United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
I played this back in the eighties, when weird dice like that were for elfs and dragons! What's this nonsense about d10s in my WiF!?

Aw, kidding. But I am very curious as to how the d10 works in the game. Was it just to add increased granularity to the die rolls? Do you use the two d10s as a d%? I can barely remember how combat worked thirty years ago, but if someone with a bit of a historical perspective (and good memory) doesn't mind - I'd like to hear how the "new" dice have changed the game.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
WiF has used d10 since 1996! They're never used as percentage dice, though 2d10 are rolled for air-to-air combat and (optionally) for land combat.

The changes to WIF since WIF5 (the last edition to use d6) are pretty significant; I think the change in DICE is the least of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I last played in 1987!

What does that mean, dice are optional for land combat? Making dice optional... Makes my skin crawl! (I assume it's 2d10 that are optional, and not dice altogether)

A good friend of mine has just backed the kickstarter (that, not coincidentally ends in just a few hours) reprint, and I haven't been so excited to see a "new" game in ages!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fowler
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
using d10s instead of d6 is optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Fargofootball wrote:

But I didn't think the game came with d6s? Do they assume you have them around, and can use them instead of the d10s that come in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
Fargofootball wrote:

But I didn't think the game came with d6s? Do they assume you have them around, and can use them instead of the d10s that come in the game?

Steve was joking!

mattprice wrote:
I last played in 1987!

What does that mean, dice are optional for land combat? Making dice optional... Makes my skin crawl! (I assume it's 2d10 that are optional, and not dice altogether)

A good friend of mine has just backed the kickstarter (that, not coincidentally ends in just a few hours) reprint, and I haven't been so excited to see a "new" game in ages!

Land combat is 1d10. There is an optional rule/CRT for 2d10 land combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.