J Re
msg tools
So, I've been watching let's plays, and notice a lot of people playing this way, and I'm hoping it's correct as I may have misinterpreted the rule book.

If you defeat a henchman at a location, you cannot close it if there are monsters still inside, but you do have to banish all boons, correct? I see let's plays where people seem to skip this whole thing, and just banish everything at the location.

Thanks for clarification and help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you defeat a henchman, you can close a location, which means discarding all cards. The only exception to this is if the Villain has ended up in the same location, In this case, ALL cards with the exception of the Villain are discarded, leaving only the villain in the location's deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Re
msg tools
Gumps wrote:
When you defeat a henchman, you can close a location, which means discarding all cards. The only exception to this is if the Villain has ended up in the same location, In this case, ALL cards with the exception of the Villain are discarded, leaving only the villain in the location's deck.

Thank you. After re-reading the rules, I read Villains as anything bad. I'll eventually get the hang of this game ha ha. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK -- just to be extra clear:

1. When you encounter a henchman that you drew from a location deck, and you defeat that henchman, then you MIGHT then be able to attempt to close the location. The henchman should say whether or not you can. Some don't allow a close attempt. (Also, in Wrath of the Righteous there are actually henchman that just automatically close the location when defeated.)

2. Note, when you defeat a henchman that you did not draw from a location deck (instead, you summoned him or her), you NEVER get a chance to close the location.

3. If you succeed at closing the location (by fulfilling the When Closing requirement), then you search the location deck for villains.

4. If you find any villains, you banish all the cards from the location except the villains, and the location stays open.

5. Otherwise, if you don't find any villains, then you banish all the cards from the location, and close the location. Then you execute the "When Permanently Closed" power.

6. Note if you fail a close attempt you gained by defeating a henchman, you cannot attempt to permanently close the location until the location has no cards. When the location has no cards, you can make one attempt each turn (after your explore step, just before you end your turn) to close the location.

EDIT: Revised #1 based on Hawkmoon's correction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elcoderdude wrote:
Maybe in Runelords the default is you always can; I don't recall.

It is not the default in Rise of the Runelords. For example, the henchmen in Here Comes the Flood (those snake things) don't have the text to allow you to attempt to close the location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.