BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Applebee's: F**k millenials, let's get drunk!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Interesting spin on this story, but of course, the main thing about is....

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/10/04/applebees-offer...

They had me at "dollar margaritas."

What is interesting is that at a time when traditional brick-and-mortar retailers are struggling, restaurants and many food chains are doing well precisely because of the younger set's love of food experiences (and probably an inability to cook, but that's just a thought). Food chains like Applebee's, though, have trouble competing with boutique restaurants that offer exotic dishes and atmospheres. So I guess they turn back to my generation -- you know, drunks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything to get people thru the doors.

But they should be examining why they are struggling. Could it be because even Millenials are tightening the belt, and have less discretionary income to spend than ever before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rice
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Blah Blah Blah
badge
I didn't know what else to do with the GG
mbmbmbmbmb
Come for the cheap booze. Stay for the bathrooms. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:

But they should be examining why they are struggling. Could it be because even Millenials are tightening the belt, and have less discretionary income to spend than ever before?

They may be tightening the belt, but what restaurants they eat at an what stores they shop at don't seem to correlate with that in my experience. Thumbing your nose at McDonald's and Wal-Mart and Winco and insisting on living in the most expensive part of town (downtown) and the like is hardly a good way to save money.

It's possible being in the Pacific NW is skewing that, so I don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:

They may be tightening the belt, but what restaurants they eat at an what stores they shop at don't seem to correlate with that in my experience. Thumbing your nose at McDonald's and Wal-Mart and Winco and insisting on living in the most expensive part of town (downtown) and the like is hardly a good way to save money.

Nope, that's my experience with Millennial's in San Antonio, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Get drunk? Have sex with 20-year olds?

I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:

It's just in the value of having 'experiences' vs 'stuff'. If you value the latter, then it makes sense to live out in the distant suburbs so you can afford rent on a 4,000 sq ft house with 3-car garage. If you value the former, you probably don't even have a car and prefer going out with friends so hardly need a kitchen. Ergo, the 100-200 sq ft 'studio' or 'efficiency' rentals popping up all about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's be real: Applebee's problem is that it's about as industrial as McDonalds, but not any cheaper. Chef Microwave does a high percentage of the kitchen work, and most of the rest is low quality frozen meat. If you want to eat cheap, you eat somewhere else. If you want to eat something that tastes better, you eat somewhere else that might not be all that much more expensive, and has a better supply chain. The parking lot at their nearby location tends to look pretty empty, and it's not as if I live in millenial central, or that the area is full of high cuisine. Meanwhile a good thai restaurant nearby that has been open for 15 years now is starting to take reservations, because now that even old people use yelp, good reviews fill a dining room.

There's still American restaurants that get a lot of traffic, but they also serve far better food for an extra dollar or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
XanderF wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:

It's just in the value of having 'experiences' vs 'stuff'. If you value the latter, then it makes sense to live out in the distant suburbs so you can afford rent on a 4,000 sq ft house with 3-car garage. If you value the former, you probably don't even have a car and prefer going out with friends so hardly need a kitchen. Ergo, the 100-200 sq ft 'studio' or 'efficiency' rentals popping up all about.

Exactly this. Baby boomers are having a hard time comprehending why their kids would rather live in a small apartment and go out and do things instead of living in track housing hours outside of the city with a big TVs, big car and bi-weekly trips to Applebees. Coupled with the fact that younger people are getting married and starting their families later in life they aren't in too much of a rush to follow in their parents footsteps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankiedamn wrote:
XanderF wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:

Exactly this. Baby boomers are having a hard time comprehending why their kids would rather live in a small apartment and go out and do things instead of living in track housing hours outside of the city with a big TVs, big car and bi-weekly trips to Applebees. Coupled with the fact that younger people are getting married and starting their families later in life they aren't in too much of a rush to follow in their parents footsteps.

So we all agree it doesn't have much to do with tightening the belt?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
applebees is fucking disgusting gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
Let's be real: Applebee's problem is that it's about as industrial as McDonalds, but not any cheaper. Chef Microwave does a high percentage of the kitchen work, and most of the rest is low quality frozen meat. If you want to eat cheap, you eat somewhere else. If you want to eat something that tastes better, you eat somewhere else that might not be all that much more expensive, and has a better supply chain. The parking lot at their nearby location tends to look pretty empty, and it's not as if I live in millenial central, or that the area is full of high cuisine. Meanwhile a good thai restaurant nearby that has been open for 15 years now is starting to take reservations, because now that even old people use yelp, good reviews fill a dining room.

There's still American restaurants that get a lot of traffic, but they also serve far better food for an extra dollar or so.

This. As a teenager, I worked for a restaurant called Friendly's, a regional family sit-down restaurant. It died right as I went to college, though, because it was neither fish nor fowl. It was too slow and expensive for cheap eats, and not nearly good enough to justify actually eating in and paying for the service.

If I want cheap and fast, I'll get dive Chinese. If I want to make an evening of it, I'm sure as hell not going to go to a chain restaurant to get freeze-aisle food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eaglebeak wrote:
hibikir wrote:

This. As a teenager, I worked for a restaurant called Friendly's, a regional family sit-down restaurant. It died right as I went to college, though, because it was neither fish nor fowl. It was too slow and expensive for cheap eats, and not nearly good enough to justify actually eating in and paying for the service.

If I want cheap and fast, I'll get dive Chinese. If I want to make an evening of it, I'm sure as hell not going to go to a chain restaurant to get freeze-aisle food.

Oh Friendly's is still plenty alive, sadly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
Frankiedamn wrote:
XanderF wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:

I really don't see any "tightening the belt" happening anywhere, at any level of the economy.

Not a good or bad thing, just an observation. The economy is not in great shape, and it's certainly true that the strong growth we've seen over the past decade has not been distributed at all evenly - but the impact of that hasn't really seemed to result in substantial shifts in behavior. Yet, anyway. Arguably more online shopping, but that was happening anyway as companies like Amazon have pushed for faster and faster delivery options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
eaglebeak wrote:
hibikir wrote:

Oh Friendly's is still plenty alive, sadly.

Haha yeahh...

I used to like them cause they were cheap and you got a decent amount of food. Now it's half again as much for a half the food. For a grilled cheese sandwich or nachos or something. Oh and tip the person a lot for being slow. Pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
ejmowrer wrote:

Not really. For me living in an 'urban' part of town is significantly cheaper then living in a traditionally suburban or rural area. I use my car maybe once or twice a week and take care of most of my errands on foot or on bike, so thats a big savings. I'm not in a particularly trendy part of town so my rent is pretty reasonable (I have friends that live an hour outside of town paying almost double what I am). The dozens of mom and pop mexican, thai and whatever other kind of cuisine around me is significantly cheaper and better then Applebees or TGI Fridays. And above all I consider my time to be valuable so not spending hours commuting every day is an incredible value. Being able to go out and do things without getting into my car or use an uber is huge.

I'm not saying my lifestyle is for everyone, but it works pretty well for me. Not all of us city folk are decadent elites
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
To paraphrase the truth in this thread:

If you are gonna eat shit, eat cheap shit or good shit. If you want to eat well, you pay more. What pay more than eating cheap shit when it's not even good shit unless you want to eat well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.