Jenner Bird
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
We’ve been playing the expansion for a week now and really struggling due to all the detentions we’re accruing. I’m curious if any of you guys have a variant you play or an idea for one that removes detentions from the game. I’m thinking about just removing most of the DA that add one to your hand/discard. IMO they detract from the fun of the game and make it much less enjoyable. Any thoughts or ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Full disclosure, I haven't played with the expansion yet.

Obviously this is your game, so you should play it the way you want. But here's a couple of ideas if detentions are causing too much of a problem.

1) Like you said, just take the detention DA cards out. I don't know how much easier this would make the game, but it seems it would be very easy to implement.

2) You can leave the detentions in, but as soon as you draw a hand with detentions, you trash them from the game. That way they still effect your hand by giving you fewer cards to play, but the same detentions won't come up over and over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
you could "seed" the market so that Tergio cards are guaranteed to be available.

For instance, you could try this:
- prior to shuffling the Hogwarts deck, pull out 1 Tergio spell for each player
then do one of the following options:
a) give each player a Tergio as an 11th starting card [easiest, but it nerfs the game the most]
b) place these Tergios in a stack in one of the 6 market spots. [this makes them available for purchase, without totally cluttering up the market], then fill the other 5 spots as normal from the Hogwarts deck
c) shuffle the rest of the Hogwarts deck, then pull off the top 15-25 cards, and shuffle the Tergios in with those 15-25 cards, and place that stack on top of the Hogwarts deck. Then fill the market as normal. [this makes it so that the Tergios will come into play at some point in the game]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd advise against making any drastic changes, like removing them completely. That would probably make the game too easy. How about removing the discard penalty? That way, they still take up a spot in your hand, but you can get rid of them any time you're forced to discard a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff bee
msg tools
I haven't tested it out yet, but here's where I would start if I wanted to play without detentions.

I would return to Year 7 with the 6 horcruxes. I would randomly select 14 enemies. I would remove the DA events that add detentions, and I would remove Dupulso, Tergeo, and Reducto from the market.

These changes would equate to playing the base game with added variety via the expansion pack. You could still choose Year 7 or Box 1 hero cards (or Luna), you could still choose the patronuses (which would minimize the reliance on dice rolling cards in the market), and you would have variety of enemies, preventing some of the same stale combinations that we all got used to in the base game.

This *will* make the game easier. If you wanted to add difficulty while still removing the detentions, I would suggest adding 2 encounters before the horcruxes (removing those that deal with detentions from the eligible pile of 12). I wouldn't even say it had to be a #1 and #2 encounter, though perhaps you don't want two #3 encounters. If you did this, I would then abide by the rules for which enemies you need based on the encounters, and then randomly select the remaining ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent L
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We've been thinking about implementing a rule similar to Marvel Legendary. Instead of playing your hand, you may banish any cards in you hand then discard the rest. You lose your turn, but if you're lucky you could get rid of a few detentions at once. We are going to try this variant next time we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrLussier wrote:
We've been thinking about implementing a rule similar to Marvel Legendary. Instead of playing your hand, you may banish any cards in you hand then discard the rest. You lose your turn, but if you're lucky you could get rid of a few detentions at once. We are going to try this variant next time we play.

Have you tried this yet, Brent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.