Montana» Forums » Rules

Subject: Action C: Build rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregor Arens
Germany
flag msg tools
I don't understand the following part of the rules:
If you refrain from building a second or third settlement you will receive 1 silver for each settlement you refrain from building.

Does that mean, if you build only one settlement you get 2 silver? That is like I understand the rules.

But why is it shown different on the player boards? Building option one does not show 2 silver, but option two and three show 1 silver each?

Or what do I get wrong?

Thanks for your answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
badge
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
When choosing the Build action, you MUST build at least once (part I). Hence the first build action doesn't show anything.

You are allowed to:
part II: build one more Settlement OR get a coin
part III: build one more Settlement OR get a coin.

In other words, you get coins 3 - "times you built".

The real tricky part is how this combines with double-building. If you build two Settlements on an area marked as double-Settlement, you don't need to pay the resources twice, but it DOES take up two of the III parts of the Build action. So, you can't build two double-Settlements in one action.

However, double-building as a bonus for the straight line DOES NOT take up an extra part of the building action. You *are* allowed to build four Settlement tokens in one action, if and only if you are building one of those as the bonus for line-of-four.

That seems like an important nuance, not mentioned in the English rules... :(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Hollander
Netherlands
Roosendaal
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you choose Action C, you must deliver at least one time goods to build a settlement.

Then you have the opportunity to build two times more. If you refrain from building more settlements, you gain a coin for each build action not taken.

Please note that this action is not about how many settlements you can place, but how many times you can build. So when you place two settlements on one space on the board, it counts as one build action!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a few more questions regarding the build action:

1) Placing an additional settlement on a space with the two hut icons or on the fourth space of a straight row is “free”, i.e. costs no resources. Is it one of your three builds for that action?
The info on building on a two-hut space costing no resources is missing from p.6 of the German rules btw.

2) The rules say you can build on a space adjacent to the starting space, or adjacent to any other settlement. That would include any color of settlement. All examples are for building adjacent to the player’s own color.

Which is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip
Belgium
Kortrijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1)From the rules:
- If the symbol for two settlements is depicted on the field, then you place two of your settlements on that field.
Placing this additional settlement is part of the same build action and doesn’t cost you any goods..
- If you create a straight continuous line with exactly four fields containing settlements in your colour, you immediately place an additional settlement on the fourth field in this line. Placing this additional settlement is part of the same build action and doesn’t cost you any goods.

2) You can build next to any color of settlement (blocking is part of the game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A player performs one action per turn.
A single Build action allows the placement of up to three settlements, so quoting the rule that I am asking to clarify doesn't make that clearer. It's not like taking the build action gives you three build actions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
badge
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarod wrote:
Got a few more questions regarding the build action:

1) Placing an additional settlement on a space with the two hut icons or on the fourth space of a straight row is “free”, i.e. costs no resources. Is it one of your three builds for that action?
The info on building on a two-hut space costing no resources is missing from p.6 of the German rules btw.

2) The rules say you can build on a space adjacent to the starting space, or adjacent to any other settlement. That would include any color of settlement. All examples are for building adjacent to the player’s own color.

Which is correct?

Let me answer as best as I could:
1) when you build a row-of-four, you may place one more Settlement token on any of the four in a row. You pay all the four Settlements in the row in full, you just lay there five tokens. The extra token laid in this way DOES NOT cost you a part of building action (building action has III parts).

2) You place Settlements next to any colour. Basically it means the Settlements starting in the middle (or whatever) and then expanding to all directions.

3) When you build up a hut on a space marked as double-space, you pay the resources once and lay there two Settlement tokens. However, this DOES cost you two parts of the III of your building action. Seems to me Jeroen is misunderstanding that, as he didn't read the original German rulebook... and this got lost in English translation.
EDIT: I stand corrected. See below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kovar
Czech Republic
Prague 6
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ad 3) This is not correct. It does NOT costs you 2 actions of 3, and it's in German rulebook as well.

There is example in rulebook on page 7 (both DE and ENG rulebook).
Red player builds settlement on space 1, then settlement on space 2 (double settlement, so he places 2 tokens) and then, since he is out of resources he cannot build any more and takes 1 coin.

So building double settlement doesn't cost 2 actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
badge
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks David.
In the German action explanation, the sentence "this does not cost his action" is only explained in the row-of-four, however not on the double-Settlement. I thought it implicitely means laying two Settlement tokens on a double-field consumes 2/3 of "you can lay three Settlement tokens per one build action". Regardless, the example makes it clear my opinion was wrong the whole time.

However, we're gonna continue to house-rule it that way. Building two double-Settlements in one turn is just too much of an advantage, imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bernard
United States
Fairview
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
myyysha wrote:
Building two double-Settlements in one turn is just too much of an advantage, imho.

I don’t think so. All tiles that can be built on are equally available to all players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernst Juergen Ridder
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there are rule questions I propose to read the dutch rules first.

They are developed by Jeroen Hollander, who already answered in this thread.

All the other rules in the rulebook are merely translations and the german translation is not so good (some missing sentences, sometimes wrong wording -"und" where it should say "oder"-).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
badge
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
androgeus wrote:
If there are rule questions I propose to read the dutch rules first.

They are developed by Jeroen Hollander, who already answered in this thread.

All the other rules in the rulebook are merely translations and the german translation is not so good (some missing sentences, sometimes wrong wording -"und" where it should say "oder"-).

I see, thank you. I somehow assumed the mother tongue of the game designer is the original language of the rules. It seems I have much to learn in the boardgame world. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.