster, buy the next train of the next group, and rust my Colorado's trains (who ran right behind UP). In hindsight, I needed to sell the one UP share I had to move her stock price down so my Colorado could then run in front of her UP.

Final Assets and Holdings ended as follows:

Me: $1832, UP x1, Burlington x2, NW, x2, Colorado x6, Denver x7, Omaha x6, Nebko, x0; TOTAL 5307

Sarah: $2527, UP x7, Burlington, x7, NW, x7, Colorado x0, Denver x3, Omaha x4, Nebko x8; TOTAL 7162

Final Company Share Values were as follows:

UP - 200
Burlington - 110
NW - 110
Colorado - 180
Denver - 165
Omaha - 100
Nebko - 100

Final Train Rosters were as follows:

UP ended up with a 6/8
Burlington with a 4D
Northwestern with a 5/7, 4D

Colorado ended up with a 6/8
Denver ended with a 5/7, 4D

Omaha had a 3+3
NebKo had a 4+4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.