7 Posts

Myth» Forums » General

Subject: quests not balanced for 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mevio Signore Delle Fiamme
msg tools
mbmb
So I was playing "for glory and honor" with Warrior and brigand on a 6x6. Lair and general misfortune apart i find it pretty much impossible. Lets say marcus kills 4 minions every hc, the quest says that "2 monsters appear at each tile edge"(so even after the lair is killed) which means 8 monsters per turn which leaves 2 monsters to be killed by each hero every hc just to get even. What am I doing wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
growill wrote:
So I was playing "for glory and honor" with Warrior and brigand on a 6x6. Lair and general misfortune apart i find it pretty much impossible. Lets say marcus kills 4 minions every hc, the quest says that "2 monsters appear at each tile edge"(so even after the lair is killed) which means 8 monsters per turn which leaves 2 monsters to be killed by each hero every hc just to get even. What am I doing wrong?

Nothing. The game is really not balanced for different numbers of characters. But since YOU are setting the challenge, you can usually modify the tile population to take this into account. Also some characters do better than others for damage dealing. I suggest the Acolyte and the Soldier if you want to try 2. But use 4 if you can or reduce the tile population and some quests will still be really hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly. For me it's a matter of strategy a lot of the times. I would reply with the mindset of how Can I beat this. I was gonna see if I could beat it with those 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll admit my sample size is likely much smaller than most, but in all the sessions I played (all stand alone quests), the only times we experienced success with two players (using two characters) was with the Acolyte and the Warrior - and we were setting things up on the easy side to try and just learn how to really play our characters.

I'm sure there are others that learned tricks or working strategies for different two-character combos, but for fighting Grubbers, Skeletons and Crawlers our Solider/Acolyte team was never equaled.

But sure, it could have also been the random missions we picked as well. So many variables it's hard to say, but my general thoughts are that the game is likely balanced (or at least designed for) a 4-character team. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this with those 2 heroes.

Played with the tribal lair.

I did not start with an initial spawn but with 8 grubbers 2 on each tile edge.

Took the lair out in the second round although I could not stop the lair from spawning once. Drew the minions attack twice card. Also I had Marcus in the absolute worse spot and even with his +1 defense surrounded with 7 attacks 2 times he got knocked down to 4 life.

My heroes had 1 round where the brigand hit and killed 1 and the soldier whiffed trying to kill 3. The miss kicked the darkness off and Marcus went down to 2. Next round the heroes both had crap cards, more spawn on the edge... and Marcus is at 1.

I now got him in the corner with the brigand protecting his flank. The soldier is stuck behind a sea of orc. draw a beautiful hand for both heroes darkness is at 3,
Refresh phase
Darkness at 4
Marcus kills a couple
Quest results ... oops I have all 25 grubbers out so I can't spawn the last 2, up goes the darkness
Only 2 on Marcus but his armor is at -2. Roll a 1 and an 8. Marcus is done.

I play the next hand an the brigand kills 4 and the soldier killed 3 with a 3 rage reaction Blade Dance. That's about the best they can do so without Marcus it's hopeless.

If I was to play this again with 2 I wouldn't spawn on the start edge. Spawning every refresh phase is absolutely brutal ... but fun. I think a 6 spawn is beatable the 8 spawn 2 player is maybe only beatable with like the swashbuckler and acolyte.

Thanks for the post ... it was fun trying the scenario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mevio Signore Delle Fiamme
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for all the feedback I was afraid I was misunderstanding something but as I thought its just a question of balance. Maybe doing like "2minons appear per player" could work. At least now i know that if i draw quests that sound too hard for 2 players they probably are and i'll tone them down a bit.
It really was a fun scenario though, even getting defeated trying to take the camp back full kamikaze was good enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys.
I am having similar problems with two characters and I'm using acolyte and brigand.
I instinctively try and set thing up as hard as poss for my self in the same manner I I do on computer games. (Always on hard or higher )to get the best bang for my buck.
In theory the game should scale well as every time the darkness hits 6 ap the critters get a turn regardless of the number of player.
I think it hinges more on how you decide to set up the tile.
I would have been happier if tile setup was written in stone and playtested more.
They could have done this and still had the sandbox make your own adventure mode.
I think its just a little lazy.
The only time I have come close is taking the nests out.
That is the main priority.
I quickly run out of figures also.
I feel that what is in the box should allow you to play the provided scenarios.
Since the entry price is pretty high.
I think reducing the amount of critters spawning from nests is the answer for less players.

I do like the system though and I'm sure there are many combination that heroes collaborating could employ.
Maybe I need to pay a little more also

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.