Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the opportunity to try Crosstalk out for the first time last night with my wife, daughter, son and the latter two's respective boyfriend and girlfriend. It was my birthday present: not the game itself but rather being 'granted' the opportunity to introduce a new game, particularly to my wife and daughter. I have to walk this really fine line between introducing casual games that are neither too easy (my wife and daughter rejected Diamant/Incan Gold as a 'brain dead' game) nor too 'thinky' (rejected 7 Wonders for its point salad approach to scoring). Given this demanding criteria, I wasn't sure how Crosstalk would fare.

It was a BIG success. All basically felt it had simple yet compelling mechanics and encouraged both creative and tactical thinking. The real indicator of success: it elicited a lot of discussion afterwards from both teams about how certain clues would have been replayed. My wife stated afterwards that she strongly prefers it over Codenames. And this was without introducing the hint boards. My wife and daughter initially reacted negatively to introducing them thinking they would add unnecessary complexity. But after consecutive rounds of exhausting all eight available public clue slots without either party guessing the keyword (both teams got carried away with subtlety), we all recognized the value/utility of including the hint boards the next time we play. I am really looking forward to playing again using the full scope of the mechanics, and (hopefully) of making this a staple party game for many game nights to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Wigmore
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great anecdote. Thanks for sharing.

I had a similar first experience, with an experienced group who has fairly diverse gaming tastes. That made me worried about how it would go.

It went over like gangbusters. Lots of laughs, whispers, strategy, fake-outs, dramatic reveals, etc. It was fantastic. Also had the post-game discussion too. Lots of people wanting to know thought processes, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious: did you use the hint boards from the get go?
We have yet to try them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Wigmore
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No, we didn't use them in the first game either. Didn't feel they were needed while learning, which is what the rule book suggested.

I'd add them in the future with an experienced group of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.