3 Posts

Naruto Shippuden Deck-Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is the first player basically defenseless? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan Minic
msg tools
So reading through the rulebook, the flow of play goes something like this:

All players draw 5 cards, then each individual player takes their turn, building power/chakra, spending it, using effects etc, and then at the end of their turn, they discard their hand.

So let's say you're in a four player game, you go first, drew a few defense cards, played what you could, discarded -everything- and then the 2nd player makes an attack. How can you defend against that when the rules forced you to get rid of those defense cards at the end of your turn?

Players who go first are practically sandbags to every player who goes after them. It is completely useless for the 1st player to even invest in defense cards because of this.

But maybe I misinterpreting the rules here and it works differently.

Either way, we have house ruled it so that discarding happens at the end of everyone's turn, plus each round a different player goes first (kinda like how the dealer button is passed around in poker).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TechnoIvan wrote:
So reading through the rulebook, the flow of play goes something like this:

All players draw 5 cards, then each individual player takes their turn, building power/chakra, spending it, using effects etc, and then at the end of their turn, they discard their hand and draws a new hand of 5 cards
Part in bold is probably what you're missing. You draw the new hand not at the start of your turn, but at the end of the previous one.

See page 2 of the rules, second bullet point under End of Turn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Minic
msg tools
Ohh I see, so the drawing happens immediately when your turn ends, not when your next turn begins.

That actually makes way more sense, especially for character abilities (Such as Killer Bee's for example - with the way we played it, his effect was almost pointless if you go last since all the players have already played their cards)

So yeah, just as I thought, I've missed something in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.