GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,208 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
113 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG.CON

Subject: BGG.Con 2017 Math Trade Actual Discussion thread - RESULTS LIVE! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
When *is* BGG Con 20XX registration, anyway?
badge
This space intentionally left blank. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello out there in BGG.con land... YES! It's here, it's time, LET'S DO THIS!

HAPPY 11th BIRTHDAY BGG CON MATH TRADE

No cancer, yes games! Still only one Mischa per trade, as far as I know. Write your congressthing.

Actual Geeklist
Request Geeklist

DATES
When does the Geeklist open? NOW NOW NOW GO GO GO

When does the Geeklist close? NOON Central time, Monday October 30th, 2017 (Countdown timer)

Accursed Daylight Saving ends 2 AM Central November 5th, 2017

When are wantlists due? 5am (ish) Central time, Monday November 6th, 2017 (Countdown timer)

When do we get results? NOON(ish) Central time, Monday November 6th, 2017 (I still have a day job)

When do we trade? 8PM Thursday November 19th, INNOVATION [NB: this is new from years past]

SITREP
Help me, Mischa-wan Kenobi, you're my only hope! What do I do now?
Subscribe to this thread!
Post your hopes and dreams on the Request List!
Look at others' hopes and dreams in case you can fulfill them!
ADD GAMES TO THE ACTUAL GEEKLIST!

Kibbitz in this thread!
Ask questions!
SUBMIT YOUR WANTLISTS
Look at the Results!
FOLLOW THE GOOD FORM MATH TRADE GUIDE TO SUBMIT TO YOUR TRADE PARTNERS!
Make second chance offers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG.Con 2017 Math Trade Actual Geeklist

Subscribe to this thread. It's the little link near the title that says "Subscribe."

IF YOU DON'T KNOW, ASK.

Please don't list an item concurrently in this Math Trade and the Virtual Flea. It's Bad Form and annoying.

No cash, no gift cards, no gift certificates, no pure Geekgold. I still think it's boring to watch that transaction.

If you add an entry, you are not, repeat not obliged to trade it away. It's mathematically impossible, like dividing by zero or finding the cube root of the Ace of Corn.

OLWLG is here: http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[Rick and Morty portal joke]
rossum wrote:
We need to nest... deeper.
rossum wrote:
Nested quotes!!
rossum wrote:
With apologies to the past...
rossum wrote:
rossum wrote:
With apologies to the last threefour years...
rossum wrote:
With apologies to the last twothree years...

Mischa's Patented Newbie Guide to Math Trades ™

What the hell is a math trade?

A math trade is a way to orchestrate trades between many people without requiring many direct one-for-one trades. Example: I give you a game, you give Aldie a game, and Aldie gives me a game. We all give; we all get. We didn't trade directly with each other and none of us gets what we didn't ask for. Now scale that up to several hundred games and dozens of people. Everyone tells a computer program what they want, and it crunches the numbers (hence, "math") to figure out who gives what to who.

It doesn't have to be one-for-one. Think of each item on the Actual Geeklist as a box. In this box, I offer up a copy of Settlers; in that box, I offer up a second copy of Settlers but include Seafarers. I'm willing to trade both "boxes," but I'll accept different things for each box because I value them differently. (We could just as easily talk about a signed 20-year-old copy of whatever versus a brand-new print and play copy with the fabulous redesign.)

cry What do I do?

Read this trade's rules as posted on the Actual Geeklist. If you want to join in this year, inventory your games and add them to the list with a good description.

gulp Wait, I don't want to trade my signed Sid Sackson/Reiner Knizia RAcquire colaboration prototype with custom Rodin Fimo bits and get a slightly used travel chess set from the 1995 World's Fair Wheaties box!

No worries. All Math Trades are "No Risk" by definition. It's mathematically impossible for you to get a trade you didn't ask for. And not "Calculus is impossible" but "1 + 2 = blue turtle divided by zero times corn" impossible. So: be mindful of your wantlists and only add games you're actually willing to accept for that given item. In the same breath, don't be too restrictive and hope to trade up everything; you may wind up with no trades this time around.

blush Okay, now what?

Wait for further instructions, familiarize yourself with the deadlines and the Online Wantlist Generator. Subscribe to this thread! Ask questions! Tip! Thumb! Answer questions! Read the wiki! Don't sleep in on trade day!

This newbie guide is not to supplant Awesome Lindsey's Guide or the wiki entry. JeffyJeff's Online Wantlist Generator has its own wiki page, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cell phone form

Hiya! It is totally optional but fervently requested that you please fill out this form so I have your contact information in the case someone needs to reach you. It's very likely that you could have 5-20 trade partners, and Murphy rules and entropy happens. I commit to being a central point of contact to help middleman if needed.

I will not abuse your trust. I may give your number to a trade partner if crazy circumstances happen.

https://goo.gl/forms/yzyhbygPBVJ6dY8p1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RESULTS ARE LIVE!

Check it:

WOO HOO RESULTS

Pro tip, add hashtag-your-username for ease of everything:

http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/trades-summary.cgi?listid=...

I strongly urge you to look at the Good Form Math Trade Protocol for sending trade offers to your partners.

Congrats, everyone!

Mischa's Patented Good Form Math Trade Protocol

As previous years, I have a specific Math Trade Good Form Protocol I want you to follow. This is what you're going to do right now.

1. Look at the official results in JeffyJeff's nicely formatted version here. If you click the results link from the main page, it'll have #username at the end of the link and handily bring you to your own section.

NB: For each line, -- and ++ are part of the same chain. So you're giving --1 and getting ++1. This will help you answer, "Oooh, what did I trade away Y for?"

2. For each one of your giveaway games (marked with a --), do this:
In BGG, mark your game as for-trade.
Also set the comment as "spoken for in BGG.Con Math Trade" so people know not to bother.
In the OLWLG, click on the recipient's username. This will take you to proposing a trade to that user.
Set up a proposal to give someone a game and get nothing in return. Feel free to add a note to the comments along the lines of "for pickup at BGG.Con" to help remind people. Include your cell and notable travel details if you like.
Wait at least a couple-three hours before bombarding the other person with geekmails to give you your game.

I want people to take on the responsibility of giving before clamoring to get. Okay, people?

3. Side trades! Check out the "Who wanted mine" links to help you offload any desired games. All wantlists are public, so this should be easy.

Don't forget to tip your not-so-humble moderator, the actually humble JeffyJeff for his OLWLG work, and the incredibly understated Chris Okasaki for inventing the veritable flux capacitor of Math Trading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG.Con 2017 Math Trade Actual Discussion thread - GEEKLIST LIVE AND OPEN NOW!
Note this year's time and location of the trade is not what you'd expect from years past.

This year, we are having the official trade meetup 8pm Thursday in the Innovation Ballroom. As always, this is just a guaranteed time to meet your trade partners, but communication is key. If you won't be there, geekmail your trade partners (when you know who they are) and arrange an alternate meetup time. There is nothing wrong if you're not coming Thursday- you are still totally welcome to participate in the trade! You'll just miss the chaos.

Being physically present on Thursday is not a requirement.

Ask me or post here if you have questions, okay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG.Con 2017 Math Trade Actual Discussion thread - GEEKLIST LIVE AND OPEN NOW!
Putting this and the VFM back to back is a great idea. AND we get our games earlier to play with them. YAY!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QUESTION: What's the best way to list a bundle of smaller games on the math trade?

I've done a few math trades before, but only for single titles. This year, we have a stack of smaller games we would rather just bundle up into one entry. What would be the best/proper way for me to do that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick the biggest name one for the listing. Then list each game within the post itself, either adding pictures or linking to the game entry.

Then be sure to add into the post

+altname+ Game bundle of fabulous games -altname-

(the part in the middle can be whatever you want. It creates an alternate title for your listing for the Math Trade Generator.) I've done it before and folks LOVE getting a lot of games for one. Good luck on your trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:

Pick the biggest name one for the listing. Then list each game within the post itself, either adding pictures or linking to the game entry.

Then be sure to add into the post

+altname+ Game bundle of fabulous games -altname-

(the part in the middle can be whatever you want. It creates an alternate title for your listing for the Math Trade Generator.) I've done it before and folks LOVE getting a lot of games for one. Good luck on your trade.

This is not quite right. (Okiedokie, you should know better devil )

The altname tag only works with generic titles, such as “Outside the scope of BGG”; it is ignored with regular titles. If you want to use the tag, use “Outside the scope of BGG” and put all of the titles inside the body.

Otherwise, use the best game as the title and list the others in the body as “sweeteners”.

By the way, make sure to put the additional titles in the body using the “Insert Geek Link” pulldown, selecting “board game”. This lets the OLWLG highlight the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Freitas
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well someone just removed all the games i was interested from the math trade

cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kymmie Meeple
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Seasons Greetings!
mbmbmbmbmb
DOH!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy with some of the last minute adds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Elkins
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quick question from a first time math trader - So this will be my first BGG.CON and Math trade and I'm pretty excited for it. I've put a few games up for trade on the Geek list and I have a question about next steps.

I think I'm supposed to pick out the games that I want and then do some sort of alignment with what games I would trade for. I'm guessing I need to wait for the Want List to update to show what games that I've put up so I can make the connection. Is that correct? Just trying to figure out what to do next for the math trade. Any advice would be great, THANKS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Freitas
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea it updates once a day with all the new additions. Once your games actually get into the trade you'll be able to start picking and choosing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Elkins
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tolio wrote:
Yea it updates once a day with all the new additions. Once your games actually get into the trade you'll be able to start picking and choosing.

I thought that might be the case, but it hasn't updated since inputting the games yesterday. Since the Geek List closed yesterday at noon I figured that it would be updated by this morning. I guess that's where my confusion is coming from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually the Geeklist didn't lock yesterday but the Math Trade thing may have and that could cause some hiccups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When will we be able to submit our wants?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kymmie Meeple
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Seasons Greetings!
mbmbmbmbmb
I only see to 846 still? and peeps still adding games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Family Meeple wrote:
I only see to 846 still? and peeps still adding games?

Oh, good point. I assumed it was only the ones added after the noon deadline that didn't make it, but looking at the Geeklist I see several from Monday morning that I'm interested in that also didn't make it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't be so sure the list is actually closed until Mischa says so whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GONG

Aw darn, must be some Halloween spirits letting in some last minute entries.

The list is now closed to new entries!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Backlash27 wrote:
When will we be able to submit our wants?

Now. I have enabled online submissions! Go crazy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolio wrote:

It's actually a manual button I need to push to sync the Geeklist with the OLWLG. I endeavor to push it at least once (if not twice) a day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.