Adrienne
United States
SAN JOSE
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fierce Fish Win the Cup
mbmbmbmbmb
I am throwing around some ideas for an online business.

If you are shopping for a game or gaming items online, what is most important to you when considering who to shop with? If you could support a fellow geek, would you do that over shopping with Amazon?

Price? Shipping speed? Free shipping? Small business? Local?

Thank you for taking the time to respond. :)

Adrienne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
If I'm shopping online I care about price (including the shipping) and getting what I ordered and getting the problem fixed when it isn't. That's it. If I'm supporting a small business or thinking about shopping local for something, I'm not looking online I'm going to the store in person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want it well-packed. I'm willing to pay a little more than Amazon if I know it will be in pristine condition and packed correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
Concur with indigopotter. I want reliability: to receive the things I order in perfect shape. Vendors that indulge in poor packing, unreliable stocking, or sending me damaged merchandise demonstrate they don't want my business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
see the thread pinned on this forum...

So You Want to Start a Game Store? Recommended Resources and Advice

and good luck, with the anti-online game publishers these days I would consider it the worse time to open yet another online game store
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Price.
Price.
Probably price.
And . . . maybe price too.

Customer service. You're putting a game in a box for me. If you're not screwing that up, there's not much I need to pay more for.

Shipping is included in the price one way or the other. You're competing with customer holds at CSI and MM with free shipping and me borrowing my friend's prime for amazon deals and ebay offering 20 percent off coupons every month or so.

Speed: I don't care. If I need something quick it's amazon or local. If I'm just buying extra hobby crap, I only care about the price.

I wouldn't buy games from someone just because they were nice or local and offering no other service. I'd invite them over to my house to hang out and play games if they are nice and local . . .

I suspect price is the second most common motivator with ease of access being the first, but good luck being more noticed than amazon etc.

I've never shied away from trying a new game store if they offer a good deal. But I've also probably spent like 10k+ on amazon/ebay/csi/mm combined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lesher
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with some of the other comments mentioned. If I'm shopping on-line, it's all about price (including shipping). I generally look for wish list items to make sure that when I place orders I hit the magic threshold for free shipping.

Secondary to this are reliability and care in packing/shipping. I will pay more to go elsewhere if my orders take too long to get to me (especially if there has been no communication as to the delay) or arrive damaged.

I'm all for supporting local, small businesses, but this usually excludes on-line purchases. I will gladly support a small business on-line, even if I have to pay more and/or pay for shipping, if they have a superior product, are careful with packing and shipping, and get it to me in a reasonable time. If it is a small business selling the same product as other guys, it will probably come down to price and reliability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A H
msg tools
Fierce_FishSJS wrote:
I am throwing around some ideas for an online business.

If you are shopping for a game or gaming items online, what is most important to you when considering who to shop with? If you could support a fellow geek, would you do that over shopping with Amazon?

Price? Shipping speed? Free shipping? Small business? Local?

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Adrienne

Most people who shop online first look for places they can trust, and then look at lowest price.

If you are just starting out you won't be able to achieve either one of those. Without a niche, you are dead in the water.

Keeping it real.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Spears
United States
Athens
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Niche may be the key here.

I've been a long time CSI/MM fanboy for price, customer support/business reputation, and parcels have arrived in good enough condition for me.

The few times I don't order from them has been for items they don't carry or may not have in stock (Hasslefree minis is a good example - hard to find a US in-stock retailer).

The best question I can think for you to ask is "why should anyone buy from your online store vs ________?" and be realistic about your answer(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrienne
United States
SAN JOSE
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fierce Fish Win the Cup
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the responses so far, some of them have been helpful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rasslor wrote:
The best question I can think for you to ask is "why should anyone buy from your online store vs ________?" and be realistic about your answer(s).

I used CSI, MM, Cardhaus, and Amazon. To be fair, that's going to be rather difficult to break through. I'll look at other places really only for items I can't find with the previously listed and that's not a business model to build around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Petersen
msg tools
mbmbmb
The biggest busienss obstacle will be shipping costs. You should do a lot of research on that for sure to seek options on keeping costs down. With shipping you don’t get a lot of discounts until you hit certain volumes.
Find something different that the others do not offer now. For example, a club membership card to get extra discounts with VIP treatment like follow ups asking how did they loke thr game they just purchase basically the personal touch the bigger companies realistically have a hard time doing, offer personal recommendations for games based on purchases. Have a skipe line offering customer service and help etc so on. But in all offer something the others don’t to clearly set yourself apart. Because online the competitor is just a screen tab away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.