Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there!

9 year old kiddo. She has been enjoying playing Tokaido just with me, even though I think it is best at 3+, so I asked what she liked about it... since I have a bunch of other games, that I'm trying to see what else she would enjoy.

She mentioned this:

She liked having a figure (that is, a representation of "her"), that she moved onto a space to take an action.

Contrast that with most games where you, as some god, take some action and "get stuff" out of thin air: no board, no logical "walking" area... I guess roll-and-move style... :-/

Ideally I'm looking for something good/great at 2p as well. It's for kid, so with luck/randomness and not just pure skill based (so no chess-like things, I have Hive and other games in that genre...)

King of Tokyo doesn't work at 2p from my POV

I think also what works is Tokaido isn't directly competitive (we don't /fight/ each other, we just are watching our point score diverge).

Ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Istanbul instead of being a figure you're a stack of disks though the top one represents 'you' as it has a sticker on it with a face. There's no direct conflict, you're just racing to collect rubies the quickest based on efficient use of actions and resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Earlybath wrote:
Istanbul instead of being a figure you're a stack of disks though the top one represents 'you' as it has a sticker on it with a face. There's no direct conflict, you're just racing to collect rubies the quickest based on efficient use of actions and resources.

True, true. I own Istanbul (and she's half turkish , I'll try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabled Fruit
Jungle Rumble

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities: The Board Game

You have 5 person wearing hat shaped meeples. You play a card and move them along the various paths. You choose where your big guy goes. Works well with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john greeb
United States
flag msg tools
mb
When I tried to think of games that met your criteria (figure & action taking), a lot of coops came to mind. Some examples:
Flash Point: Fire Rescue

Forbidden Desert

Mole Rats in Space

Mice and Mystics

Racing games usually have tokens representing the player (although they may not be as good with only two players and usually involve some take-that):

Titan Race

Jamaica

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko is a fun game with you moving the gardener or panda to help complete objectives.

If you think that the pandemic game style would appeal have a look at Defenders of the Realm . My daughter has always enjoyed teaming up on this game .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Burgle Bros. is fun, its cooperative and you control the actions of the meeple that represents you...

Forbidden Island and any of the games in the series all have a meeple which represents you, you move them around and take various actions.. also happens to be cooperative..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Newhero
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko is from the same designer of Tokadio, it only features two figures, both of which are controlled by all players. Shared goal, but has individual goals. Dice roal at the start of the turn? gives an element of luck.

Forbidden Island has a figure for each player where you move about. Co-Op. Cards are drawn at the end of every durn which change up the board and what you recieve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is something Worker Placement what you're after? My 7 year old has got the hang of Agricola Family Edition and so I am considering Stone Age next (I don't have the younger person variant, My First Stone Age, but I suspect that will be too simple for her now).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marronigus wrote:

looked at both. both fail the "meeple on a board walking around" though they did seem interesting. for now reviews on Fabled Fruit signal that it is better at more than two, the second game I'm looking at but quick glance I think it also will fall to my kid dismissing it (for now) due to the way ... some kind of complexity some games have: you're starting at stacks of things or a board with many spots, each having its rule... and wondering what it all does, and you (the player) are somewhat just orchestrating things... but not having a presence on a physical layout... ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
invervegas wrote:
So is something Worker Placement what you're after? My 7 year old has got the hang of Agricola Family Edition and so I am considering Stone Age next (I don't have the younger person variant, My First Stone Age, but I suspect that will be too simple for her now).

I personally want to roll into some worker placement, I actually the very night I posted this had just opened Agricola (the original one, and I was getting ready to put the family side on the table)... and that's when she made the comment... "oh do i need to know a bunch of rules to know what to do?" and I starting thinking ("well not many but I might have to talk about the goal being 'most points' then talk about the N ways of getting points...)...

I also own stone age, another one I think she will enjoy once we get the hang of it.

I saw my first stone age, and it looks way too simple.

For others posting about Takenoko, also own it, she does enjoy it. I think it's best at 3 so the farmer/panda isn't just back-and-forth, but it's also a good option I admit.

I do own a bunch of the coops (many in fact), including Burgle Bros, which I need to try again with her at some point.

Ah... kids really do have us all wonder, what /does/ make a game tick?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Dunn
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends of Andor
Mice and Mystics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theorel Masheriel
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lot's of rpg-type or coop games fit this as mentioned. I'm sure there are more though...

Thebes is the only one that comes to mind though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip O'Brien
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some that are popular with my 9yo and 6yo sons:

Dungeon!
Emerald (if you can find a copy)
Forbidden Island

And just the 9yo:
Takenoko

And hoping to try out the following soon which I'm sure will be popular:
The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac
The Adventurers: The Pyramid of Horus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Mice and Mystics if she likes fairy-tales with an elaborate story and doesn't easily get bored by endless dice rolling.

+1 Legends of Andor if she likes fairy-tales where the story is a little more in the Background. The game is unforgiving, though.

And finally, Heldentaufe sounds like it would be a good competitive game for her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Farquhar
Australia
North Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something else to try is a solo game, working side by side on all the decision making.

I have had pretty good success with games like Hostage Negotiator, Arkham Horror Card Game, and Superhot.

They get to "own" the gaming experience, and its them versus the game, not you. You act like an adviser or sounding board when they want to validate their decisions.

It's like co-op but you don't feel like you are alphagaming as much.

The other way I play the conversation is "I am going to play one of my more complex solo games, and I need your help."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.