Grzegorz Okliński
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hi folks,

heres my attempt for a fan made faction for ST:A.
Preview pics & files included. You need to print 3x a4 sheets, and you can also print 3d files (10x bioships, 10x control nodes, 2x sliders + 2slider stops, 10x damage indicator). You can use other faction plastic structures and ships instead though.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/md98g0s77vpikz7/AAD2y4pSVgEg8w8lB...

Faction is weird in every way You always start in the middle of the map with regular resources and only 1 ship. Its hard to manage your superior position, because threat is all around you. Best stay at your borders to maximize research generation, and at the right moment destroy your enemies. Preventing your enemies from trading seems reasonable, since you cant trade like they do.
Hazards wont destroy your operational ship, but can do damage. However damaged bioship receiving hit from a Hazard is destroyed. And since is very expensive, you dont want to lose them.
Colonizing is expensive too. At the end you pay 1 research token more, so try to maximize your researcg generation. So forget about colonizing 1structure world (and in some cases 2structure worlds too!).
You cant hegemony, and build starships, and commision fleets, so forget about ascending too quickly. Focus on your strong point - killer ships.

Youll be short on command tokens due to fact, that you dont have regular fleets, so be careful where you move your ships. Try to keep up with technologies (some of them are your must have!), but dont forget about weapons & shields. Your ships are very tough at start, but your rivals can pretty easily upgrade W&S so you wont be that much competitive anymore.

Faction is designed for variant i almost always play: victory condition is 5A + rival home systems (1for 3-4p game, and 2 for 5p game). Hard to say if 8472 has any chance in standard victory condition (5A).

I dont recommend to play 6p game, since there is lack of command tokens, resource nodes, systems and so on. You can however just play with 8472 instead of any other faction.

Please, give me info about errors you encounter. English is not my first language so any help would be appreciated.
Some pics arent the current ones, so please take a look at PDFs included - thats the current version of 8472.

G.

• [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I´m trying to get 300 years old, so now I´m a teenager
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, you have done a lot of work and at a first glance it seems to be a very well developed expansion.
I especially like that you have made the stl files and I may be printing all the 2D and 3D parts and give this race a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emiliano Fortini
Italy
flag msg tools
Wow, very good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Cimmarrusti
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
ALOHA amazing work!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey foto
Canada
flag msg tools
Awesome work, thanks can't wait to play this against the Borg expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it intentional that the back of the research cards say "8274" instead of "8472"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Nickholder
msg tools
Hi Grzegorz,

great job! Love it - especially the species-specific abilities and advancements as well as the nice design of the control nodes!

On the first view, I have few comments about slight improvements:
- on the backside of the advancement cards: 8472 instead of 8274
- on the control pad: commission instead of commision / species instead of specie
- the bio ship: could you please upload a version without the braces

Thank you!
D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Okliński
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Kamakaze wrote:
Is it intentional that the back of the research cards say "8274" instead of "8472"?

Noo, its a mistake.

Nickholder wrote:
Hi Grzegorz,

great job! Love it - especially the species-specific abilities and advancements as well as the nice design of the control nodes!

On the first view, I have few comments about slight improvements:
- on the backside of the advancement cards: 8472 instead of 8274
- on the control pad: commission instead of commision / species instead of specie
- the bio ship: could you please upload a version without the braces

Thank you!
D.

All fixed.
Also there is now a stl. file called: 'bioship v7 clean' and this one is without a stand (if i understood your request correctly).

Thank you guys! It was pure pleasure to develop this expansion, i hope it will be fun for you to play with superior 8472 race

g

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Nickholder
msg tools
Thanks a lot for the quick revision!
Concerning the stl file: My 3d modelling program shows that the model has a support structure. Would be very kind to have a model with the base, but without the support structure (the material that is only needed to print and is thrown away after printed). Thanks in advance!

And if you are bored...all fans are looking forward for a Breen, Dominion or Tholian Expansion ;P

Best wishes to Poland
Daniel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dvonn Yinsh
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nickholder wrote:
Thanks in advance!

And if you are bored...all fans are looking forward for a Breen, Dominion or Tholian Expansion ;P

Best wishes to Poland

Hear hear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcin marcinek
msg tools
mbmbmb
Nickholder wrote:
All fans are looking forward for a Breen, Dominion or Tholian Expansion ;P
Well, this fan is more excited for Gorn, Vidiian, and Krenim :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Nickholder
msg tools
Or Xindi, Talarian, Malon, Sheliak, Miradorn, and Nausicaan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget Orion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Nickholder
msg tools
Oh sorry for being so pedantic, but I plan to print it in the finest quality:
There is still specie instead of species on the home system tile.
And I have two questions about the rules: Is 10 the max. ship limit for the faction? And is there an option to defeat the 8472ers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Okliński
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Ill fix this right away.

10bio ships is hard limit (means 30 dice, just like the other factions).
8472 is definately best faction out of the box. But not that good to wipe 3 or 4 other players at once, and thats the balance. You basically cant even wipe one player right away because...

well, lets say that you build one additional ship first round. This is ok, because youre still left with 2C, 2R and 2P tokens, and 2 ships. You start with 5 commands and there is little to none chance to extend its number to 6 (you need to draw that particular technology and then finish it, and you cant have that number of R tokens, and you cant find few reliable Phenomenons due to default systems rule). Youre about 3 cross sections from your rivals. So lets say you pick one that seems to be in worst shape. You need 6 commands to fly to Earth (or Romulus, or... etc.) and one additional to initiate space battle. So this means you can try invasion in second turn. Now, your ships ar 4+/1 at default.
Your rival have at the star of the round two 4R tokens. And if you move to his terriroty, he can spend that resources to upgrade weapons. This means he can defend Home System with 3-7 ships (he has 4P at that point and 3 ships) with 4+/0. So 8472 could win, and could lose.
But even if you conquer other player Home System, you cant hold it due to the fact that your Shipyard is still 3 cross sections from your new system, and youre totally out of ships in your Home System. This means youre easy target.

You could say: lets build 3 additional ships at the start! You can, but this means you dont have resources to repair them after combats, and you cant build any structures even after succesful colinization. You end up with one rival Home System and your economy is broken. Also you need 12 commands to fly to your rival Home System, and 13th to activate the battle. So this is late 3rd turn. At this point your rival may colonized other world and spam you with their ships. Risky.

As said earlier, you shouldnt confuse your superior ship at the start of the game with ability to wipe out whole galaxy Youre not that good. Even in the best scenario, you end with rival home system, but probably lost game because of other players, and nonexistent economy.

What you can do is to threat middle of the map, forcing rivals to use edge routes, and minimize their trade. You will also benefit from patroling border systems of your rivals (free R tokens).

8472 Home System once lost, the faction is over unless you can build bioships in other systems (Advancement). So protecting your Home System is your duty.

PS: most of the content is native 300dpi. But some elements are just scanned and edited cards from my copy of ST:A so theyre not best looking. But still playable.

I will upload clear Bio Ship without support later that day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Nickholder
msg tools
OK, there is a normal control node on the home system.

Concerning a 4/5 player game: Maybe it is a option to place the home system of species 8472 to a distant place, to allow one! forced peace/satellite state (not trade) agreement with species 8472 to allow alliances or to higher the costs of building a ship until the first planet is colonized/occupied by species 8472.

Regarding the species-specific rules, I think the faction is perfect for players who are overwhelmed by the number of potential actions and options...and isolationism (especially for the Fed player) is unfavourable and combined combats are needed...
I am looking forward for the first try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8472 was one of those funny things from the latter season of Voyager, it sort of too the sting out of the Borg. That being said, I could see it as an exploration card first for the Borg expansion. Sort of a way to clear some of the Borg menace. That being said I find it hard to have 8472 in as a playable civ before the Borg set comes in with alternative rules as a playable civ.

That being said interesting set up you have. One thing I do notice is that you don't have hegemony for 8472. I think there was a scene where 8472 tried to infiltrate as humans. Also the planetkiller should be a fleet not and advancement, or and advancement that is attached to a fleet. But for a standard beta say build 0.5.0 it is real solid. Any plans on other civs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually print with ABS and I encountered serious problems with the printing of the ships because the fins at the end of the ships are so small that they often break when removing the support material. They will most likely break during normal use as well.
Maybe this isn´t true when you use PLA, but I had to change the design a little bit to make them printable.

They didn´t exactly look like the originals but they are still good enough for playing purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Okliński
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Great creation Frank!

Youre right: i print PLA, and ship wings are durable enough. In my design theyre way too thick to fit original bio ship, but i bet you cant tell at the first glance, theyre off.

Maldus: definately no more expansions from me. 8472 is the effect of my personal hype for ST:A, but i have way to many other ongoing board game projects to keep developing expansions for ST:A. Few years back i made my own 4x Star Trek game - a thing with the strong BOTF vibe. But it was a time i had no idea how to publish my game, or even to contact publisher (and that particular game of mine wasnt even remotely valid board game comparing to GF9 product). And since GF9 announced their approach i felt jealous and kinda dissapointed (but also happy for a ST theme game so those few hours of developing this expansions was my way of dealing with the whole thing So its done for me.
And right about this moment official Borg Expansion is about to come, and as you guys said before many more expansions would eventually come, so we all wont be bored with this game i guess Would be a personal disaster for me to come up with expansion and find out that GF9 plan to do the very same faction in nearest future. I hope my 8472 will hold at least for a moment

Of course if the feedback is substantial, i will try to update this expansion.

As for your thoughts on expansion perks: mimics and infiltration is used by advancement cards, and i decided to use standard ST:A 'exhaust your card to exhaust another players card'. I also decided to get rid of fleet idea for 8472, so Planet Killer seemed a good idea for another advancement. But thats just my interpretation of 8472 for this game. Feel free to tweak this faction as much as your imagination (and hopefully ST realism) can go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´ve finally made all of the components:

As I wrote before, I had to change the design of the bioship to have better printing results. I´ve changed it once more and this is my final design:

I also changed the slider to make this race even more different:

And as you can see in the image, I´ve made some new damage markers to fit my ships.

Now I´m thinking about making some nodes for this race (production/science/culture) to have enough nodes for a six player game. I´ve already added selfmade command tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Okliński
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Outstanding! I hope youll enjoy the game. Let me know how works 6p game

PS: i like your damage tokens very much!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I´ve also made some race specific nodes:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any links for the files of the thematic sliders and nodes as well as the redesigned ship?

I was going to print up a set of these and give it a try this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the new design for the damage indicators as well. Do they actually fit over the ships? I think that was the intention of them and if it works, that makes them even cooler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
Any links for the files of the thematic sliders and nodes as well as the redesigned ship?

I was going to print up a set of these and give it a try this weekend.

3D printable (STL) Nodes, Bioship and a slider
The Damage marker is missing in this fiel, I´ve uploaded the marker and it should be there soon.

And yes, the markers fit above the ship, take a close look at the ship in the bottom row, it has the marker attached to the ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.