16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Essential/Introductory mid heavy to heavy games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Walden
msg tools
mb
I'm newer to the hobby but I want some stuff on my wishlist that isn't just a bunch of simple games anyone can play. I haven't played anything that fits this type myself so I will look into any suggestions. Probably going to sound weak but the heaviest game I've played is probably Pandemic...

Number of players doesn't matter.

Game length I'm hoping for something longer, but not something crazy that is a legacy type or game that continues on from last time. I want it to be done for the next time I play. Max of like 4 hours or so.

Budget is anything. Cheap, expensive, I don't care.

Themes I don't like are war(like WW2 type war) and space sci-fi(battlestar galactica, Star Trek, Star Wars, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Herrera
Mexico
Villahermosa
Tabasco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi Greg, you should try:

-The Voyages of Marco Polo
-Pax Porfiriana
-Agricola
-Lisboa
-Trajan

All of them are excellent games and need some effort to understand and make strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Terra Mystica...I love you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If cooperative games are your thing, let me suggest that Spirit Island might fit your desire for mid-heavy. The general consensus seems to be that it's about as complex as Agricola, with most of that emergent complexity, and the difficulty can be tuned via lots of different knobs and levers.

There are even a couple PBF games running right now if you want to check them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Some classics in the mid-heavy category are:

Agricola
Caylus
Puerto Rico
Terra Mystica

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Walden
msg tools
mb
Thanks so far.

I probably should have put some games I was considering to better help you guys. I've been looking into Eldritch Horror, Mechs vs Minions, Time Stories, Scythe, and Mage Knight. I'm thinking like RPG, Adventure, co-op, and whatever category Eldritch and a few of these other games fit.

Sorry for not being clear. I'm just seeing the suggestions and I think they're going the wrong way for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are on the right track with those games you are already looking at and should read about them and pick one or more.

You probably don't want scythe. It's dressed up like a cool steampunk adventure action game, but it's a euro game. It's great! But if you're looking for more ameritrashy, go with one of the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Walden
msg tools
mb
scifiantihero wrote:
I think you are on the right track with those games you are already looking at and should read about them and pick one or more.

You probably don't want scythe. It's dressed up like a cool steampunk adventure action game, but it's a euro game. It's great! But if you're looking for more ameritrashy, go with one of the others.

I'm not even sure what I would play it on. What a huge game! I'm pretty sure I want Mechs vs Minions. I still need to look into the other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Simon
Germany
flag msg tools
You could try Concordia: Medium weight, but extremely slim and easy rules. And so much depth...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom B.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Have a look at Robinson Crusoe: strong theme, coop or solo, great replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of these may suit you and are a decent leap forward in weight compared to something like Pandemic. (I'd advise at the moment that you probably want "medium" rather than "medium heavy" games. You can always up it again if you enjoy the medium games, but there's no point in trying to jump forward quite so drastically. I'm basing that on the fact it sounds like you'll be learning the rules yourself rather than having someone teach you).

Merchants & Marauders

Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery

Fury of Dracula (third/fourth edition)

Runebound (Third Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
Where does Viticulture fall?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
Where does Viticulture fall?

In the "far too Euro for what the OP is looking for" category I suspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Mage Knight is heavy, Ameritrashy perfection.

Check out Ricky Royal's playthroughs if you want an idea how it plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
Darby_ wrote:
Mage Knight is heavy, Ameritrashy perfection.

Check out Ricky Royal's playthroughs if you want an idea how it plays.

Often I prefer a good Ameri-game over Eurotrash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Walden
msg tools
mb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Any of these may suit you and are a decent leap forward in weight compared to something like Pandemic. (I'd advise at the moment that you probably want "medium" rather than "medium heavy" games. You can always up it again if you enjoy the medium games, but there's no point in trying to jump forward quite so drastically. I'm basing that on the fact it sounds like you'll be learning the rules yourself rather than having someone teach you).

Merchants & Marauders

Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery

Fury of Dracula (third/fourth edition)

Runebound (Third Edition)

Definitely in the right direction and I'm looking into these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.