Carl Hintze
Sweden
flag msg tools
There are worse burdens...
badge
Cool Cat!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Im looking into this game for solo play and i have some questions i hope u can help me answer.

I saw that origins has a campaign in the form of trails, does lost cities also have some kind of campign?

Is there any progression in the solo campigns? Do you get better?

What does lost cities offer that origins does not?

What does rise of rome offer?

What does the chip expansions provide to the game?

Are there any beats or traps in the arenas?

Is there "terrain" in the arenas?

Are there any equipment in the game?

Is there any reason to buy all the boxes, do they mix?
If yes, how easy is it to mix them?

Is there some kind of "Random fight" solo mode, where you can draft enemies and your own chips and just fight?

How does the AI work?

Thats alot of questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ritz
United States
Kelseyville
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow me to attempt to answer most of your questions...
1) No.
2) I don't know about Origins, but in LC and RoR the answer would be no
3) Larger territory and for solo play, the beasts and criminals along with boss sized creatures take the place of the other faction. You also can play with more than 2 players in LC, but I don't recommend it.
4) RoR offers Titans which bring a unique flair to the game and are much more difficult to beat.
5) Chip expansions provide better unlockable crowd favor chips and different troop for each faction with different abilities. Also some different equipment, and in some cases, more Titans and senario based enemies (look up Army of One).
6) If by "arenas" you refer to the ones provided in Origins, I don't know, but with the other games, you are always able to add them in. Hoplo is sort of "sandbox-y" that way. The Traps are baked into the LC map with enemy spawning points. Don't be standing on one of those when a beast or criminal spawn.
7)Again, in Origins, I'm not sure. In LC and RoR, no. There are 2 hexes on a 3rd Kickstarter backer arena that you couldn't move on to at all. You have to walk around them. But no terrain in the sense of inhibiting movement.
8) Yes, there is equipment in the crowd favor chips, and elsewhere through the factions and such. There are also chips you deploy onto your units that give "buffs" to certain attributes.
9) I have almost all the extras up to Origins, and only stopped because I ran out of room to get everything in one box (I affectionately call it "My 12 pounder"). And I still want to purchase Army of One. I have also considered getting the two latest factions, but again... no room.

It is dead simple to mix everything. Is there any reason to? That just depends on the kind of gamer you are. I would say that it certainly worth getting either the two big box sets or one big box and several chip packs.
10) Yes. The way you described it, is essentially how it works. Of course there are several variants. Again, it's kind of a "sandbox-y" game.
11) AI differs from thing to thing. Beasts are random movement but brutal fighting (once they are adjacent to a players chip, those two or three or four are locked in battle until either the beast dies, or the player's units die). Criminals always head straight for your Hero chip (the number of spaces 0-2 is decided by dice roll). Bosses move either like a beast or a criminal and have a super power that may or may not trigger thanks to a dice roll. Titans... well there are too many things to explain because each is entirely different. All dice rolling though.

I hope that sheds some light. I have had this in my collection for over 3 years and I still have a great time solo and pvp. It is easy to learn and teach. I would say it is well worth the effort to get your hands on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tornabe
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theritzes wrote:
Allow me to attempt to answer most of your questions...
1) No.
2) I don't know about Origins, but in LC and RoR the answer would be no
3) Larger territory and for solo play, the beasts and criminals along with boss sized creatures take the place of the other faction. You also can play with more than 2 players in LC, but I don't recommend it.
4) RoR offers Titans which bring a unique flair to the game and are much more difficult to beat.
5) Chip expansions provide better unlockable crowd favor chips and different troop for each faction with different abilities. Also some different equipment, and in some cases, more Titans and senario based enemies (look up Army of One).
6) If by "arenas" you refer to the ones provided in Origins, I don't know, but with the other games, you are always able to add them in. Hoplo is sort of "sandbox-y" that way. The Traps are baked into the LC map with enemy spawning points. Don't be standing on one of those when a beast or criminal spawn.
7)Again, in Origins, I'm not sure. In LC and RoR, no. There are 2 hexes on a 3rd Kickstarter backer arena that you couldn't move on to at all. You have to walk around them. But no terrain in the sense of inhibiting movement.
8) Yes, there is equipment in the crowd favor chips, and elsewhere through the factions and such. There are also chips you deploy onto your units that give "buffs" to certain attributes.
9) I have almost all the extras up to Origins, and only stopped because I ran out of room to get everything in one box (I affectionately call it "My 12 pounder"). And I still want to purchase Army of One. I have also considered getting the two latest factions, but again... no room.

It is dead simple to mix everything. Is there any reason to? That just depends on the kind of gamer you are. I would say that it certainly worth getting either the two big box sets or one big box and several chip packs.
10) Yes. The way you described it, is essentially how it works. Of course there are several variants. Again, it's kind of a "sandbox-y" game.
11) AI differs from thing to thing. Beasts are random movement but brutal fighting (once they are adjacent to a players chip, those two or three or four are locked in battle until either the beast dies, or the player's units die). Criminals always head straight for your Hero chip (the number of spaces 0-2 is decided by dice roll). Bosses move either like a beast or a criminal and have a super power that may or may not trigger thanks to a dice roll. Titans... well there are too many things to explain because each is entirely different. All dice rolling though.

I hope that sheds some light. I have had this in my collection for over 3 years and I still have a great time solo and pvp. It is easy to learn and teach. I would say it is well worth the effort to get your hands on.

WOW, just from those questions and answers I'd buy in. The thing is I went on their website last month and got the full package plus xtra goodies.
Now looking to get the 2 new chip sets but have to wait a while for that.
Maybe they'll have a sale or sent out promo codes for holidays .
I would say watch a bunch of reviews, unboxings and playthroughs, then read all you can handle on BGG. I did that and realized sometime in-between I ordered the entire setgulp.
The game is just great in all accounts and quality of every piece is top notch. I got the premium chips and they're Premium but the standard ones I would have been really fine with(and then could have gotton the 2 new cities) but will use for something in another game.
Support is amazing also. Check out Rolling Solo on YouTube, he's up to Trial #3 of Solo's as of yesterday. He begins with unboxing, then set up and rules and right into Solo games. Very clear explanations and walks you through the whole planning and play, good video too. Definitely suggest. Dont recall but think 30min segments. So get watching so your caught up and can ask questions or comments between recordings.
And just to let you know I dont regret the purchase. I was upset at myself before it was delivered, but while opening I was wow!
There was even one of those cards inside "checked by so and so".
Now that I think about it, I do regret it. If I was to do it again, I would have added the other cities!
@Jason Ritz Great job answering all those
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.