Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Up Front» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone have the Polish/Balkins/SS expansion kits they can send me as a pdf./text? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danni Lee
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
I cant find any of these on-line for any amount of love or money, so I would take it a personal kindness if some sympathetic soul could send them as a scan or a .pdf to me.
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Are those free fan expansions or commercial products someone is selling? Because if it's the former they should probably be linked here, but if it's the latter it's a violation of BGG policy to ask for scans.

I honestly don't know where these come from, someone should do a better job of publicizing them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They were originally published in Relative Range Magazine, which went out of business over a decade ago, perhaps two. When that occurred, the publishers and editors of Relative Range put up a website and offered them free for download to anyone who wanted them.

Now that old Relative Range website has long since folded (probably withered on the vine and was closed due to either inactivity or no one paid for the web hosting, or because of inactivity people no longer paid for the web hosting, and the site disappeared).

Following that, a couple of trolls decided to go into the "for profit" production of these. They took their old files and went to printers and voila, they have been sold on e-bay (and probably can still be found there).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jarvis
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cundiff wrote:
They were originally published in Relative Range Magazine, which went out of business over a decade ago, perhaps two. When that occurred, the publishers and editors of Relative Range put up a website and offered them free for download to anyone who wanted them.

Now that old Relative Range website has long since folded (probably withered on the vine and was closed due to either inactivity or no one paid for the web hosting, or because of inactivity people no longer paid for the web hosting, and the site disappeared).

Following that, a couple of trolls decided to go into the "for profit" production of these. They took their old files and went to printers and voila, they have been sold on e-bay (and probably can still be found there).

The ones I have were printed/sold as a VAIPA publication. Would those be from the originator or a copycat printing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That depends I guess. The original Vaipa was somehow entangled with Relative Range. The question is "is the Vaipa credited on your cards actually Vaipa, or was that simply printed upon them to make them look like they had permission from the original publishers or their agents". Just about anyone could easily print "copyright 1981 Avalon Hill" on something and who would know the difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jarvis
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cundiff wrote:
That depends I guess. The original Vaipa was somehow entangled with Relative Range. The question is "is the Vaipa credited on your cards actually Vaipa, or was that simply printed upon them to make them look like they had permission from the original publishers or their agents". Just about anyone could easily print "copyright 1981 Avalon Hill" on something and who would know the difference?

The materials sourced direct from Mike Sanches... Are they eligible to be uploaded/shared openly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was he the original author? I can't remember and I don't have easy access to my copies.

I'd say that if you had his permission, then you probably could. But you'd need his direct permission (assuming he is the author).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Evans
United States
stroudsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone could please find out that would be great. We need to keep these little gems alive for others to enjoy before they are completely extinct.

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Evans
United States
stroudsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if someone with the set could confirm something
On page 3 of the rules, it ends on rule #11 and on page 4 skips #12
Seems some wording is missing on my copy.
Would be greatly appreciated if someone could let me know what’s missing.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jarvis
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caric wrote:
I was wondering if someone with the set could confirm something
On page 3 of the rules, it ends on rule #11 and on page 4 skips #12
Seems some wording is missing on my copy.
Would be greatly appreciated if someone could let me know what’s missing.

Thank you!

Which rules are you referring too... one of the VAIPA modules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jarvis
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cundiff wrote:
Was he the original author? I can't remember and I don't have easy access to my copies.

I'd say that if you had his permission, then you probably could. But you'd need his direct permission (assuming he is the author).

Mike was the one behind VAIPA... but he has been MIA online for a few years now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Evans
United States
stroudsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes
It sounded like a few on this thread could confirm if their copy is missing the same info and if not confirm what it is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might contact Alan Emrich. He was the man behind the curtain at Relative Range. He might know how to contact Mike, though I know Alan is almost 20 years older than I, and I'm nearly 60, so the inevitable could have come into play here. Sadly there are going to be more and more instances of sudden disappearances and silence in the coming few years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jarvis
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caric wrote:
Yes
It sounded like a few on this thread could confirm if their copy is missing the same info and if not confirm what it is

But which specific VAIPA module? I have 5 of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Evans
United States
stroudsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry it’s issue #10 the fanatics
Thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jarvis
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
12. SS troops cannot reject any terrain - the only exceptions are clear and forbidden terrains. See#10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Evans
United States
stroudsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect! thanks so much Brian!
How does #11 finish? "Both when...."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jarvis
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caric wrote:
Perfect! thanks so much Brian!
How does #11 finish? "Both when...."

11. Opponents get +1 in each CC - Both when attacking or defending. Their enemies knew the SS often didn't take prisoners - a strong motivation to fight hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Evans
United States
stroudsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, thanks Brian for clearing that up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Evans
United States
stroudsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it looks like Mr. Sanches is posting his Vaipa Quarterly info free for all to enjoy in the file section. Very kind of him!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jarvis
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caric wrote:
So it looks like Mr. Sanches is posting his Vaipa Quarterly info free for all to enjoy in the file section. Very kind of him!

Anyone know how to clean up the dot-matrix look of the image/text?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bimmer4me wrote:
caric wrote:

OCR?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jarvis
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
bimmer4me wrote:
caric wrote:

OCR?

I guess I mean on the cards themselves. I have originals of these from a few years ago but to be honest they look like they were printed on a dot-matrix Apple printer. I would like to laser print them with an OEM/look quality (for my own use obviously).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Evans
United States
stroudsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been converting what I have to the custom new card format. I did the Waffen SS and was going to start on the Polish if that is released.

Looking at them in Photoshop, it looks like they may not have been uploaded in the original higher res format used. I upped the res to 300dpi and sized it to 8.5X11" as well as sharpened it and it seems better.
Please let me know what size one personnel card or a sheet of them are and I'll change it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tmntpidua67m3ly/BritCharBack02.pdf...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jarvis
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caric wrote:
I've been converting what I have to the custom new card format. I did the Waffen SS and was going to start on the Polish if that is released.

Looking at them in Photoshop, it looks like they may not have been uploaded in the original higher res format used. I upped the res to 300dpi and sized it to 8.5X11" as well as sharpened it and it seems better.
Please let me know what size one personnel card or a sheet of them are and I'll change it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tmntpidua67m3ly/BritCharBack02.pdf...

My copy of an original unpunched Banzai has cards measuring as follows:
AFVs measure 57mm x 79mm (2&3/8" x 3")
PCs measure 51mm x 62mm (2" x 2&5/8")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.