17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a space-themed game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kaleb Nelson
United States
flag msg tools
I haven't really played any. But I want to look into one. Midrange weight/complexity.

Leaning toward Terraforming Mars or Star Wars Rebellion. Any others I should be looking at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiny Epic Galaxies
Quantum
Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition)
Star Realms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Alert
Galaxy Trucker
Race for the Galaxy
Eclipse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Empires: 4X
Xia: Legends of a Drift System
Alien Frontiers
M.U.L.E. The Board Game
Android: Netrunner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
All of those suggested are good (don't dismiss Tiny Epic Galaxies because of the small box) and you might look at Shadowstar Corsairs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Already many great suggestions, but they're all wildly different in how they play. Do you like more euros or american type games? How much luck do you like? What player count? Competitive or co-op?

Regardless, some other great games to add to the pile:
Space Cadets: Away Missions is a tactical minis game with lots of player decisions.
Leaving Earth is a NASA simulation type game if you wanted 'realistic' space as opposed to sci-fi.
Eminent Domain is a fun deck builder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll for the Galaxy - Race for the Galaxy with dice. Both games are excellent, it just depends on whether you prefer cards or dice (roll is also a little less complex, but both have a lot of iconography to get used to).

Firefly: The Game - A great pickup and deliver game.

If you want to try Star Realms out the app is available for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Kaleb,

Welcome to Boardgamegeek! Daily Grind is right that the games suggested are very different and which one you'd like will depend on your tastes. I wonder what you mean by "midrange weight/complexity": I took a look at the games in your collection and all the games that you have rated highly (Catan, Pandemic, CAH etc.) are much shorter and less complex than Star Wars: Rebellion or Terraforming Mars. So if you're looking for something more in line with the other games you already enjoy then perhaps take a look at Roll for the Galaxy, Race for the Galaxy, Tiny Epic Galaxies or Quantum. However, if you are intentionally looking for games which are longer and heavier than what you've been playing so far, then I suggest checking out Eclipse, Leaving Earth, Space Empires: 4X and maybe Star Trek: Fleet Captains if you're into the Star Trek theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaleb Nelson
United States
flag msg tools
I just meant like, not the most complex game on the market, but not looking for Space Candyland.

I'm only just dipping my toe into tabletop games, but I'm willing to play a somewhat more weighty game if it's the best on the scene.

And thanks for the welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaleb Nelson
United States
flag msg tools
cafin8d wrote:
Already many great suggestions, but they're all wildly different in how they play. Do you like more euros or american type games? How much luck do you like? What player count? Competitive or co-op?

Regardless, some other great games to add to the pile:
Space Cadets: Away Missions is a tactical minis game with lots of player decisions.
Leaving Earth is a NASA simulation type game if you wanted 'realistic' space as opposed to sci-fi.
Eminent Domain is a fun deck builder

So many choices. Seriously thanks everyone!

Um, I'm not sure regarding "euro" v "american" what would be the major differences?

Currently I think my favorite game is Pandemic. Catan and Betrayal (House on the Hill) are also games I like a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ix nay
msg tools
What is the deepest, heaviest space empire game out there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ixnay wrote:
What is the deepest, heaviest space empire game out there?

Twilight Imperium: Fourth Edition or High Frontier (3rd edition), depending on what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The heaviest space empire game We have played is Federation & Empire but it is long oop and you have to like Star Trek a little.
Space Empires: 4X is a good space empire game from GMT .
On the radar and looking very nice is a competitive corporation game called SpaceCorp .

All the best ones have been mentioned by avid Sci-Fi gamers .
Just to torment your wallet further check out Twilight Imperium: Fourth Edition.

Ooh twilight ninja

Star Trek: Frontiers and Star Trek: Ascendancy are cool too. Ok ima Trekkie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad McCoy
United States
Vilonia
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you might want to start out with some lighter games and maybe work your way up from there after figuring out what you like. I would suggest:

Star Trek Panic (this is a cooperative game, which means that all the players must work together to win the game. There is no single winner, so all the players either win together or they will all lose together),

Terra Prime (a light game of exploration, trade, and a little combat - there is no combat between players, however),

The Awful Green Things From Outer Space (alien beings have invaded your spacecraft and you must eliminate them or, failing that, escape the overrun vessel before they kill you),

Alien Frontiers (where you compete with other players to colonize a planet that has been abandoned by an ancient alien civilization),

Star Wars X-Wing (a game of pure fighter combat),

and Andromeda (a game of interplanetary trade)

For the most epic space game out there, you will want to look into Twilight Imperium, 4th edition. And by epic, I mean it will take an entire day to play.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wrenn
United States
Bushkill
PA
flag msg tools
What? You thought I'd have some interesting overtext?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kalebmordecai wrote:
Um, I'm not sure regarding "euro" v "american" what would be the major differences?

Eurogames tend to be less confrontational. They tend to rely more on gathering points, have relatively little player interaction, often called "multiplayer solitaire," and "stopping" your opponent is more of getting in their way, like in Catan, where the only real way to stop an opponent is by building in a spot first. They also tend to have less of a theme, be more abstract, like moving cubes around a board that doesn't really represent anything specific. American style games, sometimes called "Ameritrash" or "Amerithrash" are much more confrontational, much more interaction, and rely much more on "defeating" your opponents to win. They're also more thematic, ie, you're commanding an army, or building a city or playing a superhero. More and more games, however, tend to be a varying blend of the two, on varying spots on the spectrum.

Among the Stars is another good space themed game, the first I liked enough to post a review of. Eminent Domain: Microcosm is a tiny microgame that plays real quick...once you decipher the rule sheet...Terraforming Mars is a bit more on the realistic side, as is First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet, although that one is a bear by all accounts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Starship Merchants
Carpe Astra

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Federation & Empire is very much still in print and still the deepest and most complex space empire game that will likely ever be made. Then you add the expansions and it gets even crazier.

It also has very little to do with current conceptions of Star Trek.

http://www.starfleetgames.com/federationandempire.shtml

You want to run merchant ships, explore the edges of the galaxy with surveys, send hospital ships to aid bombarded planets, spy on your enemies, custom build any ship you can imagine, perform special forces boarding actions, send in planetary assaults, use penal ships in combat, build strings of space stations to defend your frontier, send diplomats to neutrals, use or counter full ecm, and more? Only one game does all that.

Very intense and time consuming though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.