Subject: Discs leaning on pegs or other discs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow, after about the first 5 or 10 shots of my first game ever, my disc came to rest with one side propped up on the top of one of the pegs. The side that was touching the board was within the 15 point area. After a not finding any rulings on this online after a quick google we decided that since the post sits on the 10 point line that the disc should be scored as a 10 point disc.

Does this sound correct? Also, in general when this happens - if a disc is leaning up on another disc, say - how should they be scored if they're near or straddling a point line? Top down view?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Top down all the way as they sit.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The line rule states that if your disc is actually touching the line it bumps down into the lower scoring bracket. So, if it's touching the line between 10 and 15, it counts as a 10. The discs are curved alone the outer edge, which means that the part of your disc which touches the playing surface is slightly inset from the outermost edge. Looking down from the top you may think your disc is touching a line, but looking at where it touches the surface it may not be.

So in your example if no part of the disc is touching a line, even if part of it is over a line suspended by another disc or a peg, it does not count as touching the line.

Someone correct me if my logic is faulty.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd...

See 6e (not sure about that "if" though because no other examples are given) and 8c.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
The first question would be if you care about the National Crokinole Association tournament rules or not. As far as I've experienced anyone not playing by tournament rules uses the top down view for judging where the disc is.

VolleyGame wrote:
The line rule states that if your disc is actually touching the line it bumps down into the lower scoring bracket. So, if it's touching the line between 10 and 15, it counts as a 10. The discs are curved alone the outer edge, which means that the part of your disc which touches the playing surface is slightly inset from the outermost edge. Looking down from the top you may think your disc is touching a line, but looking at where it touches the surface it may not be.

So in your example if no part of the disc is touching a line, even if part of it is over a line suspended by another disc or a peg, it does not count as touching the line.

See 6e (not sure about that "if" though because no other examples are given) and 8c.

6e clearly states that it only applies if the disc is lying flat on the board. In op's case the situation isn't covered in the written tournament rules at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilder
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
The first question would be if you care about the National Crokinole Association tournament rules or not. As far as I've experienced anyone not playing by tournament rules uses the top down view for judging where the disc is.

VolleyGame wrote:

6e clearly states that it only applies if the disc is lying flat on the board. In op's case the situation isn't covered in the written tournament rules at all.

My reading of those tournament rules are that you go based upon what it is touching, so you only score the part that is touching. That is also how I would play, since I think basing upon the top view is too dependent upon slight head movements.

But I think in general, you and your opponent just need to agree on the rules used, and if you play competitively you need to ask what rules are going to be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desmothenes wrote:

But I think in general, you and your opponent just need to agree on the rules used, and if you play competitively you need to ask what rules are going to be used.

Well, yes, that's what we did - but I assume that this has happened to others before me and that there is some agreed upon ruling especially considering the fact that there is tournament play for Crokinole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
desmothenes wrote:
cormor321 wrote:

VolleyGame wrote:

My reading of those tournament rules are that you go based upon what it is touching, so you only score the part that is touching. That is also how I would play, since I think basing upon the top view is too dependent upon slight head movements.

I would think if it meant that you score based on the part of the disc that was touch for a cocked disc the rule wouldn't start out "If a disc is lying flat on the board"

I don't play tournaments at all, but it seems like there is something missing from those rule. It also does cover how to deal with stacked discs which is a similar situation, but with no part of the disc touching the board so 6e couldn't be applied even if you ignore the "flat on the board" portion.

Possibly it's left open to make it easier for a judge to make a ruling as they see fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Davis
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played in a few tournaments (including the World Crokinole Championships), and I can attest to the fact that it is always best to ask a tournament organizer beforehand about which set of rules they abide by.

For what it's worth, the World Championship uses the National Crokinole Association rules. These stipulate that "a disc shall score the lowest value of any region of the board that it is touching." This means that they would score a disc leaning on a peg (part of the board) as a 10; the peg is considered "on the line", and your disc is touching it.

If a disc came to rest leaning on another puck (I can't say I've ever seen this unless the bottom disc is resting in the 20 hole), you score the region where the leaning disc is touching the board. And lastly, a disc laying completely flat on top of another disc scores identical to the bottom disc (even if the upper disc is hanging over a line).

I hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It very much does help! Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.