Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tristan's lead in to Update 2 inspired me to write about my little corner of Kilforth. All backers have one... tell us about yours?

I'm not a resident of Sprawl City... As a Legend backer from the first campaign, I have my own place in Kilforth.

I'm in a cozy, dimly lit corner of our Inn in the small hamlet of Kaylan's Rest, shooting dice with my mates while my son, the town's namesake, quietly tends the bar and keeps his eye on the shady trio sipping frothy concoctions near the door to the alley. It's our weekly get together, a chance to share a drink, tell tales of what the week brought each of us, and share news of the Gloom enveloping our land.

Our Inn has seen many people come and go, some claiming to be heroes on a quest to dispel the Gloom. Some we see again, but most we don't. All appear burdened by the immense challenge in front of them and are appreciative of the warm fire, stiff drink and soft bed that our small corner of the world offers. I don't know why they go forth to do what they do, but we're grateful there's good folks like them in this land.

The Gloom is out there...but for now, our spirits are high and the future looks a bit brighter. I hear of a successful campaign to recruit new heroes in Sprawl City. I'm happy that our place is here for them when they embark on their noble quests. I've ventured out there myself and seen what awaits them, and they'll need all the help they can get.

I raise my mug to them and Kaylan pours shots for the few patrons seated at the bar... here's to the heroes of Kilforth, both new and old!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Both_Sides_of My_Table
United Kingdom
Market Drayton
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So to take up @MAJBrown’s gauntlet...and bloody hell it’s a heavy thing, at no mistake...

My story is a little less grand.

Once I lived in, and working out of an illicit custom cheese dice sculpting factory, tucked away in a secluded, well known and highly frequented part of the Hidden Forest. My fellow sculptors and myself chiselled away at our small, perfectly formed cubes of hard cheese day and night, honing our craft so that every one of us could work blindfold, which was ironic really as we were all, in fact, blind folded. Our craft used only the highest quality living cheese, illegally bread in the Low Plains and imported under cover of...a dark cover, thrown over the back of a cart to keep the precious cargo from prying eyes. At first we thought the Gloom was just something that happened to other people...how little we knew...including, as it turns out, how to find our way back to the cheese sculpting factory in the Gloom. Now destitute, we lived off the land, and a diet of soil and twigs is no pick-nick, I can tell you, which is why we packed some sandwiches in light of such an eventuality. The coffee, too, was dire, tasting more like dirt, which is not surprising really as it was only ground in the morning....and this is where my story really starts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE this!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is a more straightforward existence than many, in the palace here in Sprawl City. It seems to many that all my time is spent running after, cleaning up, protecting from harm & just generally looking after two little princesses. It may seem a simpler task than many but I assure you, it is far from that.
Despite being somewhat sheltered, even here behind these walls we hear the rumours & sense the Gloom coming closer. It is now time for every good Kilforthian to do their part in stemming the tide & making it a safer place for all our princesses & princes whether they be of high blood or low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruthuz was an Orcish Rogue hailing from the rough-and-tumble docks of Kilforth. Life was tough, but work was easy to come by if you weren't worried about whether it was legal. Orphaned at a young age, Bruthuz didn't have the luxury of choosing his employers. One day, he earned an honest wage unloading cargo from a Trader's ship into a warehouse; the next day, he helped one of the city's gangs rob the warehouse he'd just stocked. People assumed Bruthuz was a dumb brute, but he always found a way to avoid getting nicked by the authorities.

Lately residents on the docks were enamored with the hooded associates of some nobleman. He provided generous rewards for relatively simply jobs, so the locals were all too eager to help; or at least they were until people started disappearing. Whispered rumors said all the jobs were for a series of rituals designed to unleash some dark power upon the world. Bruthuz didn't have much, but he wasn't going to let anyone mess up the good thing he had going. The nobleman had to die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[Includes a small shout-out to A Touch of Evil]

Lord Hanbrook was already a man of means when he arrived in the early days of the city's founding. Each generation of Hanbrooks built upon the family's wealth, and their compound grew until its spire was among the city's tallest. The tower had a formal name of course, but most residents called it the Roost on account of all the crows perched along its length.

The Hanbrooks were a private family, confining themselves to their property while they dispatched agents to conduct their business in the city and surrounding countryside. What nobody knew was that each head of the Hanbrook family was, in truth, the same person. Etienne the vampire had grown attached to his city. He considered himself its dark protector, and only fed upon visitors, undesirables, and his political rivals - the closest thing to "ethics" one could expect from an undying creature that fed on the living. On those rare occasions when the current Lord Hanbrook had to make a public appearance, Etienne used his magic along with practical make-up to conceal his identity.

Etienne's agents reported a dark presence lurking in the countryside, something ancient and evil which Etienne confirmed with his own magic. He sent his best people to deal with the threat and none of them returned. Etienne would have to deal with the problem himself if he hoped to save his city from this new foe, but first he would need a powerful magic artifact to even the odds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another origin story. They just write themselves.

Althea wasn't like the other dwarves of her clan. She prefered the open skies to the closed confines of a mine or a forge. She parlayed her abilities as a warrior to become a capable hunter and trapper. Unfortunately, one of Althea's hunts went poorly and she was gored by a wild pig. Delirious from blood loss, Althea stumbled upon a circle of druids and was stunned when they drew curved knives seeking to kill her. Althea slew half their number and drove the remainder off before she passed out.

When she awoke, Althea felt the soothing touch of a healer. Althea wasn't the druids' first victim, and the healer was tracking them to prevent further attacks. The healer said the druids were unlike any others she'd met before, the dark druids strove to summon an unnatural power from another dimension. Althea was grateful for the healer's assistance and pledged her sword arm to the cause. She journeyed for several weeks with the healer, breaking up midnight rituals and destroying the druid's unattended altars. The druid's trail led them to a well-guarded fortress. Althea would have to raise an army of her own if she hoped to put an end to their evil ways; and the city was the perfect place to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work guys - loving the creative muscles being flexed here, especially yours Neil! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A hovel? Hah, I wish I lived in a hovel. A hovel would be a distinct improvement. No, you can be honest, there's really no need to skirt around it. This is a squalid, fetid ruin, midst the foul vapours of the Wretched Bog. Or, "Home" as I call it.

Yes, I have seen better days. Very astute of you to notice. No, I cannot put a finger on the exact tipping point wherein my fortunes brought me to... this. I can say however that it is always a good policy not to share too openly your opinion on the sartorial merits (or lack thereof) of the Brimmer-Night gowns sported by the Priestesses of Ch'utt. They are remarkably hostile to honest criticism, and remarkably persistent in ensuring that their hostility is enacted to the fullest degree. Very vengeful for supposedly holy personages.

No, I no longer notice the stink. The blood-flies and claw-tooth leeches merely add to the ambience. Really, if you look at things from the right perspective, I'm no worse off the when I sat in a terraced gardens sipping iced sherbet and watching the Romo dancers cavort. I mean, cavorting is a very shallow and transitory pleasure. The fever from the blood-fly's sting is with you for weeks, the scar for a lifetime. And anyhow, they stop biting eventually.

You have to leave? So soon? That's a shame, I don't get a lot of visitors, and it's so long since I've had news of the living. I mean, news from the Sprawl and such. I'm not some kind of witless wraith. At least, I don't think I'm a wraith. It has been a long time since I spoke to anybody apart from Marsh sprites, and they are notoriously poor conversationalists. Now that I think about it, I have tended to spend a lot of time out and about at night, wailing at the moon. Maybe I am a wraith? Ah well, could be worse things. The hours are good and you're your own boss. I really need a decent crypt though, or a hovel. A hovel would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poetry that is, James. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
“*Cough* umm hello are we recording?”

“Good morning, I am the Maquis and I am here to talk to you about my corner of Kilforth, sorry pardon…my full name? is that really necessary? Oh well …err… its, well my full name is the Maquis of Pain, but I hasten to add that it is a family name and in no way should any judgement by the listener be made about me with regards to it.”

“So I am here to talk about my corner and well the Grand Plains is where you can currently find me although I am planning on branching out and visiting other areas of Kilforth soon provided the Gloom can spread around a little more.”

“I have been around for what seems like an eternity and seen a few things, and it would be fair to say I feel I have a solid understanding of what Kilfoth really needs…pardon, some examples?... yes well, for a start I’ve always considered that the basis for any long term stability is having a large standing army, obviously controlled by myself, which is paramount to establishing law and order and well-being for all….Ha!, just kidding had you for a second didn’t I?, no rather, the establishment of a right-by-might rule of Kilforth and all its inhabitants under an eternity of enduring agony is what I mean.”

“Obviously this army would be entirely comprised of slaves drawn from all corners of Kilforth unifying all races under one banner, mine, and further this army-model and its composition would reduce operating costs and any potential military coups that might arise”

“Clearly I acknowledge that this would be a drastic change for many Kilforthians but I earnestly believe that you will all come around to my way of thinking once we break out the branding irons and manacles and I think together we can build something truly tremendous that we can all be proud to be a part of.”

“Now you will have to excuse me as I am expecting a number of callers later today for what I expect to be some boisterous “exercise” and need to get ready. You can see yourself out? Yes? Good, please use the second door on the left marked “Slaves Quarters” you can’t miss it…”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jokeroz wrote:
“*Cough* umm hello are we recording?”

“Good morning, I am the Maquis and I am here to talk to you about my corner of Kilforth, sorry pardon…my full name? is that really necessary? Oh well …err… its, well my full name is the Maquis of Pain, but I hasten to add that it is a family name and in no way should any judgement by the listener be made about me with regards to it.”

“So I am here to talk about my corner and well the Grand Plains is where you can currently find me although I am planning on branching out and visiting other areas of Kilforth soon provided the Gloom can spread around a little more.”

“I have been around for what seems like an eternity and seen a few things, and it would be fair to say I feel I have a solid understanding of what Kilfoth really needs…pardon, some examples?... yes well, for a start I’ve always considered that the basis for any long term stability is having a large standing army, obviously controlled by myself, which is paramount to establishing law and order and well-being for all….Ha!, just kidding had you for a second didn’t I?, no rather, the establishment of a right-by-might rule of Kilforth and all its inhabitants under an eternity of enduring agony is what I mean.”

“Obviously this army would be entirely comprised of slaves drawn from all corners of Kilforth unifying all races under one banner, mine, and further this army-model and its composition would reduce operating costs and any potential military coups that might arise”

“Clearly I acknowledge that this would be a drastic change for many Kilforthians but I earnestly believe that you will all come around to my way of thinking once we break out the branding irons and manacles and I think together we can build something truly tremendous that we can all be proud to be a part of.”

“Now you will have to excuse me as I am expecting a number of callers later today for what I expect to be some boisterous “exercise” and need to get ready. You can see yourself out? Yes? Good, please use the second door on the left marked “Slaves Quarters” you can’t miss it…”

Brilliant! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.