Subject: About the quality of the miniatures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
I am on the verge of buying this monster of a game for my son's 12th birthday. Acquiring the minis is the main motivation, as we are both massive fans of the Cthulhu Mythos. Most reviews I have read praise the minis as some of the best yet seen.

HOWEVER...

In almost every video I have watched on the minis, I have noticed lots of really BAD seaming where the main pieces are joined together. Often the gap is as much as 1mm!! Perhaps the worst seaming I have ever seen (though granted these are some of the largest minis I have ever seen). [Example: Hastur's left-side upper tentacles.]

My worry is that the problem is neither rare nor isolated to a few specific models. I have watched several unboxing videos of almost all expansions currently available, and the seaming problem seem to afflict almost every mini that is bigger than a cultist.

To me this kind of ruins the look of the minis, and is giving me second thoughts on the purchase. For £150 I expected everything to be 100% awesome.

Finally, in most of the Let's Play videos I have watched on this game, a rather serious design problem has reared its ugly head - directly related to the size of the minis. Namely, when combat inevitably kicks off, both sides have huge armies with each player having almost all of his available minis on the board. Seems like it is almost impossible to fit the minis into the board space, despite the board's colossal size, and the whole thing just ends up looking like a horrific mess. This is something that greatly annoyed me in the World of Warcraft board game and made me trade it in in the end. Is this "crowding" typical of gameplay in this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Miniature quality is really good (from a player not painter view). The minis are massive and sturdy (the vast majority).

The combat agglomeration is something that ocasionaly happens, live with that.

That said, this game is a 9/10 to me. It plays really well, is fun, asymmetrical to the bone and sees table very often.

If you like strategical games (area control, economy building) than this is a must buy game. This is not a war game though, as combat must be cirurgicaly addressed.

I hope I could be of help.

Good gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate this game a "ten" and am all-in (no mean feat) for everything. It is asymmetric, easy to play and play quickly, and produces many wonderful little moments during each game session.

The two issues you identify, if they are serious issues for you, might be a reason not to jump in. Yes, there are seams. It's not in the universe of Kingdom Death: Monster and makes no effort to be so. If for you "mini" means a lit magnifying glass, a worktable, and pins, then you're going to be disappointed. As far as crowding, yes, some battles see spaces that get crowded. While I myself like larger maps (and went for the oversized three to five player map in the recent KS), the designer, Sandy, has embraced the notion of monsters on monsters, making a glorious pile up as part of the charm. If this would be a point of annoyance to you such that you might even trade a game for that reason, then that is another problem for you.

I would search out someone in your area to try to see the game being played. It really is an engaging thing to have players plomping their respective ghastly beasties about the board. You might see the appeal in that. If not, then you have my feedback on your concerns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I assume that by 'seams' you are referring to the gaps created from the joining of 2 or more pieces to create one mini. If this is the case then yes, it's pretty bad on a significant number of the minis. If you were to paint them though you would absolutely need to use green stuff to fill the gaps on at least some of the minis. To be honest though I think that when actually playing with them it kind of just fades into the background and for me at least I tend to notice, or at least care. For you though I would recommend seeing if you can view them first hand before making a decision.

The second issue with the overcrowding of spaces can happen but seems to be more rare. If it's happening all the time to a group I'd point towards bad play as the culprit (essentially, people not being aggressive enough and turtling too much). Cthulhu Wars is a game that rewards movement and aggression which lends itself more to spreading out rather than clumping up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteRider27 wrote:
The second issue with the overcrowding of spaces can happen but seems to be more rare. If it's happening all the time to a group I'd point towards bad play as the culprit (essentially, people not being aggressive enough and turtling too much).

I agree. There may be a lot of clumping in early games, as players might be more cautious, but I would expect to see less as players get more experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are a huge minis fan and like to paint and pin, then you can break the glue joins, clean out the joins and reglue the minis. that will resolve the worst "seam" problems. However, if you are not a hobbiest, then they will just be badly glued at the factory and that's life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFarlin
United States
Hainesville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Petersen Games switched factories after the first initial run of games. Most of the figures with really bad seam issues were re-tooled at the new factory and are much better now. If that is a concern, just make sure you get a second edition or later copy of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive got a copy of the game from the newest print run (OS2) and there aren't any issues with gaps.
Miniature quality is fantastic.
Sandy wrote, that the Hastur Mini was reworked for OS2. If there was a propblem, it seems to be a thing of the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.