Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Folks I have a dilemma and I thought the good people on this site might have some ideas.
I find that I need to use my smartphone or laptop more and more when we play medium to heavy games.
Take XCOM for example.

Is there a cheap, but reliable projector (hopefully with sound) that will allow me to attach it to my smartphone and project unto a wall? or even a TV. perhaps some kind of cable?

Anyway, any advice is welcome.
Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can Air Drop it through Apple TV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I dont have an apple smart device nor appleTV.
Wayne Schulatz wrote:
You can Air Drop it through Apple TV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
Folks I have a dilemma and I thought the good people on this site might have some ideas.
I find that I need to use my smartphone or laptop more and more when we play medium to heavy games.
Take XCOM for example.

Is there a cheap, but reliable projector (hopefully with sound) that will allow me to attach it to my smartphone and project unto a wall? or even a TV. perhaps some kind of cable?

Thank you.

What phone do you have?

This will dictate the answers.

The cheapest way, is always just to run a HDMI cable from your device to a TV/Projector display. You can generally get third party cables for less than $20 that will do a good job.

Depending on your phone and TV/Projectors you already have though there may be Bluetooth or wireless options available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that you will find that all of the cheap ones are expensive over time. They require bulbs that don't last as long as more expensive bulbs producing the same lumens magnitude.

Might I suggest an inexpensive tablet and a set of Bluetooth stereo speakers as a more efficient investment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Android smart phone and PC (windows) laptops.

Bearhug78 wrote:
BIgLatinDude wrote:
Take XCOM for example.

Thank you.

What phone do you have?

This will dictate the answers.

The cheapest way, is always just to run a HDMI cable from your device to a TV/Projector display. You can generally get third party cables for less than $20 that will do a good job.

Depending on your phone and TV/Projectors you already have though there may be Bluetooth or wireless options available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it have to be 'your phone'? Because I found it easier to solve this problem by buying an android tablet with HDMI output, and then just connecting that to a monitor or a tv. Nvidia has stopped making the Shield, but a quick google indicates that other companies are out there making reasonably priced HDMI machines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a horrible idea. Something to consider.

lacreighton wrote:
Does it have to be 'your phone'? Because I found it easier to solve this problem by buying an android tablet with HDMI output, and then just connecting that to a monitor or a tv. Nvidia has stopped making the Shield, but a quick google indicates that other companies are out there making reasonably priced HDMI machines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe go slightly old school? We use this in my classroom all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/Ipevo-Ziggi-HD-High-Definition-Docume...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chromecast on the TV?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromecast
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
capricorn_tm wrote:

We use our chromecast all the time to cast computer screens/phone screens. We basically use it like a wireless HDMI cable.

Edit: We just have it show up on the TV and not through a projector. So I can't give a projector recommendation, but a 32" tv can be had for pretty cheap now-a-days via craigslist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
mbmb
capricorn_tm wrote:

+1.

Most Android-based smartphones can mirror screen to chromecast. Alternatively a PC can do the same.

Many projectors have HDMI as well, so you can chromecast to those too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would this work with an app that contanins moving images and sound as opposed to still images?

capricorn_tm wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chromecast can mirror what is on your device. So it can just show what is on you device, picture and sound included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything recommended? I'm searching now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A TV along with a Roku or Chromecast to cast your android phone to the TV will be much easier and cheaper than going the projection route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.