Subject: Can Argagarg's Pacifism be countered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two characters have an ability that let's them counter another character's ability.

Grave has "Reversal".
The Dragon has "Perfect Counter".

Both say "prevent that ability from happening".

In the "standard" 2nd edition Argagarg, I would say it is pretty clear that it can be countered.

However, the Revised 2nd Edition Pacifism has as its trigger "Always in effect (while you're alive)."

Another detail is that Grave's Reversas's trigger reads "Opponent USES an ability". So I'm inclined to think that Grave can counter pacificm.
However, the Dragon's Perfect Counter's trigger reads "A mortal PLAYS an ability."
- Is Pacifism "played" or is it "always in effect"?

The wording "always in effect" could suggest that this ability cannot be countered (at least not by the dragon?).
Personally, I don't like this interpretation, but that's just me.

One could, however, argue that "always in effect" only describes the trigger, not the ability, i.e. the trigger is always in effect, i.e. the ability can be "played" under any and all circumstances.
So both Grave and the Dragon could counter it.

P.S.: I have also posted this in the "original" Second Edition forum, but I suggest that you respond here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Baumgarten
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the absence of an official ruling, I'd say that Pacifism cannot be countered by either Grave or the dragon. I can easily see your interpretation, though. As long as both/all players agree on the rule one way or the other before playing, go with what works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Never enough of these to go around...
badge
Never cut a deal with this guy...
mbmbmbmbmb
In the 2nd Edition (before the Revised Edition) under the Time-over rules for the Full Game, it says: If the round ends in timeout (last card drawn), no more abilities can be played except for Argagarg's Pacifism.

The reason why I believe this information was not included in the Revised Edition was because the text on this card was edited to include the text: Always in effect (when you're alive). This means, according to the Revised Edition, that Pacifism does not even need to be played when it triggers, as it's always in effect.

Therefore, the only way to prevent Pacifism from happening is to beat Argagarg before the time runs out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.