Subject: The Dice Tower -- a biweekly podcast rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Perrault

Greendale
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
Come on come on come on come on TOUCH ME BABE can't you see that I am not afraid
mbmbmb
I have very much enjoyed Tom and Eric bantering away about games and was a little shocked to hear a different podcast right after their intro. Why it had all the trappings of the podcast I have known and enjoyed but like a cheap pair of glasses with a plastic nose and stash it was somehow different. Deceptively, subtly different.

Frankly, I'm not really into spin offs. Reminds me of Joanie Loves Chachi. I guess with TV they at least give it a new title. Well this is more like the reverse. Same title with all new actors. You sit down to watch it and immediately hit the guide button to see what the %^#$&* is going on. Ya that is the right channel and time.

Like a scoop of butter that looks surprisingly like ice cream till that first mouthful. Like a kickstarter game with a bbg rating of 9.5 but the 7 guys who voted are all from the same city. Like an expectantly soft fart that comes out with a thunderous boom. I am surprised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a description!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Rouser
United States
Johnstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't like it, that's fine. But can we at least keep this subject relegated to the threads already discussing it? Especially a month after Mandi and Suzanne began as main show hosts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danperrault wrote:
I have very much enjoyed Tom and Eric bantering away about games and was a little shocked to hear a different podcast right after their intro. Why it had all the trappings of the podcast I have known and enjoyed but like a cheap pair of glasses with a plastic nose and stash it was somehow different. Deceptively, subtly different.

Frankly, I'm not really into spin offs. Reminds me of Joanie Loves Chachi. I guess with TV they at least give it a new title. Well this is more like the reverse. Same title with all new actors. You sit down to watch it and immediately hit the guide button to see what the %^#$&* is going on. Ya that is the right channel and time.

Like a scoop of butter that looks surprisingly like ice cream till that first mouthful. Like a kickstarter game with a bbg rating of 9.5 but the 7 guys who voted are all from the same city. Like an expectantly soft fart that comes out with a thunderous boom. I am surprised.

You are either

a)unnecessarily angry about this or
b)trying to be funny, but coming across as rude and needlessly dismissive towards the hosts

In either case, are you here just to vent, or were you perhaps hoping this post would serve some sort of higher function?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shader10 wrote:
danperrault wrote:

You are either

a)unnecessarily angry about this or
b)trying to be funny, but coming across as rude and needlessly dismissive towards the hosts

In either case, are you here just to vent, or were you perhaps hoping this post would serve some sort of higher function?
It's possible he doesn't follow the forums very closely and doesn't know that this has already been discussed to death.

Pete (speculates but knows nothing for sure)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoy!

Dice Tower Changes
Hi, could the Suzanne & Mandy episode's be flagged as such?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is it with all these change-averse men who apparently need a "trigger warning: contains the voices of women who aren't your Mum" on podcasts all of a sudden?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JadedGamer wrote:
What is it with all these change-averse men who apparently need a "trigger warning: contains the voices of women who aren't your Mum" on podcasts all of a sudden?

You're being very presumptive. You assume they are change averse and the issue is female voices.

I'm not a fan of the change. Not because of female voices, I couldn't care less, I don't like to listen to new podcasts because the hosts usually aren't very good and its poor quality podcasting. This is true of 99.9% of new podcasts and this one isn't any different. I'm sure Mandi and Suzanne will grow to be much better than they are now and I very well may enjoy the podcast then. But for now it's painful to listen to.

Part of the problem here is anytime anyone says anything against this new format people immediately jump on the conclusion that whomever is stating their opinion is just upset that it's women.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danlicata wrote:

Part of the problem here is anytime anyone says anything against this new format people immediately jump on the conclusion that whomever is stating their opinion is just upset that it's women.

I would have no issue with objections and valid criticism, but most of the posts related to this "issue" and "sudden change" are too entitled and talk like they owned the podcast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, now, there are some who would not object to eating a nice scoop of butter, especially if it's this stuff:

(P.S. I don't follow the podcasts much at all, so have not paid attention, except that I've always appreciated Eric's "radio voice").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it a lot. Plus it will allow the Tom and Eric version to be more fresh because they aren't trying to create weekly content.

I feel everyone's frustration with the "you don't like it because it's women " thing. Just enjoy the content you like and ignore those that just want to quarrel all the time. You won't appease them no matter what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby B
msg tools
For what it's worth, my two cents.

I love the DT. It dictates a large proportion of my board game purchases. Although I know that is not their concern or intention, but nonetheless, their reviews impact upon me in that way.

Now. I don't enjoy the Mandy and Suzanne show so far. Nothing to do with gender. But everything to do with my preferences of content and delivery. I don't particularly enjoy listening to Jason either, again nothing to do with gender, but my preference.

I love listening to Eric, Tom and guests. Fundamentally because it is the format, the type of humour and frustration that I like (Tom's in particular) content, and something that I trust and have faith in for my hobby.

The change of presenters is obviously at the discretion of TV. And he clearly believes it to be a good choice, which it may well be. I don't see their numbers associated with listeners and don't care to, but regardless it's his decision. Having said that, he also takes responsibility for some listeners now not listening to half of the main podcasts anymore by choosing this option. That is on him alone.

What I don't like seeing are any gender biased comments about anyone. Totally unnecessary and I believe unfounded and unwanted.

At the same time, I don't like reading generic TV comments about being disappointed by people. Like it or not, his decisions have a wider effect than he may intend but announcing his opinions of his listeners comments or constructive criticisms, again generically, are also prejudiced by his opinions and perceptions. He can have a 'father' like response at times, announcing his disapproval and disappointment as though his listeners are naughty children.

The DT is clearly growing and growing quickly. My opinion, like many others I'm sure, is that perhaps, in this instance, there has been too much change too quickly, and although I appreciate why from a business stance this has been done, from a listeners perspective, it may well be the straw that breaks the back for many, of being a devoted DT consumer. This is the decision that TV will have to either stick with and live with the consequences or depending on support/criticism of the new format, change again in the future to better suit his audience.

And that decision again is his and his alone.

As for me. The Dice tower is Tom Vasel, and Tom Vasel is the Dice Tower. That's it. I know he means for it to be a group of collaborators, but it's not to me for varying reasons. I am welcoming of new content and presenters but alongside, literally, the core of the DT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish the DT was more in depth. I took it off of my podcast sub because I feel that all of their reviews boil down to some variation of "Game X is a worker placement game. If you like worker placement games you'll probably like this game. Maybe."

It isn't just DT either, but a lot of "game reviews" that just come off as this surface level glances where they almost seem afraid to say anything negative and instead just bounce all of these generalities around that really tells you nothing about anything. I'm just trying to imagine any other genre doing that and what it would sound. It would be like a restaurant reviewer going to a steak house and being like "Here they have meat! If meat is your thing you'll like it here. It's not bad meat, I've had worse meat, and there's better meat, but overall ok meat, if you like meat. It came from an animal of some kind and they cooked it. They cooked it ok, it's not the best cook, for meat, but it's not a bad cook of meat, if you like meat. So meat, it's for meat eating people who like meat! Click the subscribe link! Buy some shirts! Buy some mugs! Watch our videos about other meat! Follow us on Instagram and twitter and surround your life with our faces! Meat!!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I wish the DT was more in depth. I took it off of my podcast sub because I feel that all of their reviews boil down to some variation of "Game X is a worker placement game. If you like worker placement games you'll probably like this game. Maybe."

Do you have a specific review in mind that exhibits this kind of thing? I'm not seeing this at all.

For example, I just watched the Alien Artifacts review and was pretty impressed with how in-depth it was, especially Zee's commentary.

I find they usually do a pretty good job of backing up their opinions, even if I disagree with them from time to time.

I certainly don't see the kind of review you describe coming from them, though. I'd be interested to take a look at one and see if I can understand where you are coming from.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I am not sure what in-depth reviews for board games would be - cause that clashes with "How it's played" videos too much.

In a review you usually need to see the visuals, learn which systems were incorporated into a game and how the game flows (which the Dice Tower reviews provide in a plenty). Beyond that you either read the rulebook or read a Designer's diary to learn how he created the game (if there si one).

I doubt there is time to dive deep into each game's inner workings and mull over how it deeply compares and contrasts to other similar games. 99% of the folk would be bored of that anyway.

So while I understand where Party Hats is coming from (and sometimes I also like deeper explanations and insights), it is simply not feasible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Reynolds
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
It very simple. I know by your tone and agressive denouncing of anyone who gives their negative opinion of the Mandi and Susanne podcast that they must hate women. WRONG! I love women however to put it simple. I want to hear Tom and Eric do the dice tower podcast. It's like this. I like the Beatles. Sure another group could cover their songs. You could argue it's the same song but with different singers. However, I like the original Beatles and there's nothing wrong with that and we shouldn't have to defend our preferences. There's no women hating conspiracy here so you can drop the accusations. We are just people who like the original band.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Reynolds
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well said. Plus, Tom has 20 years or so of reviewing games, etc. I've come to understand his style and he likes almost the exact type of games I do. Mandi and Sussane are just cool people who like to play games. I want to listen to the profession. That's all I'm saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Mc
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the people who are really concerned with only wanting the content that has Tom in it, here's a filtered feed for you:
https://siftrss.com/f/mVwWYA8qVY

And heck, if you want only the content that doesn't include Tom, you can have that too:
https://siftrss.com/f/6Qqv5xyn95B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danperrault wrote:

Yep I used to listen to every single ep until 500. It has gone downhill since. I miss just them two. cry the new people are annoying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Reynolds
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the link!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Reynolds
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sucks! Ive been with the podcast since the beginning and hate to see it go south. Worse, is that Tom has dug his heels in and is unwilling to budge. Not sure why, maybe he feels he's defending women's rights. Maybe he doesn't like the thought that other people are telling him how to run his business. Who knows. But his unwillingness to listen to the negative feedback is disheartening. It almost feels like he's putting his friendship with Mandi and Susanne before business. Not a winning strategy in the long run. Again, who knows. I love the guy and hope the best for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maddogpilot wrote:
Sucks! Ive been with the podcast since the beginning and hate to see it go south. Worse, is that Tom has dug his heels in and is unwilling to budge. Not sure why, maybe he feels he's defending women's rights. Maybe he doesn't like the thought that other people are telling him how to run his business. Who knows. But his unwillingness to listen to the negative feedback is disheartening. It almost feels like he's putting his friendship with Mandi and Susanne before business. Not a winning strategy in the long run. Again, who knows. I love the guy and hope the best for him.
Umm, you're aware that there has been lots of positive feedback as well, yes?

I cannot find that it has gone downhill and really enjoy the addition of Suzanne and Mandi to the show.

At least give the new format a chance before complaining.

(Of course, this has all been discussed to death already...)

Edit: Typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maddogpilot wrote:

Humbug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.