J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Figured many of you would enjoy this:

http://us.cnn.com/2017/10/03/opinions/mass-shootings-white-m...

Unfortunately in my opinion, the author writes well but misses the nuance of the argument. Mass murders were exceptionally rare in my youth, and certainly were rare in the first part of the 20th Century. So why the sudden surge in killings, both mass and serial, by white men? Could it be the shifts in the culture, where women and non-white males were (FINALLY!!!) being elevated to the same status and given the same rights as white males? How about the siphoning of good jobs off to foreign countries and the closing of manufactories across America? To me, these are factors not just behind mass shootings but the growth of right-wing radio, the NRA and FoxNews, none of which existed up until the 90's?

She also messed up one of her stats, and really undercut her thesis. If 75% of mass shootings occurred at the hands of while males, one could make the argument that whites make up about 77% of the national population, so whites are just in line with their demographic, right? Wrong. White males make up about 38% of the population, yet carrying out almost four of five mass shootings. That's a killer stat (pun intended).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But white, disgruntled, man does not fit the Trump and gun lobby narrative??

Hence any discussions that might change the status quo will be shelved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Now is not the time to discuss race or gender or guns.

Inappropriate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
so 44 White Men in a country of 300+ Million over 30 years represents some kind of "rage of the white man"?

Doing the (rough) math = .0000146% of white men per year. Divide that by 30 years = .0000000049% of white men per year.

Or to put this in perspective - this is 100x less rare than being bitten by a shark during your lifetime.

We have a word for this - it is called strawman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
so 44 White Men in a country of 300+ Million over 30 years represents some kind of "rage of the white man"?

Doing the (rough) math = .0000146% of white men per year. Divide that by 30 years = .0000000049% of white men per year.

Or to put this in perspective - this is 100x less rare than being bitten by a shark during your lifetime.

Laughs you are taking the wrong population into account. The anlaysis should not be conducted on ALL white men in the country, just the number of white men that conduct mass murders, vs any other category that conduct mass murders (black man, white woman, subcontinental Indian, etc...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
Laughs you are taking the wrong population into account. The anlaysis should not be conducted on ALL white men in the country, just the number of white men that conduct mass murders, vs any other category that conduct mass murders (black man, white woman, subcontinental Indian, etc...)

according to the article, there were 62 cases which would fall into the category of mass shooting similar to Las Vegas or Sandy Hook over the period of 1982 to 2012. 44 of those were perpetrated by white males. which means that 18 fell into the "other" category you are listing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:

It's strange how math of that kind is never pulled out for Muslim Americans that engage in terrorism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
It's strange how math of that kind is never pulled out for Muslim Americans that engage in terrorism.

No idea why not, the idea that Muslim = terrorist is complete BS. I suspect the % of muslim men who fall into the "terrorist" camp is a larger % - but larger in the range of getting bitten by a shark - i.e. a Strawman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Funny thing is, if you look at crime stats, white males are by far the number one committer of mass murders, serial killings, and race-related hate crimes. So, you know, we got that going for us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
KrazyIrish89 wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
Utrecht wrote:

I've seen that kind of math used to defend Muslim Americans here and elsewhere plenty over the last decade, so I'm not sure how you are coming to that conclusion...

It's never ever pulled out by Trump or the 30-40% of the electorate that supports the Muslim ban.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Funny thing is, if you look at crime stats, white males are by far the number one committer of mass murders, serial killings, and race-related hate crimes. So, you know, we got that going for us!

I think sex is probably the number 1 stat that is correlated to violence generally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Sue_G wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

I think sex is probably the number 1 stat that is correlated to violence generally.

I would say culture trumps gender. Women are not encouraged to be aggressive to the point of violence, men are. So, technically, we're both right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

I would say culture trumps gender. Women are not encouraged to be aggressive to the point of violence, men are. So, technically, we're both right.

We didn't say contradictory things to begin with. I never said it was genetic just correlated to sex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

It's good to be king.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
Utrecht wrote:

It should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
Sue_G wrote:

No idea why not, the idea that Muslim = terrorist is complete BS. I suspect the % of muslim men who fall into the "terrorist" camp is a larger % - but larger in the range of getting bitten by a shark - i.e. a Strawman.
So I can conclude that until the Fonz jumped the shark, he was just a strawman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
bowen wrote:
Utrecht wrote:

I would say that the 62% of white men who voted for Trump are the base of the "rage of the white man" pyramid and Stephen Paddock is its apex.

Interesting, had not seen or heard either of those stats/facts. Got any cites, would like to review - like many others understand his motivation is something I would like to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bowen wrote:
Utrecht wrote:
bowen wrote:

I would say that the 62% of white men who voted for Trump are the base of the "rage of the white man" pyramid and Stephen Paddock is its apex.

Interesting, had not seen or heard either of those stats/facts. Got any cites, would like to review - like many others understand his motivation is something I would like to know.

For Trump election polling, see:

http://www.cnn.com/election/results/exit-polls
I'm going to go ahead and point out that Paddock may very well have voted for Clinton or Johnson. He's not necessarily at the apex of Trump's white rage pyramid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
Utrecht wrote:

Lets not go down that road.
That way lies the discussion of the inherent criminality of Blacks, inherent violence of Islam etc...

If tiny percentage of white men commit mass murders, that does not reflect on all white men any more than tiny percentage of Muslims who commit terrorist acts reflects on all Muslims.

Easy generalizations and spacious 'explanations' are easy in both cases and equally disgusting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bowen wrote:
Utrecht wrote:

Again, try substituting "Muslims who believe women should wear some sort of hijab" for "Trump Voters" and "Bin-Ladin/El Baghdadi" for Paddock and reconsider your statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alaren
United States
flag msg tools
Turtle Power
badge
all the way down
mb
Silently?

Well, obviously not, in fact people seem never to shut up about it, even when they're sufficiently ignorant that they probably should. To assert that this is being "silently" accepted while dozens upon dozens of headlines are specifically talking about it seems pretty stupid.

Accepted?

Again, clearly not.

If we're going to speak frankly about which ethnicities and genders commit which crimes in which amounts, and then speculate as to why, I guess I'm open to that. But of course nobody really wants to do that unless it's specifically one of those statistics that casts white men in a uniquely unfavorable light.

I'd like to say "you can't have it both ways" but here in RSP I guess you're welcome to have it both ways. It's just transparently obvious that that's what you're doing when you refuse to talk about relationships between ethnicity and crime except when it feeds your narrative about a group you personally disfavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I wish I could leave my bones and my skin and float over the tired, tired sea, so that I could see you again
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mass Public Shootings per Decade
1900s : 0
1910s: 2
1920s: 2
1930s: 9
1940s: 8
1950s: 1
1960s: 6
1970s: 13
1980s: 32
1990s: 42
2000s: 28

Source for above data

Two thoughts:

1. Mass public shootings were "rare" before the 1930s. There were nine that decade and 8 the following decade. After that, there was a steep decline followed by a sharp and steady increase up until the 1990s. With the notable exception of the mid-century dip, the trend more or less follows parallel trends of higher population and more widespread ownership of ever more deadly personal weapons.

2. There have been three major crime waves in U.S. history (mid-1800s, late 1920s to mid 1930s, mid 1960s to early 1990s.) Prohibition, The Great Depression and the rise of organized crime correlate closely with the second one. Demographics (Baby Boomers in their youthful glory!) correlates closely with the third. It strikes me that both the sharp increases (1930s and 1980s) and the dramatic peak (1990s) occurred after or at the very tail end of these 20th-century crime waves. This suggests, but does not prove (and I have neither the means nor the will to prove it), some correlation with slightly older perpetrators who have "aged out" of their prime anti-social years but have not shed the rage or whatever it is that leads to an act of mass murder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean . . . war, right?

Like, men (lotsa white ones almost exclusively for a while, and still lotsa white ones later) all got to go out and shoot the shit out of each other once a generation or more for most of the last hundred years or so.

That must have naturally weeded out quite a few enthusiasts along with the tons of other dead people.

I didn't read the article it sounds dumb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alaren wrote:
Silently?

Well, obviously not, in fact people seem never to shut up about it, even when they're sufficiently ignorant that they probably should. To assert that this is being "silently" accepted while dozens upon dozens of headlines are specifically talking about it seems pretty stupid.

Accepted?

Again, clearly not.

If we're going to speak frankly about which ethnicities and genders commit which crimes in which amounts, and then speculate as to why, I guess I'm open to that. But of course nobody really wants to do that unless it's specifically one of those statistics that casts white men in a uniquely unfavorable light.

I'd like to say "you can't have it both ways" but here in RSP I guess you're welcome to have it both ways. It's just transparently obvious that that's what you're doing when you refuse to talk about relationships between ethnicity and crime except when it feeds your narrative about a group you personally disfavor.

Yeah, this thread title is very silly and specious. Surprised the OP posted it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.