Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Unfair» Forums » General

Subject: CAUTION: Replacement parts may cost you taxes + customs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Dietze
Austria
Lannach
Steiermark
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my replacement parts (cards + board) delivered today. My wife received the package and had to pay 27 Euro of customs and taxes for it. She did not know what it was so she paid.
Afterwards I checked the documents. The people who sent out the replacement parts labeled the package as a boardgame valued at 105,30 USD.

So, beware if you are in the European Union that there might be some additional money required if you want your replacement parts!

I contacted Good Games with the problem via Kickstarter Message.
Waiting for an answer - could take a while as I understood as Kim seems to be on vacation for a week.

I just hope that this story comes to a satisfying end, so far it was a roller coaster ride. (Pun intended)

Edit: Removed a swear word that was written in the heat of the moment. Sorry for that!

Edit2: Kim made good on his promise. I got the 27 Euro refunded via Paypal. So if this happened to you too, contact Good Games directly.
Thanks a lot!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's weird! I received my package as well but no customs thankfully.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rennie
United Kingdom
Louth
flag msg tools
mbmb
That’s really unfair!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
MadHamish wrote:
I got my replacement parts (cards + board) delivered today. My wife received the package and had to pay 27 Euro of customs and taxes for it. She did not know what it was so she paid.
Afterwards I checked the documents. The people who sent out the replacement parts labeled the package as a boardgame valued at 105,30 USD. *WTF*?

So, beware if you are in the European Union that there might be some additional money required if you want your replacement parts!

I contacted Good Games with the problem via Kickstarter Message.
Waiting for an answer - could take a while as I understood as Kim seems to be on vacation for a week.

I just hope that this story comes to a satisfying end, so far it was a roller coaster ride. (Pun intended)


Apologies for this Robert.

Our fulfillment partner mistakenly labelled some of the Unfair replacement packages declared value at $105.30 which is clearly a mistake for replacement parts. They should have been $10.53 as most were. Yes that is Unfair. Clowns. This will be over the VAT threshold in the EU countries and attract a VAT payment and handling fee.

We will reimburse you that via paypal and the fulfillment company that stuffed it up will pay us back. Please take photos of documentation and message me on BGG to follow up.

Nice pun work there.

Kim

  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomislav Jaklenec
Croatia
Rakov Potok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kbrebach wrote:
MadHamish wrote:
I got my replacement parts (cards + board) delivered today. My wife received the package and had to pay 27 Euro of customs and taxes for it. She did not know what it was so she paid.
Afterwards I checked the documents. The people who sent out the replacement parts labeled the package as a boardgame valued at 105,30 USD. *WTF*?

So, beware if you are in the European Union that there might be some additional money required if you want your replacement parts!

I contacted Good Games with the problem via Kickstarter Message.
Waiting for an answer - could take a while as I understood as Kim seems to be on vacation for a week.

I just hope that this story comes to a satisfying end, so far it was a roller coaster ride. (Pun intended)


Apologies for this Robert.

Our fulfillment partner mistakenly labelled some of the Unfair replacement packages declared value at $105.30 which is clearly a mistake for replacement parts. They should have been $10.53 as most were. Yes that is Unfair. Clowns. This will be over the VAT threshold in the EU countries and attract a VAT payment and handling fee.

We will reimburse you that via paypal and the fulfillment company that stuffed it up will pay us back. Please take photos of documentation and message me on BGG to follow up.

Nice pun work there.

Kim



Your project is EU friendly so the replecments should be eu friendly. We as citizens of the EU have that right not to pay tax/vat for your mistakes now. You should be forbiden to do eu friendly shiping if yo uexpect us from the eu to pay for your mistakes.

If your game was sent with no taxes/vat so should the replacment parts
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Krscho wrote:
kbrebach wrote:
MadHamish wrote:
I got my replacement parts (cards + board) delivered today. My wife received the package and had to pay 27 Euro of customs and taxes for it. She did not know what it was so she paid.
Afterwards I checked the documents. The people who sent out the replacement parts labeled the package as a boardgame valued at 105,30 USD. *WTF*?

So, beware if you are in the European Union that there might be some additional money required if you want your replacement parts!

I contacted Good Games with the problem via Kickstarter Message.
Waiting for an answer - could take a while as I understood as Kim seems to be on vacation for a week.

I just hope that this story comes to a satisfying end, so far it was a roller coaster ride. (Pun intended)


Apologies for this Robert.

Our fulfillment partner mistakenly labelled some of the Unfair replacement packages declared value at $105.30 which is clearly a mistake for replacement parts. They should have been $10.53 as most were. Yes that is Unfair. Clowns. This will be over the VAT threshold in the EU countries and attract a VAT payment and handling fee.

We will reimburse you that via paypal and the fulfillment company that stuffed it up will pay us back. Please take photos of documentation and message me on BGG to follow up.

Nice pun work there.

Kim



Your project is EU friendly so the replecments should be eu friendly. We as citizens of the EU have that right not to pay tax/vat for your mistakes now. You should be forbiden to do eu friendly shiping if yo uexpect us from the eu to pay for your mistakes.

If your game was sent with no taxes/vat so should the replacment parts


Did you even read the update to which you are replying?
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously. And such indignation.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Tomislav it wasn't financially feasible or fast to send EU replacement parts by air or sea to Europe first, then mail them out from the EU as we did with the original packages.

Nor was it generally necessary thanks to the general 22 euro VAT free threshold which most packages would be under in most EU countries. Im not sure whether you are aware of that.

So whilst the project was EU friendly, we had solutions in place for the vast majority (ie 95%) of people that would see them not have to pay VAT or handling fees. Which is functionally the same as being EU friendly.

Hundreds of replacement packages have already arrived to EU backers without being charged VAT (with a declared value of USD$10.5 that is below the general EU VAT free threshold of 22 euros). However 5 EU countries don't have that threshold so we are refunding any charges for replacement to backers there (under 5 people so far).

But it also seems that our fulfillment partner sent a few packages out with the incorrect declared value of USD$105 instead of $10.5 (slipped a decimal point 1 space right) which will trigger VAT & handling fees no matter where you are in Europe. I guess this happened to you. But so far it seems rare (you are the 5th I know of). If this happens to anyone else they can simply pay the fees, take photos of the documents, get in touch with us via Kickstarter and we will refund the charges.

We planned everything well. Most of it has gone according to plan, And we are yet again fixing the stuff ups made by our partners for EVERY BACKER.
9 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Everything!
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
Seriously. And such indignation.


Everyone should keep in mind that a) people often often often respond to a post before reading the entire thread, so don't spank him for that because that is an exceptionally common problem that I have rarely seen people publically spanked for.

b) English isn't everyone's first/best language, so the post (even addressing an issue that has already been settled) might have been more diplomatic in another language.

c) The title and OP were both negative and bitter, the issue would have probably would have been best handled with the question asked privately to the sponsors rather than put out as a general rallying cry. So, while you're blaming this poor guy for reacting to the title and the lead post, maybe consider hucking some of the blame for the tone this has taken at the lead poster?

Finally? Consider making complaints private until you know they won't be resolved and maybe think the best of a post rather than the worst of something (that goes for all of you on either side of the issue).

Edit, added: And PLEASE, now that the facts are know, PLEASE change the title of this thread (only the person who started the thread can do this).

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tigiba wrote:
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
Seriously. And such indignation.


Everyone should keep in mind that a) people often often often respond to a post before reading the entire thread, so don't spank him for that because that is an exceptionally common problem that I have rarely seen people publically spanked for.

b) English isn't everyone's first/best language, so the post (even addressing an issue that has already been settled) might have been more diplomatic in another language.

c) The OP was kinda bitter and probably would have been best handled with the question asked privately to the sponsors rather than put out as a general rallying cry.

Finally? Consider making complaints private until you know they won't be resolved and maybe think the best of a post rather than the worst of something (that goes for all of you on either side of the issue).


except he specifically responded to the post where the publisher explained what went wrong and how the publisher was paying the cost. If someone is going to be rude and indignant, they really should try harder to have some justification
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Everything!
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
tigiba wrote:
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
Seriously. And such indignation.


Everyone should keep in mind that a) people often often often respond to a post before reading the entire thread, so don't spank him for that because that is an exceptionally common problem that I have rarely seen people publically spanked for.

b) English isn't everyone's first/best language, so the post (even addressing an issue that has already been settled) might have been more diplomatic in another language.

c) The OP was kinda bitter and probably would have been best handled with the question asked privately to the sponsors rather than put out as a general rallying cry.

Finally? Consider making complaints private until you know they won't be resolved and maybe think the best of a post rather than the worst of something (that goes for all of you on either side of the issue).


except he specifically responded to the post where the publisher explained what went wrong and how the publisher was paying the cost. If someone is going to be rude and indignant, they really should try harder to have some justification


I get the feeling that on BGG it's always acceptable to respond to something nasty with something snarky without taking a view. Again, I suspect English isn't a first/best language here and also I'm very surprised that the OP hasn't come back to say thanks. The title of the thread is inflammatory, the first post is inflammatory, saying thank you for resolving the issue so quickly to perfect satisfaction seems like the least response that could have been made.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Wang
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Procurer of rare and exclusive titles.
badge
I'm blue daba dee daba die daba deeeeeee daba die
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sydney Australia here.

Still haven't received replacements. I messageed Kim 3 weeks ago and he said it should arrive 2 weeks ago. The lack of communication is killing me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Lawrence have you not been reading the comments where i go into great detail about the status of things?

Im plowing through many many messages now. If yours is in there i will get to it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
<rabid indignation>

Oh, c'mon Kim - you're answering messages instead of delivering cards!?!?

I demand you hand deliver my cards, to compensate me for the outrage and anxiety I'm feeling. I could also do with a nice foot rub while you have the time.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Dietze
Austria
Lannach
Steiermark
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kim, you got a message
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Dietze
Austria
Lannach
Steiermark
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tigiba wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
tigiba wrote:
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
Seriously. And such indignation.


Everyone should keep in mind that a) people often often often respond to a post before reading the entire thread, so don't spank him for that because that is an exceptionally common problem that I have rarely seen people publically spanked for.

b) English isn't everyone's first/best language, so the post (even addressing an issue that has already been settled) might have been more diplomatic in another language.

c) The OP was kinda bitter and probably would have been best handled with the question asked privately to the sponsors rather than put out as a general rallying cry.

Finally? Consider making complaints private until you know they won't be resolved and maybe think the best of a post rather than the worst of something (that goes for all of you on either side of the issue).


except he specifically responded to the post where the publisher explained what went wrong and how the publisher was paying the cost. If someone is going to be rude and indignant, they really should try harder to have some justification


I get the feeling that on BGG it's always acceptable to respond to something nasty with something snarky without taking a view. Again, I suspect English isn't a first/best language here and also I'm very surprised that the OP hasn't come back to say thanks. The title of the thread is inflammatory, the first post is inflammatory, saying thank you for resolving the issue so quickly to perfect satisfaction seems like the least response that could have been made.


Sorry that my original post incited that much anger in you.
It was not meant to be inflammatory it was meant as a warning to other people in my situation. Sorry again.

As others do not yet have their replacements yet, it might still happen that they are hit with unexpected costs. Thus I will not change the heading of the post, especially with Kim's answer in it maybe helping others to understand the situation.

I am a bit hurt that you play the character judge here and that you feel entitled to use your expectations about what I did or did not, should do or not do as an excuse for the rude post of someone else.

Regarding thanks: I will give thanks to Kim and the company when the issue is resolved and the money is refunded. No question there. I also thanked them in my messages on BGG and Kickstarter - if that makes you sleep better.

Again, I am sorry, that you feel angered by my post, but I do not think your reaction to it is adequate or from a standpoint of knowing the facts.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert - your post isn't the one being referenced here, but the one from another member who berated Kim after he replied to you and explained how he was fixing things. You're fine and your original post is/was wholly justified given what happened.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Dietze
Austria
Lannach
Steiermark
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
Robert - your post isn't the one being referenced here, but the one from another member who berated Kim after he replied to you and explained how he was fixing things. You're fine and your original post is/was wholly justified given what happened.


Thanks for the kind words.

tigiba refers to the OP (original poster) and threat creator, which makes me the target of her/his statements.

If tigiba corrects my interpretation I happily remove my last post and ask for forgiveness.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Everything!
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize if I've upset you with my comments.

My first post was trying to get people to maybe step back and see why the other guy from the EU might have flown off the handle vs. rendering judgement. My personal opinion is that he read the title and the first post and replied to the thread out of rage. I agree that he didn't read Kim's reply carefully, but he wouldn't be the first person to reply to the last post in a thread without reading the thread.

I think a good part of what set that guy off was the title of the thread and the original post, plus English isn't always someone's first/best language and I think it's easy for us to forget that.

In my opinion, if the word 'mistakenly' had appeared in the title of the thread, implying that you shouldn't be charged customs and it's a mistake if you are charged, that might have been both less inflammatory and more accurate. I also think it would have been appropriate to contact the company first, in private, so they can figure out what's going wrong and make it right -- and, if more customers are likely affected, let the company notify them accordingly.

And, I guess, if you got good customer service, it seems like you should be as quick to thank them as you were to expose their gaffe.

I'm not judge, jury, and executioner, but I am allowed to have an opinion about a post, yeah?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Dietze
Austria
Lannach
Steiermark
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tigiba wrote:

And, I guess, if you got good customer service, it seems like you should be as quick to thank them as you were to expose their gaffe.


And again this judgement is made absent of the facts.
I did not check this thread on BGG until today in the morning. Which is not completely strange considering that Kim answered on my post from Oct. 4th roughly 10 days later.
But I get lambasted for not answering within less than 24 hours (your post is from Monday)? So much for double standards.

Even opinions should have some basis in facts especially if you are attacking somebody elses personal integrity. You would expect the same fairness from other people, I guess.

This is my last post on the topic. I am sorry for troubling the rest of you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Everything!
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MadHamish wrote:
tigiba wrote:

And, I guess, if you got good customer service, it seems like you should be as quick to thank them as you were to expose their gaffe.


And again this judgement is made absent of the facts.
I did not check this thread on BGG until today in the morning. Which is not completely strange considering that Kim answered on my post from Oct. 4th roughly 10 days later.
But I get lambasted for not answering within less than 24 hours (your post is from Monday)? So much for double standards.

Even opinions should have some basis in facts especially if you are attacking somebody elses personal integrity. You would expect the same fairness from other people, I guess.

This is my last post on the topic. I am sorry for troubling the rest of you.


Again, my apologies -- but, to quote your original post: surely it was clear that "The people who sent out the replacement parts labeled the package as a boardgame valued at 105,30 USD." suggested there was a mistake, yeah?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Its all good guys. There is a little understandable heat in the project now because of various annoying mistakes. But Im doing my best to resolve final issues and making really good progress doing it. Most people totally understand that.

Sorry there was a 10 day delay in my answering this as I went on a pacific island family holiday the day of this post with very spotty & limited internet access.

The thing we care about most is that the remaining few people all get what you paid for and what we promised, without being out of pocket, and that you enjoy the game in the spirit intended.
8 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.