Subject: Best card dueling game DIFFERENT than MTG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the best PvP/CCG/LCG/TCG card game that is MOST DISSIMILAR to MTG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
no law on ceres.... just cops.
badge
i keep warning you. doors and corners, kid. that's where they get you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Android: Netrunner has almost nothing in common with Magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Most dissimilar in that it improves upon all the "problems" of MTG:
Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:

Except for the original designer.

This is the better of the 2 games. Why was MTG so popular then and NR didn't work?

Because NR was fun. And MTG was only fun if you bought more cards. Guess which game was promoted by the game stores?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:

This is the better of the 2 games. Why was MTG so popular then and NR didn't work?

Because NR was fun. And MTG was only fun if you bought more cards. Guess which game was promoted by the game stores?

I am not disagreeing with you (I really have no idea), but I wonder if the lower barrier to entry (read: complexity level) of Magic worked in its favor as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Little Pony - Work together with friends to overcome problems
(Also cause trouble for your opponent, steal their ponies & sacrifice them)

If you don't mind some dead ones-
LOTR TCG- any of the first 9 or so sets
The Nightmare Before Christmas TCG - in the US dacardworld has booster boxes ridiculously cheap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor McAusland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pixel Tactics: excellent tactical strategy game that doesn't require mana to summon your minions.

If you are interested in managing a resource (ie mana/currency) in addition to your cards, seek out Star Realms or Hero Realms.

If you need it to be a magical duel check out Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn. Dice are used for your mana pool instead of taking up cards in a deck.

But my number one game of all time, which precludes any reason I would have to play MtG, is Mage Wars Arena. There are certainly many games that are more dissimilar than MW, but MW is what I think a magic duel should feel like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
Tompy wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:

I am not disagreeing with you (I really have no idea), but I wonder if the lower barrier to entry (read: complexity level) of Magic worked in its favor as well?

Netrunner has a much deeper meta game, and I can see people struggling with it. Magic was a perfect storm for the player and store. These days I can't process trying to deal with a 60 card deck and the randomness from deck draw which comes from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
dizzybit wrote:
Pixel Tactics: excellent tactical strategy game that doesn't require mana to summon your minions.

+1 to this. Pixel Tactics is great, and nothing like MTG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
This one might be old and out of fasshion, but I really liked the original Warhammer 40,000 Collectible Card Game by Sabretooth games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Ashes, very diverse decks even before you try to customize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Frick
United States
Cedar Rapids
IA
flag msg tools
Summoner Wars: Master Set it is amazing blend of card game and tactical placement. Very good game and the master set has a ridiculous amount of replay-ability in it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Allegiance: A Realm Divided

Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn

Crystal Clans

Mage Wars Arena

Omen: A Reign of War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon Legends
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Newberry
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
vs system, not new pvp vs, but old vs system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend B
Battlecon.

Don't let the art or theme of being like a video game deter you. Each fighter is about 13 cards with some possible extra cards or tokens.

The game has all open information and so little randomness. Each fighter is like a different "deck". There are around 80 different fighters and they all play completely different. The extra cards and tokens lets each fighter be really unique.

It's brilliant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Sonnenberg
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a relatively new one that is quite good called Lightseekers.

The designers have even said they tried to make sure it wasn't like MtG (especially avoiding overly complicated game states and deadlocks)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mb
I'll put in another plug for the Mage Wars family. Mage Wars Academy is great and shorter play than Mage Wars Arena. Other than being a mage/wizard that's putting creatures on the battle field, the similarities stop there. Yes you have mana, but it's not controlled by luck of the draw. You have a set amount of mana that you accumulate each round that is added to your available mana pool. You'll never get flooded or screwed. Each mage casts only two spells each round and you can pick which spells you want to cast from your spell book. Combat is more akin to Risk and Star Wars X-Wing where you roll dice to determine damage. There are no death blow card combos to worry about. The only downside is that you need someone else who is willing to invest the time to learn the deck and cards.

Strife: Shadows & Steam This is probably one of the best perfect information games on the market. Each round you and your opponent will play only one champion to battle over a location. The trick is that you'll combo off an ability from the champion you played on the previous location. Sometimes you'll have to decide which battles are worth losing in order to win the war.

Schotten Totten/Battle Line This will scratch that PvP itch and will the most unlike MtG. You're essentially playing 3 card poker to claim territories. You will play this game in complete silence as you're constantly trying to keep track of what cards have been played so you can calculate your chance of victory.

Crystal Clans I'm really looking forward to the release of this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Long
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It didn't work for me, but many people love BattleCON: Devastation of Indines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm enamoured with Gruff. It's PVP, and it fixes some of M:tG's problems rather intelligently, but it's also very different:

- You won't spawn massive armies. You only have 3 creatures. And you cannot have less.
- You build your deck according to the creatures you've chosen.
- You have an avatar. And he has a unique power.
- There are only 3 card types in your deck.

But:
- It has a mana system, called Weird and Crazy.
- You use your crits to slaughter the opponent.
- It can be played Burn, Aggro, Mid-tempo, Control, and Combo.

Also, it's completely silly but rewards the best player entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
Allegiance: A Realm Divided is the best card fighting game, IMO. You draft cards into your hand from 3 common decks. Your avatar is a champion with unique powers. Allegiance is made all the more better by the fact that it is not collectable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Android: Netrunner

Tompy wrote:
Because NR was fun. And MTG was only fun if you bought more cards.

While I agree that Android: Netrunner is a great game (albeit one with a much steeper learning curve), I don't think that this is a fair assessment of Magic: The Gathering. While I understand many players really enjoy getting into the collectability aspect and staying competitive in organized play, I and my friends have enjoyed this game immensely just casually playing a handful of preconstructed Duel Decks and our constructed Commander decks against each other for years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashes really isn't that different from MTG. Sure, there is dice, but a mage summoning creatures and using spells is Magic in a nutshell. Netrunner is far more different. Different enough from Magic would also include L5R. My friends and I played it and then never played Magic outside of seeing if we remembered how to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomtown: Reloaded is an area control game where good play generally only involves occasional PvP conflict. It's also designed to play 4 out of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skrell wrote:
What is the best PvP/CCG/LCG/TCG card game that is MOST DISSIMILAR to MTG?
What do you mean by "best?"

Pete (wonders what you want the game to do)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.