Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wes Cothran
United States
manchester
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently picked up Battles of the Bulge: Celles, and have become quite smitten with it. The problem I'm having is that I'm looking for something else to add into rotation with it and I am having real trouble narrowing my search.

Things about the game that I like:
Smaller footprint. This will be an on-my-desk-at-work game. I've got a maximum space allotment of 18"x24" (conveniently the size of the acrylic I got to cover the map) so the next game doesn't have to be tiny, but multi-map is out.
Lower counter density. I don't mind tons of counters, but I don't want to have towering stacks to push about. One or two per stack means that when I leave the game for 15 minutes, I can scan the board when I come back and not miss too much information.
Chit-pull (random activation). This is more about the "not the same game again" than it is anything against most other systems.
Combat during movement I like doing all of a unit's activation and then moving to something else. Also the flexibility of moving AFTER attacking is really nice.

Other games I like that don't fit the bill currently:
A Most Dangerous Time: Japan in Chaos, 1570-1584 This thing is gorgeous but way too big.
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition) Such an awesome game, but it FEELS too big, whether it is or that's just imagined.
Space Empires: 4X I love this game so, so much, but the board and the bookkeeping are too, too much for down-cycles at work.
Fire in the Lake It's a COIN game. I'd much rather play with humans, as opposed to bots with this game, so that's a no-go here. I don't mind playing multiple sides, but it's just not as rewarding.
Thunderbolt Apache Leader My (dis)organization system with this one prohibits travel with it.

Games I've had and disliked for whatever reason:
Ottoman Sunset I see what VPG is doing with the system, and it's just not for me. Well, five to ten plays and then I'm done. It's just not meaty enough in the long run.
Astra Titanus This is a miss as hard as SE4x is a hit for me. No real answer other than it just didn't work.

So there you have it.
Help me Obi-grog Kenardbi, you're my only hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Kochman
msg tools
faustus327 wrote:
I've recently picked up Battles of the Bulge: Celles, and have become quite smitten with it. The problem I'm having is that I'm looking for something else to add into rotation with it and I am having real trouble narrowing my search.

Revolution Games also published another game using the same chit pull system: Gazala: The Cauldron.

Because you said you prefer smaller games, I won't suggest A Victory Lost, but some other games by Tetsuya Nakamura might fit the bill. For example, Fierce fight! Leningrad Blitzkrieg is relatively small, and English-language rules can be found online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiberius Vulpius
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Fading Glory? It has a small footprint and low counter density. It contains four battles and production quality is very high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Cothran
United States
manchester
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Victory lost is one that's going in the hopper for later for sure, but, for now, I've got plenty play at home games.

I just watched a review on Gazala, and it looks like I have one for the list.

I completely forgot about the Napoleonic 20 series. I had meant to look into the GMT versions more closely. Any idea if I should go after that or the VPG version?

So far it looks like I should have said next gameS instead of game.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some suggestions that at least fit the small footprint:

-I Obey: The Campaign of Bezzecca 1866 (chit pull)

-Invasion 1066: The Battle of Hastings and Invasion 1066: Stamford Bridge (no stacking)

-The Grunwald Swords, House of Normandy, and Battles on the Ice (no stacking)

-Agricola, Master of Britain (low unit density and lots of variability)

-Totensonntag and Corps Command: Dawn's Early Light/Corps Command: Dawn's Early Light – Red Hammer (chit pull and low counter density)

-Days of Battle: Golan Heights (low counter density and cards for variability)

-Napoleonic 20 series (low counter density and cards for variability)

-Sticks and Stones, Platoon Commander: Poland Strikes, Platoon Commander: Korea 1950, and Platoon Commander: India-Pakistan War 1965 (low counter density and cards for variability)

-Winter Thunder (chit pull and low counter density)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
faustus327 wrote:
Things about the game that I like:
Smaller footprint. This will be an on-my-desk-at-work game.

Nice. Are you self-employed? Cyber-commuter?

faustus327 wrote:
I've got a maximum space allotment of 18"x24" (conveniently the size of the acrylic I got to cover the map) so the next game doesn't have to be tiny, but multi-map is out.

Just to put that in context, a standard Starbucks table is 24" X 24", so you're looking for a game with a very small footprint -- few (if any) separate playing aids.

Question: Am I right in assuming that you are playing solitaire?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Cothran
United States
manchester
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Programmer with cubicle commensurate to nearby engineers. Overly large for me, WAY TOO SMALL for them. And, more than likely solo, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
The Barbarossa Campaign
It all of the Eastern Front with no stacking, small map, and only a little more space needed for economy cards.

Kido Butai: Japan's Carriers at Midway
Need a cup or two for drawing but small amount of counters and little board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Edwards
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
badge
Together down the ages we have fought the long defeat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleonic 20 may be the family of games for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Cothran
United States
manchester
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there merit with sticking to the VPG edition(s) or the GMT eds, or is there any substantial difference? I know the GMT is a collection, so the VPG ability to pick and choose is not a terrible thing, but I'm also all for a "curated" edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Edwards
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
badge
Together down the ages we have fought the long defeat.
mbmbmbmbmb
faustus327 wrote:
Is there merit with sticking to the VPG edition(s) or the GMT eds, or is there any substantial difference? I know the GMT is a collection, so the VPG ability to pick and choose is not a terrible thing, but I'm also all for a "curated" edition.

GMT is also a "deluxe" edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Corps Command: Dawn's Early Light – Red Hammer would fit your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Cothran
United States
manchester
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That does look like a winner, too. On the list it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the previously mentioned Gazala: The Cauldron, you could consider the small-footprint area impulse games Patton's Vanguard or Operation Battleaxe: Wavell vs. Rommel, 1941, or the squad-level Band of Brothers game (the stand-alone Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles or Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer; the expansion Band of Brothers: Texas Arrows). This squad-level game has 8.5 x 11 boards. On your work desk you could set up scenarios which are up to two boards long & three boards wide, which means you can play the majority of scenarios. However, there are a lot of 'marker' counters; that may not suit the kind of play you have in mind from your desk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.